• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

sniper shot spell question

RigaMortus2

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Or +5d6 vs +4d8.

5d6 has an average of 17.5 and a max of 30. 4d8 has an average of 18 and a max of 32.

Does 4d8 exceed 5d6?

And can a d8 of ranged precision be used for a feat like Arterial Strike, that works when you sacrifice 1d6 of sneak attack damage?

-Hyp.

You're the rules guru, you tell me :)

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I think Hypersmurf is right to point out that a rogue with +3d6 sneak attack also has +2d6 sneak attack and +1d6 sneak attack. He doesn't lose the previous abilities, but they are rendered redundant by the overlap rules. So a rogue with +3d6 sneak attack can satisfy a +1d6 sneak attack prerequisite, but a hypothetical character has +1d12 sneak attack couldn't, nor could someone with +3d8 sneak attack. So RP is right out.

ARandomGod

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Does 4d8 exceed 5d6?
And can a d8 of ranged precision be used for a feat like Arterial Strike, that works when you sacrifice 1d6 of sneak attack damage?

-Hyp.

If I were to allow RP to count for sneak attacks in such cases, I'd require the number of dice to the same, not the average, or maximum. (In other words, the *minumum* seems as important to me. 4d8 has a min of 4, 5d6 a min of 5, so you must be garunteed at least a five as well as have a max at or above).

Could it be used for such feats? Well, if I allowed it to be used as a requirement for PrC's I'd personally feel obligated to allow it for feats. Of course, in so saying, as a GM I reserve the right to refuse any PrC or feat to anyone. Sometimes even on a case by case bases.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads