• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

sniper shot spell question

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
RigaMortus2 said:
I'm not sure it would work... If RP is treated as Sneak Attack in all other ways, then would it allow someone to enter a PrC that requires you to have Sneak Attack?

Most PrCs have a requirement of "+1d6 Sneak Attack" or "+5d6 Sneak Attack", don't they?

Wouldn't 5d8 fail to satisfy the requirement?

-Hyp.

moritheil

First Post
LokiDR said:
Point blank shot is precision based damage that is only applicable in 30'. Minus the last sentence of RP (which I had been spacing out), RP is the same.

But that last sentence IS there.

moritheil

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Most PrCs have a requirement of "+1d6 Sneak Attack" or "+5d6 Sneak Attack", don't they?

Wouldn't 5d8 fail to satisfy the requirement?

-Hyp.

Would a rogue with +3d6 Sneak Attack be disallowed from entering a PrC that asked for +2d6 SA as a requirement? Normally it's "meet or exceed." Doesn't 5d8 meet or exceed 5d6?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
moritheil said:
Would a rogue with +3d6 Sneak Attack be disallowed from entering a PrC that asked for +2d6 SA as a requirement? Normally it's "meet or exceed." Doesn't 5d8 meet or exceed 5d6?

A rogue with +3d6 sneak attack has +2d6 sneak attack and +1d6 sneak attack.

A character with +3d8 Ranged Precision doesn't have any d6s at all.

I'm not sure if it qualifies or not...

-Hyp.

moritheil

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

I don't know about that. The dice happen to be different, but d8s still meet or exceed the requirement, which is how meeting requirements for PrCs tends to be thought of and articulated. It would be an eminently reasonable call to rule it otherwise, but I still think that by a strict reading, it should be okay.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

If a PrC has "+3d6 Sneak Attack" as a requirement to enter the class, that means you need to be capable of doing at least +3d6 damage with Sneak Attack (or more). +3d8 Ranged Precision is more, is it not?

Also, would "Deadly Precision" feat (from XPH) work in conjunction with Ranged Precision? I would personally think so...

moritheil

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
If a PrC has "+3d6 Sneak Attack" as a requirement to enter the class, that means you need to be capable of doing at least +3d6 damage with Sneak Attack (or more). +3d8 Ranged Precision is more, is it not?

I see I'm not the only one to immediately think that. ;)

RigaMortus2 said:

So, what if a PrC had "+4d6 Sneak Attack" as a requirement?

Does +3d8 Ranged Precision count?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
So, what if a PrC had "+4d6 Sneak Attack" as a requirement?

Does +3d8 Ranged Precision count?

Or +5d6 vs +4d8.

5d6 has an average of 17.5 and a max of 30. 4d8 has an average of 18 and a max of 32.

Does 4d8 exceed 5d6?

And can a d8 of ranged precision be used for a feat like Arterial Strike, that works when you sacrifice 1d6 of sneak attack damage?

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads