D&D 5E So this is how D&D 5e dies, a beautiful start only to die in disgrace because of mismanagement. RIP 5e

I mean, if perpetuating racist tropes that were obviously racist at the time isn't unethical, I dunno what is.
Obviously huh? From this it sounds like the 3E OA was worse than the 1E. I'll have to look it up some time, wow.

I haven't to admit I wasn't aware of much kerfuffle at the time.
I mean, to be fair, if WotC put out something like 4E again they would lose my business.
What does that mean in this context, like the rules or the approach? Presumably the rules?
Same of they drop physical books and go all digital.
That won't happen any time soon but I expect that during 1D&D they'll essentially make the books irrelevant by updating 1D&D's rules often enough that the books get out of date/sync in the way they so extremely carefully avoided in 5E.

On the flipside I expect 1D&D's books to be more expensive-looking (and probably price-wise but I actually agree with your long-ago position that they can excuse increasing the price by $10 or so), and just generally more attractive because their role is as much conversation-starter and lifestyle identifier as usuable game book (nothing entirely wrong with that of course).
There are limits. The OGL just...isn't a limit for me.
I appreciate the straightforward acknowledgement that there are limits, and some of yours sound like they may be closer in than mine in some regards. Massive rules-changes wouldn't have made me drop D&D. Also, I think you started with 3E right? So you haven't had to see how bad it was in the '90s before the OGL (I literally know someone IRL who got a C&D from TSR). Even if no-one signs the OGL 1.1./2.0, legal advice is so much better now I think people will manage to support 1D&D without a licence.

But you pointed out the real solution to all this a while back - just let people sign a licence to get on Beyond! It can be as restrictive as you like! Issue a statement saying "Unless you do this, we disavow you" and give those people who a sign a nice official-looking logo. Take 30% of the sales! Everyone's a winner!

I think this is part of why I'm SO annoyed about this.

It's such an easy problem to solve, and WotC turned into a huge mess, just totally unnecessarily. Like the 25% cut, turns out they didn't even care. So why insist on it?! Why not be reasonable in the first place?

Arrrghghhh

And that's a good thing.
It really, really is.

I re-watched Friends during the pandemic, whilst allegedly working (to be fair I had a ton of low-engagement tasks at one time in the pandemic), and HOLY GOD the sheer amount of "Wow they actually said that?!". Chandler particularly was far worse than I remembered (weirdly Ross was actually less bad), and the sheer homophobia and then transphobia directed at Chandler's mother (ex-father) was absolutely mind-blowing. It especially made me think back to how two of my friends IRL transitioned only a couple of years after Friends was broadcast, and how hostile of an environment they must have been going into.

The nice thing about prognostication is that if you are right, you get to feel proud of yourself, but if you are wrong, nobody will care or remember.
This guy gets it! :)

I've been predicting stuff on the internet for like 30 years. I'm sure I got most of it wrong, but when I didn't...! Yes I am well aware I am an idiot.

I think the biggest one I managed was on a Trek forum/BBS many aeons ago where I predicted Enterprise, right down to the exact period, the sort of crew (in admittedly broad terms), and the aesthetic/look they'd go for (which I totally nailed), about three years before it was even announced. I also predicted it wouldn't be very good unless they changed who was running Trek, but even I did realize how much it would suck (as VOY was starting to improve).

(To be fair you can be so wrong people do remember. I haven't managed that yet, I think but I've seen others achieve truly epic mispredictions.)

The vampires want to know when WotC is going to apologize for the vampires wearing morrion (the helmt used by Spanish conquerors) in Ixalan. The morrion is the symbol of the "Tercios", the troops used by the Spanish empire in the worst anti-vampire genocide in the History ( Wellcome!).

Now seriously, we know the rules about politically corectness have changed, and even the sitcom Friends is not wellcome among some members of the youngest generations.

OK, we don't like any actions by WotC. I don't like to see sourcebooks published by rival companies with the same number of pages were cheaper and with more "crunch" and/or "fluff". Or after awaiting years to can buy the translated version "Volo's Guide of Monsters" I have to await again to buy the update "Moderkainen monsters of the multiverse".

D&D has suffered worse times.

Other thing would be Epic Games creating a new open licence for a computer version of Fortnite: Save the World: CRPG.

The vast majority if young folks eat up Friends leading to a second explosion in popularity, and tons of Friends merch, far more then when it was airing new episodes!

So year a few folks trying to cancel Friends on Twitter isn't reflective of young people as a whole.

I hardly doubt it's going to die, but I am very much hoping this'll piss off enough people and cause enough of a storm to give way for other games and companies to be given more prominence. And for D&D to no longer be see as "the TTRPG", from this point onward.
Unlikely. Pathfinder tries hard, but unless some new player comes into the industry with major money, the market share will fall along resource lines.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't think D&D is dead. I think WOTC will eventually finalize a much less objectionable version of this license and will do OK.

I will miss discussing 5.5e rules with some people here who will be moving on to a different game. I'm sure you guys will find a new community, but this one will likely not be it as you land on something else. And that will be too bad.

Remove ads