D&D 5E So i created a boss for my game...

Soprantho

First Post
aspect20of20mephistopheles.png

Is this a balanced enough for a CR 15 creature? If not what shoul i change

Oofta

Legend
I think pointing out a misconception is useful. However, I am not a DM and not a monster designer, so I can’t help much in that department.
For the most part I ignore that chart and base my monster designs on other monsters as I was showing.

Telling someone they're wrong without being able to explain your reasoning is not useful in any way. Not to me, not to the OP, not to any other DM who might be looking for advice. It's just a random put down "you don't know what you're talking about".

What's the point of posting if you don't know what a better option is or how I'm misusing the chart? Why bother if you have absolutely nothing to add, no insight into how things can be done better?

For the most part I ignore that chart and base my monster designs on other monsters as I was showing.

Telling someone they're wrong without being able to explain your reasoning is not useful in any way. Not to me, not to the OP, not to any other DM who might be looking for advice. It's just a random put down "you don't know what you're talking about".

What's the point of posting if you don't know what a better option is or how I'm misusing the chart? Why bother if you have absolutely nothing to add, no insight into how things can be done better?
It has been discussed on these forums many times and if I wasn’t on my phone I would track down some links for you. But your misunderstanding of the DMG has been covered many times. The best I could do at the time was point it out. I don’t see spreading misinformation as useful, but pointing that out was and is the best I can at this time.

Edit. I could summon my DM, and will do so if you want, but they are recovering from surgery.

Oofta

Legend
It has been discussed on these forums many times and if I wasn’t on my phone I would track down some links for you. But your misunderstanding of the DMG has been covered many times. The best I could do at the time was point it out. I don’t see spreading misinformation as useful, but pointing that out was and is the best I can at this time.

Edit. I could summon my DM, and will do so if you want, but they are recovering from surgery.
Telling someone "you're wrong", especially about something like this that supposedly fairly objective is not helpful to anyone.

I'm not upset, I'm not in angry but I do get frustrated by this kind of behavior. I'm not calling you out personally, it's something I see on a pretty regular basis. This assertion as fact that someone else is wrong without backing up the assertion at all.

I have no problem being mistaken about something. It happens. But tell me how to fix my mistake, tell me what I'm doing wrong. At least attempt to be helpful.

Because if you don't do that it just comes off as antagonistic. You're not adding any value by just tearing down.

@Soprantho

As others have said, there need to be more. As is this guy will get trounced quickly. Something like thunderstep, but with fire instead of sound would be good as a legendary action. That means that surrounding him or pinning him down is dangerous (up the damage of it too.)

Then I suggest finding one thing he's dangerous for, maybe its an ability where he psychically stuns opponents, or if he hits one target with both attacks they are in mortal danger (damage, effect, something).

Then he needs more hit points. Maybe an ability to heal or regen, otherwise he will be dead in 2 rounds if the party can nova him. Figure out how much damage your party can do, then make sure he lasts at least 6-8 rounds.

I can't opine on CR, because I pay very little attention to such things (and frankly, unless this is intended for publication, CR is mostly academic and you should focus more on how the monster you went to all the trouble of designing serves your specific encounter needs). Unlike some people I actually think you're doing alright in terms of the attacks, since, with the Legendary actions (once you get legendary resistance properly away on its own) he's making 5 attacks per round, each of which does an average 17 damage (if he hits, which if he's going reckless he mostly will). So while I think maybe you could up the damage of the hits a little, I'd be careful on that front. If you plan to play into the reckless attacks I might up damage by just expanding his crit range.

The first problem is in range and mobility. This fiend should probably fly, teleport, and/or have a ranged attack option. As is he will get locked down and never meaningfully threaten most of the party. A party member who goes toe-to-toe with him will feel how this is a major fight where this guy can easily do 75+ damage to them a round, but it might not feel impactful for other players, who get to stand back and just chip away at the guy.

The second problem is in vulnerability. In order to make this guy scary you're going to want to attack recklessly, but if all attacks against him are at advantage an AC 17 enemy with 205 hit points is going to be short work for an appropriately leveled party (that doesn't fail the fear effect). You want them to win, of course, but you want this guy to go three rounds with them at least, and as is we're talking three rounds at most, if he's fighting solo. If the party mostly beats him on initiative, passes their Wisdom saves, and just all out attacks, he might be lucky to make it through 2 rounds. I'm not usually an advocate of just throwing more meat on an enemy, but given the reckless attacking he probably needs another hundred hit points to reliably put up a good fight, or else he needs minions or something.

This guy will slice and dice anyone who goes toe to toe with him, but he needs the mobility and staying power to spread that pain around for a few rounds to really be a satisfying foe.

Remove ads