So...am I evil??

Am I evil? (5e on the shelf 4e in the garage...inc).

• Absolutely...Chaotic Evil

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • More Neutral Evil

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • Possibly Lawful Evil

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Nah...More Chaotic Neutral

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Neutral

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Wierd, but I think it's Lawful Neutral

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Chaotic good only possible in 5e (not 4e)

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Definately...Neutral Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Actually, the opposite...Lawful Good

Votes: 6 7.1%

I will hope your son gives it a try I like 5e. But yeah I kind of feeling it was jerky and no matter what you should return the books pretty quickly.

S

Sunseeker

Are you...seriously a parent?

Because if this is a ha-ha 4E sucks troll post, it's kinda funny.

If you seriously did this to your kid. You suck as a DM, a human being, and a parent.

Harzel

Adventurer
I am not going to try to classify you as a human being, but I definitely think your behavior in this case was quite wrong-headed. You don't mention having any discussion with him prior to your 'coup'; if you didn't that is particularly astonishing.

S

Sunseeker

Who paid for the 4E books?

I hate this question. If you buy a gift for someone, it's theirs. It doesn't matter if that person is 5 or 55. You don't have a right to take it back because you're tired of them enjoying your gift. And no, don't pull "As long as you live under my roof...." that's ridiculous in application here. Any parent who did that over a TTRPG would do nothing more than demonstrate that they are a terrible parent.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Are you...seriously a parent?

Because if this is a ha-ha 4E sucks troll post, it's kinda funny.

If you seriously did this to your kid. You suck as a DM, a human being, and a parent.

Yeah... this isn't about gaming anymore, it's about *parenting*, something that is waaaaaay more important. Now parenting is hard. We do the best we can, and sometimes we screw up.

And this is quite the screw up, done for seemingly selfish reasons.

I really, really, hope that this is either a bad joke, or you are *thinking* about doing this and asking around to see if it's a good idea. If you haven't done this yet, *don't do it*. There are better approaches than this.

For example "Son, I know you like 4e, but quite frankly we're getting a bit tired of it. Isn't it time to try something new? Tell you what - I'll buy you a bunch of 5e books, and in exchange we switch to that system for the next 6 months. Sounds fair?"

I hate this question. If you buy a gift for someone, it's theirs. It doesn't matter if that person is 5 or 55. You don't have a right to take it back because you're tired of them enjoying your gift. And no, don't pull "As long as you live under my roof...." that's ridiculous in application here. Any parent who did that over a TTRPG would do nothing more than demonstrate that they are a terrible parent.
I’m on your side, and think this is a pretty dick move. I’m actually just probing to see if this constitutes legal theft. Gifts to minors are much harder to prove. But if the son is the legal buyer with a paper trail to prove it?

Yeah.

Not that calling the cops on your father over some books is a good long term idea.

Shiroiken

Legend
As a good rule of thumb, if you have to ask, the answer is almost always yes...

Anywho, while I think convincing him to try 5E (with you as the DM, since it's your idea) is a good idea, as I think it's a superior system for most players, your method of "convincing" him will probably have the result of him not actually giving 5E a fair chance (since he'll think if everyone hates it, they'll go back to his beloved 4E), and a huge level of resentment aimed at you. I hope this is a hypothetical, for reasons stated by others.

I'll agree the question should be "who owns the books?" because gift or not is irrelevant, as they belong to the son. However, if the OP bought them for his own use, they wouldn't actually be his son's property.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Wow, hiding someone's car counts as a pretty mild practical joke IME, folks around here must think it grounds for execution if they get this upset about putting your kids books in storage and filling their shelf with new ones.

Remove ads