...so how was Valentines Day?

Holy Bovine

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
Then I watched Collateral Damage, which really didn't do much for me. I think Arnie's days as the king of action movies are long gone. Long live Jet Li!

And Vin Diesel!

My fiancee and I are celebrating V-Day tomorrow since we can get all the chocolate and cards n' stuff 1/2 price! I REFUSE to be told WHEN I can show love for my fiancee.

Dinner and movie tomorrow.

Mr. Draco

First Post
sorry talath, i'd share it except, well, umm, <selfishness> i don't really want to </selfishness>

ok, enough about that, but best of luck to all of you out there with whatever you're doing! :)

Acmite

First Post
My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 4 years, and we've lived together for about half that.....in the whole time we've been together, we've never really done anything particularly special for Valentine's Day. We just both don't see the point.

Hallmark et al shouldn't have to tell us when to show affection.

So, I gamed tonight. We killed a Sea Hag, and only lost the rogue to the "evil eye".

I think Valentine's Day is stupid, and I'm lucky enough to have a girlfriend who genuinely agrees with me.

Of course, we're going to a concert tomorrow. And I get her flowers every so often. So I guess it all balances out.

MythandLore

First Post
St. Val's Day?

Meh...
M. - E. - H.
Meh...

I haven't had a girl friend for a while, but I got my heart stompt on so bad a few years back I couldn't care less about putting in the effort needed to get another one.

Tace

First Post
Every year at this time all I can remember is how everyone in grade school and jr high seemed to get a valentine except me. Except one year I got a bunch "as a joke" :(

Even now... I have been with my wife nearly 18 years, I will be 39 this year, and that "joke" still hurts...

Anyways, I guess today was an either/or kind of day... I've been having some health problems and had to get some blood work done. I won't know the results until Monday or Tuesday.

Wish me luck.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
St Valentines Day is 'new' in this country and really just an escuse for shops to have another 'theme-sale'

Does anyone know what the whole background of the day is - who is St Valentine and why is s/he associated with Love and Candy covered hearts?

as to the q
My day was good, my wife said "Happy Valentines Darling" I said "Whose that?" (um luckily she was in a happy mood:))

MythandLore

First Post
Tonguez said:
St Valentines Day is 'new' in this country and really just an escuse for shops to have another 'theme-sale'

Does anyone know what the whole background of the day is - who is St Valentine and why is s/he associated with Love and Candy covered hearts?

as to the q
My day was good, my wife said "Happy Valentines Darling" I said "Whose that?" (um luckily she was in a happy mood:))
I don't know what country your in, but...
S. V. was a priest who was killed because he would marry people who were in love.
Here we go, found it:

"Named after priest Valentine. Valentine was a priest in Rome at the time Christianity was a new religion. The Emperor at that time, Claudius II, ordered the Roman soldiers NOT to marry or become engaged. Claudius believed that as married men, his soldiers would want to stay home with their families rather than fight his wars. Valentine defied the Emperor's decree and secretly married the young couples. He was eventually arrested, imprisoned, and put to death

Valentine was beheaded on February 14th, the eve of the Roman holiday Lupercalia. After his death, Valentine was named a saint. As Rome became more Christian, the priests moved the spring holiday from the 15th of February to the 14th - Valentine's Day."

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
The idea was quite nice. I was supposed to get the wine and she would get the food. Together we would cook it. This we did of course, but none of us said _anything_. Then she got into the I'm-having-doubts-of-the-relationship-mode. She accused me of cheating on her for example. I was pretty cool about this and acted up my own jealousy a bit in order to pacify the situation. Later on I thought it would be a good idea to watch some Olympics on telly and she went to listen to very loud blues. Whenever I tried to talk to her she ignored me and went out to have a cigarette.

We went to bed and she started whining about how the whole night had been a failure and not at all as she had envisioned it. Sheesh. What is a man supposed to do? However, she called me this morning and apologized. I blame the wine, which by the way was delicious.

Remove ads