• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) So, Cunning Srike?!

Sulicius

Adventurer
As I am sure that Expertise and Concentration free Hunters mark for Rangers passed 70% and we saw now how that turned out.
People can like something, but they found it to be overpowered. That happens, it is part of game design.

Cunning strike seems pretty great. It gives a rogue a lot more options at a small cost. Perfect, because I am of the opinion that classes should not only be buffed in this revision.

I don't like the idea of all the DC's keying off of Dexterity. It makes rogues even more SAD (EDIT, thanks Charlaquin) than they already are. Having my BBEG get pushed over and fumbling for his weapon every turn is a sure way to make me throw in the towel.

I am optimistic about this rogue!

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
More options:
Bleeding attack:
-1d6,
your target suffers bleeding damage at the beginning on it's turn.
Damage is equal to number of d6s that remain on your sneak attack.

Bleeding can be stopped as an action with Medicine check equal to your DC(dex based) or getting magical healing(potions included) in amount larger than bleeding damage.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don't like the idea of all the DC's keying off of Dexterity. It makes rogues even more MAD than they already are. Having my BBEG get pushed over and fumbling for his weapon every turn is a sure way to make me throw in the towel.
I assume you mean SAD. I could see them maybe keying off Charisma instead, I guess? I dunno, Dex makes sense to me.

Charlaquin

I always thought INT to be the rogue's secondary stat. I guess dex is fine, yeah. All those things seem pretty dextrous.
It was in 3e, when Int gave you bonus skill points. In 5e, rogues rarely do anything that requires Int (Arcane Tricksters and multiclass rogues notwithstanding). Pretty much just Investigation, which you can compensate for a low Int in with expertise. Personally, I think the most important stat for rogues after Dexterity is actually Wisdom, because that’s useful both for perception and insight, and it’s one of the big three saving throw abilities. Constitution is obviously important for everyone. Charisma is for one or two iconic rogue skills (mainly Deception and maybe Persuasion or Intimidation), so it can be nice to have but isn’t super important to invest heavily in. That leaves Intelligence as the least important stat for rogues other than Strength, which is obviously useless for them, especially with Thieves now getting to jump with Dex.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

I think this is mostly making up for the fact that they don't get multiple mastery attacks.
Oh, that makes a ton of sense!

Well hey, if weapon mastery existing has the knock-on effects of rogues finally getting the option to apply various debuffs with sneak attack, I’ll shout its praises from the rooftops.

Sulicius

Adventurer
It was in 3e, when Int gave you bonus skill points. In 5e, rogues rarely do anything that requires Int (Arcane Tricksters and multiclass rogues notwithstanding). Pretty much just Investigation, which you can compensate for a low Int in with expertise. Personally, I think the most important stat for rogues after Dexterity is actually Wisdom, because that’s useful both for perception and insight, and it’s one of the big three saving throw abilities. Constitution is obviously important for everyone. Charisma is for one or two iconic rogue skills (mainly Deception and maybe Persuasion or Intimidation), so it can be nice to have but isn’t super important to invest heavily in. That leaves Intelligence as the least important stat for rogues other than Strength, which is obviously useless for them, especially with Thieves now getting to jump with Dex.
Yeah that makes sense from an optimization standpoint. I was more thinking about rogues being quick and clever, like their saving throw proficiencies suggest.

Doesn’t matter that much. Cool rogue! Makes me finally want to play one!

Remove ads