• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, after the Green Ronin announcement, I am...

After hearing Green Ronin's announcement, I am ...

• Thrilled! I was hoping for a Dragon Age RPG!

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • Not what I was expecting, but interested.

Votes: 25 9.0%
  • Cautiously interested. GR could make something cool here.

Votes: 56 20.1%
  • Simply not interested, end of story.

Votes: 56 20.1%
  • Uninterested, and rather disappointed there was a timer for this.

Votes: 92 33.0%
  • I am a special snowflake and deny your poll options.

Votes: 20 7.2%
  • I am Chris Pramas

Votes: 20 7.2%

Cadfan

First Post
Is it possible that Dragon Age isn't another generic swords/magic/fantasy western medieval setting? I mean, its not released yet, maybe its got something really unique going for it?

If not, it might still be a good game, because, you know, I like western medieval fantasy. But I'm not sure what another RPG would do for me.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
I think people fail to see what a big deal this is for Green Ronin. It is a pretty major coup for them to land this license and they are understandably excited (explains the countdown timer).

Dragon Age is going to be a major Computer RPG release when it comes out (game of the year type stuff). It will appeal to a lot of CRPG players new and old and is being made by a top notch developer (Bioware) with a even bigger publisher behind it (EA).

Licenses are difficult to negotiate, especially with a big corporation like EA. For smaller companies going after a license, it can be hard to even get past the switch board of a juggernaut like EA, let alone land a property.

To put it into perspective: of the licenses that are out there that a publisher could get for a Table Top RPG, I would say the strongest are:

Marvel Universe
DC Universe
Lord of the Rings (unclear where rights are)
Star Trek (unclear where rights are)
Terminator
Dark Tower/Gunslinger
Final Fantasy
Dragon Age

This is just off the top of my head but when you start to look at the licensed property landscape there is not much out there that is a) available b) worth the time and expense to publish.

Congrats! I hope it does well for Pramas and co.

Last edited:

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
I put dissapointed, and I put it because I do know what Dragon Age is. It's another boring crappy RPG just like every other game that Bioiware has done in their feeble attempts to win back their Baldur's Gate glory. Protip: none of their games are at those standards, and so long as they keep their team, none will. Bioware didn't make the Baldur's Gate series, Black Isle did. They've just been claiming the glory to sell their trash.

Oh wait, now I have tabletop rules to play in cliche generic medieval Europe. That's new and fresh, right...?

You want to make a tabletop setting/rules based on an RPG? Wake me up when they make a ruleset for Arcanum or Morrowind P&P. You know, something unique.

Woas

First Post
I put dissapointed, and I put it because I do know what Dragon Age is. It's another boring crappy RPG just like every other game that Bioiware has done in their feeble attempts to win back their Baldur's Gate glory. Protip: none of their games are at those standards, and so long as they keep their team, none will. Bioware didn't make the Baldur's Gate series, Black Isle did. They've just been claiming the glory to sell their trash.

QFT. Black Isle are the real heroes behind the awesomeness that was the original Fallout 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment.

Agamon

Adventurer
Okay, I knew about and have been looking forward to DA the video game for a couple years now, but not enough to follow along with development to see what the setting is like, so I'm not sure if I'd be all that interested in it. I'm not sure I'd want to play it over SIFRP, for example (well, bad example, I know that I'd personally much rather play SIFRP over most other games, but you get my meaning). And just like all the video gamers didn't exactly flock to the EQ and WOW RPGs, I don't see BW fans necessarily being interested in this either. So I'm not sure who this is for. I guess if BW makes a great game with an awesome setting and GR follows that up with awesome RPG, then it could garner some interest.

xechnao

First Post
I just googled "greenronin dragon age" and it seems Greenronin is getting the exposure a 9th level wish spell could grant.

Interesting random comment of some poster in some site:

"I've wanted to try getting into some pen and paper RPG'ing for a while now and this seems like a good occasion. Do you think this RPG will be easy for a noob to get into?"

;)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I think people fail to see what a big deal this is for Green Ronin. It is a pretty major coup for them to land this license and they are understandably excited ... (snip)

Thanks for the perspective Scott. When you put it that way it does show how it's a pretty big deal. Good job Green Ronin, and best wishes on the new endeavor.

And again, you're a class act Scott, for sticking up for a competitor that way. (Yeah, yeah. I know you're friends, or at least professional friends, but it's still a class act.):cool:

crash_beedo

First Post
Marvel Universe
DC Universe
Lord of the Rings (unclear where rights are)
Star Trek (unclear where rights are)
Terminator
Dark Tower/Gunslinger
Final Fantasy
Dragon Age

What? Dark Tower as a major license? Could this mention mean we might see a 4E version of Dark Tower?

Yeah, on the GR announcement, yawn. I got excited wtih the hype when I was reading maybe it was LOTR or DCU; I really like M&M. Ah well, maybe next time. Good luck GR fellas.

Remove ads