• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So how long have YOU been playing D&D?

Odhanan

Adventurer
I've been playing D&D for 18 years. The first RPG games I played were using AD&D first edition with the village of Hommlet heavily modified by the Gloranthan cosmology as setting. It was quite a trip. :)

mcrow

Explorer
I started back in 1990 so I guess about 16 years now.

Com to think of it I have never done anything else in my life for as long as I have been playing D&D. EEK! :eek:

James Heard

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
One must question personal experience as an accurate gauge of any broad-scale question.

Of course scientific studies do show that violent criminal behavior is far less prevelant amongst RPGers than in the general population.

Perhaps you make poor choices of associates...
I'm replying to the anecdotal implications that gaming somehow makes you immune to bad or illegal behaviors, not stating that it somehow supports it. I'm in no way trying to apply my personal experience as a statement of general behavior, but as an indicator that previously stated general behaviors were not in fact inclusive. Besides, I know I make poor choices of associates, I'm on the internet. ;)

gizmo33

First Post
I started with the Holmes blue booklet in 1979 - we had lots of fun using the rules to adjucate battles between our Lego figures and toy dinosaurs. I guess it depends what you mean by DnD. It took me a while to realize why my 3rd level fighter could never beat an ankylosaurus.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
James Heard said:
I'm replying to the anecdotal implications that gaming somehow makes you immune to bad or illegal behaviors, not stating that it somehow supports it. I'm in no way trying to apply my personal experience as a statement of general behavior, but as an indicator that previously stated general behaviors were not in fact inclusive. Besides, I know I make poor choices of associates, I'm on the internet. ;)
Regardless of the anecdotal nature of whatever somments you are referring to, it is a demonstrable fact that RPG enthusiasts have a lower incidence of criminal behavior than the average population.

Association on the internet is impersonal and so does not count as such.

:lol:
Gary

James Heard

Explorer
Regardless of the anecdotal nature of whatever somments you are referring to, it is a demonstrable fact that RPG enthusiasts have a lower incidence of criminal behavior than the average population.
Regardless, that wasn't what I was saying, implying, or even challenging. In fact I was challenging another thing entirely. On the other hand:

Gamers are people, and gaming doesn't somehow indoctrinate you specifically for behaviors beyond gaming. It's unlikely that gaming statistical leaps are caused by anything other than preselection. Just because the majority of gamers are male of a certain age on average, does not mean that roleplaying somehow makes you male or a certain age. Preselection for the quality of "gamer" doesn't establish that gaming itself promotes the qualities that promote gaming's selection. If prostitutes suddenly had some bizarre fad involving D&D it wouldn't be because of D&D that prostitutes play it, and simply because lower incidents of criminal behavior occur in D&D currently doesn't address anything else but preselection for a lack of criminal incidents. Or something like that. Games don't make you do good and games don't make you do wrong. That's stuffing the pastry in the doctor's mouth and saying donuts make you smarter.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
James Heard said:
Regardless, that wasn't what I was saying, implying, or even challenging. In fact I was challenging another thing entirely. On the other hand:

Gamers are people, and gaming doesn't somehow indoctrinate you specifically for behaviors beyond gaming. It's unlikely that gaming statistical leaps are caused by anything other than preselection. Just because the majority of gamers are male of a certain age on average, does not mean that roleplaying somehow makes you male or a certain age. Preselection for the quality of "gamer" doesn't establish that gaming itself promotes the qualities that promote gaming's selection. If prostitutes suddenly had some bizarre fad involving D&D it wouldn't be because of D&D that prostitutes play it, and simply because lower incidents of criminal behavior occur in D&D currently doesn't address anything else but preselection for a lack of criminal incidents. Or something like that. Games don't make you do good and games don't make you do wrong. That's stuffing the pastry in the doctor's mouth and saying donuts make you smarter.

For someone claiming not to be asserting an untenable position, you surely do keep coming back :lol:

You seem to ignore the effect of the RPG on the players. Of course such gamers have a predisposition ot a certain behavior pattern. Playing the games and doing so with others, reinforces that behavior--behavior such as reading, thinking, imagining, seeking innovative solutions to problems, and cooperating with their fellows.

That is a far cry from the odious sort of behavior you asserted was commonly found amongst gamers. In my 40+ years as a game hobbyist I have encountered few, if any, or the sorts you claim fill the ranks of RPGers, while I have received thousands of communications from fellows that extol the beneficial qualities of the game form. Added to the scientific studies that show violent anti-social/criminal behavior rare amongst game hobbyists, and mental health professionals' regard for the role of fantasy in the develpment of children, I suggest that you might wish to revise your thinking. :D

Cheers,
Gary

DJShade

Explorer
First Monster Manual Coloring Book

I've been playing 23 years now. I started playing when I was 7 on Basic DnD. My dad got me the first Monster Manual for AdnD, and being a kid I got my crayolas out and colorized the monsters. I still have that book and laugh when I look at it:)

Remove ads