• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, I need a Cat whacked....

Umbran said:
Mr. Lawyer, sir, that cat is owned by the woman, and the aggrieved person knows it. You cannot legally take it into your own custody under these conditions.

Actually, legally, she doesn't own the cat. Where I live, that's why you have to get a registration tag. If the cat isn't registered, it isn't owned (as far as the city is concerened). They actually warn people about it (esp cat owners), that unless you get the cat registered, it's just a stray living near you.

So, legally, the cat is ownerless. While I can't go onto her property to trap it. Or even my next-door neighbor's, if it's on my property, I am allowed to trap it.

Animal Control then shows up, looks to see if its got a registration tag. No tag, they take it away. (If it was tame or neutered, they might ask who owns it, but they catch enough half-wild strays, they don't ask about them).

So, I am making sure of what I'm legally allowed to do. I can't kill the cat, but I can trap it (when it's on my property). Since it isn't registered it's on the same level as vermin such as raccoons, possums, and other small mammels. They come, they take it away.

Dougal DeKree said:
Vraille, your surely are aware that whatever makes the cat disappear, be it the animal service or an accident - the owner will know that you are responsible for it (even if you are not!) because you tried to reason with her. Be prepared for that...if you are the only one who tried to talk to her about her cat, that is.

Well, she lets it run all over and we live right next to a busy road. (And I heard a Great Horned Owl last night). Cats that are allowed to run around vanish. That's the way things are.

I figure I've agood shot she might not even CARE if it disappears. She hasn't really given a darn enough about the cat's health/well-being/socialization up to now.

It's not that she CARES about the cat. It's that someone could ever do anything to inconveince her. It not about the cat, its about power. She doesn't care about how she affects others, yet thinks others should never affect her.

I'm guessing 50/50 she doesn't even look for the cat & just gets another one.

Xath

Moder-gator
I'd bet that it will take her a few days to even notice that it's gone. Just count how long between when the cat is trapped and when she confronts you. Then tell her that if it took her that long to notice, she truely is an irresponsable cat owner.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Just remember that if you're a 1st level Commoner, this cat has a better than average chance of killing you in a fair fight. Make sure you get the Surprise Round.

Xath

Moder-gator
Rel said:
Just remember that if you're a 1st level Commoner, this cat has a better than average chance of killing you in a fair fight. Make sure you get the Surprise Round.

Especially if it has rabies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Dougal DeKree said:
Vraille, your surely are aware that whatever makes the cat disappear, be it the animal service or an accident - the owner will know that you are responsible for it (even if you are not!) because you tried to reason with her. Be prepared for that...if you are the only one who tried to talk to her about her cat, that is.

*nod*. And note that you can be taken into civil court for something that is, technically, legal.

Not to mention - you are about to embark on a course of action that may turn a woman who's behavior is a nuisance into an next-door-enemy. The cat will be gone, but you have to live next to her for years...

Darthjaye

First Post
If the cat isn't wearing tags turn it in as a stray. If the birds are protected turn it in to animal control and let them deal with her. She's most likely ignorant but she will still suspect you no matter what so your gonna have to face this. You complained, so ergo anything that happens to the cat, you will be suspect number one in her beady little white trash eyes. If she retaliates it will be obvious and she more than likely won't be smart enough to cover up her actions. You could find out who her landlord is and just complain to him continously until he/she acts and deals with the lady. Landlords hate having constant complaints about their renters from other people being brought up to them. Work the complaint/ animal control route only if you have to and with the degree warranted is my advice. Kidnapping the cat not so good an idea........

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Darthjaye said:
You complained, so ergo anything that happens to the cat, you will be suspect number one in her beady little white trash eyes.

You know what? This is below us.

She has some opinions that are troublesome. But she's still a person, a human being. And if you were here, you'd get repremanded for that comment. Her not being here doesn't make it okay to be that insulting of a person you've never met.

If we, collectively are gong to treat her like that, then we don't deserve to have the problem solved, because we are small people with fragile egos who have to bring other people down so we can feel big and powerful and proper.

She's a human being, and it is quite possible she loves that cat as much as any of us love our pets. Her ignorance and unwillingness to take personal responsibility doesn't eliminate that.

Think about that for a sec - we're talking about taking away a beloved pet because it is inconvenient, and the owner seems difficult to deal with. I dunno about you, but I've had pets stolen before, and it isnt' fun. Think about that as you consider your course of action. What woudl happen if someone made sure your dog or cat went away and never returned.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I hate birds. They are dirty and carry disease. Feeding them brings the rats, skunks and other vermin too.

Go Kitty!

:)

Seriously though, I hope you find an answer to your problem. I suggest you speak with the local animal shelter or the ASPCA for advice.

Umbran said:
She has some opinions that are troublesome. But she's still a person, a human being. And if you were here, you'd get repremanded for that comment. Her not being here doesn't make it okay to be that insulting of a person you've never met.

If we, collectively are gong to treat her like that, then we don't deserve to have the problem solved, because we are small people with fragile egos who have to bring other people down so we can feel big and powerful and proper.

She's a human being, and it is quite possible she loves that cat as much as any of us love our pets. Her ignorance and unwillingness to take personal responsibility doesn't eliminate that.

Think about that for a sec - we're talking about taking away a beloved pet because it is inconvenient, and the owner seems difficult to deal with. I dunno about you, but I've had pets stolen before, and it isnt' fun. Think about that as you consider your course of action. What woudl happen if someone made sure your dog or cat went away and never returned.

You know what I REALLY want?

I want to go up to another human being. I want to tell them their animal is ruining a insetment I made that I enjoy (birdfeeders), and ruining my flower beds (by using it as a litter box).

I then want that person to go, "Oh, I'm sorry that MY (AS IN I OWN IT) animal is causing such a problem. Let's try to find a way to work this out."

That's what I want. I want to have a reasonable conversation with another human being where we can come to an agreeable comprimise.

That's all I want. That's not going to happen.

Remove ads