• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E small Monk change to decrease Dex dependency

GlassJaw

Hero
Just a note about upping the reliance on WIS: WIS determines the save DC for things like stunning strike. So getting rid of the incentive to raise DEX creates an incentive to just pump everything into WIS, making the monk better at any move that requires a save on the part of the target.
I like it for everything except replacing Str or Dex for attack and damage rolls. As @dnd4vr mentioned, it's basically how all the classes are built. The monk is unnecessarily MAD and one of the main contributors to its flaws. Removing some of that dependency goes a long way to give the monk a much-needed shot in the arm.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I do like this but I'm slightly "concerned" (for lack of a better word) with using proficiency to increase AC. It doesn't have any precedent anywhere else in the rules. Proficiency applies to saving throws but I don't believe it is used to add to AC anywhere (correct me if I'm wrong).
No, no one else uses it as far as I know. We went this route months ago, however, and to our table is just "makes sense". Your defense, as a monk, with unarmored defense is about your martial arts as we see it. Your training is what allows you to avoid hits, lessen blows, etc. as well as a bit of learning how to take a hit. Since proficiency increases with level, your ability to defend yourself should increase as well. Since we go with either DEX or WIS, if the player also bumps one of these they bump AC. Think of it this way: in the long run, your AC will max out at 21 assuming you have a +5 for DEX or WIS. In the current game, you need a +5 in BOTH just to get AC 20.

Monks are supposed to be battlers--not casters. A minor bump to AC won't hurt, and it lessens the MAD, which IMO is a good thing.

I'm hesitant to use Wisdom to replace Str or Dex for attack and damage. Other melee classes don't get that benefit. Hexblade is a special case and one of the few (if only) places to completely replace Str or Dex with another stat for both attack and damage rolls.
Yeah, this is one I am iffy on, myself, and I think changing it so you can use WIS for the attack roll, but not damage, is a good middle ground. It removes STR/DEX from attacking but those are still needed for damage.

Another route (since monk martial arts damage is so pathetic) is to allow monks to add their WIS modifier to damage on one hit per turn? Or maybe use WIS modifier as a bonus on one attack per turn? I feel like there is some way to work this in and I like it for the "vital strikes" aspect of monks. shrug

FWIW, we did two other things for monks in our games:
1. martial art damage is bumped up one stage. So, d4 becomes d6, and in the end d10 becomes d12. It helps keep them on pace with other battlers for DPR.
2. part of unarmored movement for monks allows them to use their reaction to "instant stand" whenever they suffer the prone condition (knocked prone, tripped, falling, etc.).

Those two plus the revised Unarmored Defensive I listed above are currently our three monk "boosts". We like it and find the monk more competitive in terms of AC, damage, etc. to the other battlers now. :)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Because my home game has batling monasteries, I stole a bit for Avatar and allow monks to choose different traditions that alter their AC calculation

Unarmored Defense​

Beginning at 1st level, while you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals a number based on your monastic tradition.

Air: 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier.
Darkness: 10 + your Strength modifier + your Wisdom modifier.
Earth: 10 + your Strength modifier + your Constitution modifier.
Light: 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Constitution modifier.
Metal: 10 + your Constitution modifier + your Wisdom modifier.
Fire: 10 + your Strength modifier + your Dexterity modifier.
Water: 13 + your Wisdom modifier.
Wood: 16

Stalker0

Legend
I do like this but I'm slightly "concerned" (for lack of a better word) with using proficiency to increase AC. It doesn't have any precedent anywhere else in the rules.

While true you could say that about a lot of mechanics in the game, especially for classes. Rogues are the only ones that get sneak attack. Barbarians can gain advantage on attacks at will and can add their con to their AC. Wizards can cast rituals they don't even have prepared that day...etc.

Every class by design bends the rules a bit, that's what makes them cool and special. So the idea that the monk is the one class that can actually allow its training to effect its AC....that is well within the "classes bend the rules" notion.

Now personally I do not see a need for a monk to be push to "all wisdom". I think the 10 + dex or wis + prof is good enough, it doesn't fundamentally change the math too much, but allows the monk a wider range of options to stay competent.

To the notion "adding Wis to their initiative modifier", I think that is also a fine little bump for the class if you want to go that route.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads