D&D 5E So this is how D&D 5e dies, a beautiful start only to die in disgrace because of mismanagement. RIP 5e

Lichbeard

Explorer
I think 5e is far from dying, it's going to keep on going in its updated OneDnD incarnation.
oh for sure, but that doesn't mean it's not dying. It should take a while to die. No game lasts forever and every one that dies is mourned by the people who used to play it. The good thing is it can just be reborn in another form. Even if D&D gets mothballed, you can still play D&D and I bet buy it in stores, it just might have another name.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
With this OGL situation it seems clear 5e is dying and will be dead before the end of the year.

The nice thing about prognostication is that if you are right, you get to feel proud of yourself, but if you are wrong, nobody will care or remember.

People have been crowing the demise of D&D for decades. So far, reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Clint_L

Hero
oh for sure, but that doesn't mean it's not dying. It should take a while to die. No game lasts forever and every one that dies is mourned by the people who used to play it.
You mean like chess? Monopoly? Bridge?

I guess on the macro scale, sure, nothing lives forever. But that's not exactly news, or the point of this thread, is it? As for D&D, it will still be widely played in 50 years.

Lichbeard

Explorer
What does that even mean?

I played it tonight. It's not dead.
I kinda agree with you BUT my friend is playing BX D&D from like 1983 or something, just because someone is playing it doesn't mean it's not commercially dead. However, I think mostly that was mostly hyperbole

Zardnaar

Legend
The nice thing about prognostication is that if you are right, you get to feel proud of yourself, but if you are wrong, nobody will care or remember.

People have been crowing the demise of D&D for decades. So far, reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated.

But but but YouTube lied to me?

5e is 5e because other versions died. There will be a 6e, or some other name. But I think MGibster is correct: we may be seeing the transition to a new commercial form of D&D, whatever the number.

This reminds me of the early 70s, when the oil companies wiped out independant gas stations nationwide in a matter of months. Nobody quit driving cars, but the transition to a new commercial model was irreversible.

They should remember this is not a monopoly, or a cartel with a price agremeent. Here the players need to use the head for the survival of their PCs, and they were aren't so easy to be tricked or manipulated.

D&D is alive when there are players who love it, despites the mistakes by the company.

Other of the reasons the brand is going to survive is because somebody is going to buy other D&D products, for example comics, toys or videogames.

And Hasbro should worry about the day D&D started to lose popularity because fandom are tired with epic fantasy and they are now more interested into other genres, for example urban horror or sci-fi.

And D&D the fresh and new ideas by the 3PPs. Hasbro needs a good vibe with these.

OK, this may be a serious stumbling block, but they can still recover the lost prestige if they fix the mistakes

Remove ads