So, Wandavision?

I don't think anyone has discussed it yet, but with this series, magic is now able to give normal people superpowers, and I mean aside from what the energy of the Hex did to Monica. I am talking about the necklace that Agatha put on Ralph that turned him into Quicksilver. But another question about that is did the necklace just give him the disguise of Pietro and then Wanda's subconscious provided the powers through her magic, or did the powers come from the necklace and Agatha's magic? And of course, Wanda's magic made Vision and the boys superpowered also. It is confusing, but it opens the door to having people with item-granted powers in the MCU. Imagine another powerful, and actually evil, witch or sorcerer with an army of item-empowered troops. Doctor Doom was always tech, but he also learned magic.

Staffan

Legend
I don't think anyone has discussed it yet, but with this series, magic is now able to give normal people superpowers, and I mean aside from what the energy of the Hex did to Monica. I am talking about the necklace that Agatha put on Ralph that turned him into Quicksilver. But another question about that is did the necklace just give him the disguise of Pietro and then Wanda's subconscious provided the powers through her magic, or did the powers come from the necklace and Agatha's magic? And of course, Wanda's magic made Vision and the boys superpowered also. It is confusing, but it opens the door to having people with item-granted powers in the MCU. Imagine another powerful, and actually evil, witch or sorcerer with an army of item-empowered troops. Doctor Doom was always tech, but he also learned magic.
I'm very much not certain at all that Monica got powers from the Hex. I think she had powers before. Note that when she's examined after her first trip into the Hex, they have concerns about her bloodwork, and her X-Ray is mostly all white, as if it was over-exposed... and Monica just shrugs and says "Whatever." She also doesn't seem particularly surprised when the bullets meant for the twins hit her and get disintegrated.

The theory here would be that Monica got powered up by something related to Carol Danvers, and this lead to her "leaking" radiation at first. This would be what gives Maria cancer, which would then explain why Monica has a hostile reaction to the mention of Carol's name — she blames her for her mother's death.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
She corrects people and events within to match her liking. She knows she's got a whole town under control when she confronts Hayward about the drone. A responsible person checks to see what exactly her fantasy is doing to the people involved.

If they care to do so.
🙄

You are assuming a level of rationality that is not only not in evidence, but is not reasonable to expect from a human. We are not especially rational animals.

She doesn’t know anything beyond the fact that she has some control over the hex. She specifically doesn’t believe she made it or is making all this happen.

MarkB

Legend
We've already seen such items in the Doctor Strange movie. Cloak of levitation, air-walking boots, various magically empowered weapons. Maybe you need to be magical yourself in order to wield them, but that's not certain.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yeah, okay.

I am actually not saying she needs to be found guilty in a court of law. I am saying she needs to be held accountable, and take responsibility. Those people who get off with the poorly-named insanity defense? They rarely get to just go back to whatever crazy sh!t they were doing before; they just don't go to jail. There are still stipulations of therapy, etc.

I mean, really: the episode ended and we're like "Hey, she had unprocessed grief so it's not her fault. Now let her fly off to continue to not address her grief and let's all just hope she doesn't enslave a town again."

My criticism is of the writing of the show that they are making this seem reasonable. Someone with that much power, who is that unstable has a responsibility to curtail it and her grief that causes it to go ker-plooey. You know how we know that? The Incredible Hulk. Huge power capable of disaster based on his emotions. Years of comics of Banner trying to get rid of it and trying to have as much emotional control as possible (a great little scene in the Norton movie). But no, they write Wanda as not accountable, and I think that writing is childish.
No, that's not it. She's not unaccountable any more than Banner is as the Hulk. In both cases, they generally hold themselves accountable, as it usually is in the superhero genre (minus any big blockbuster crossover story event like the Civil War shenanigans that include an extradimensional concentration camp). What did Banner do? He went into relative seclusion. What has Wanda done, the same. As we see at the end of WandaVision, she's taken herself out of society to figure things out. And I'm sure we'll see how that goes in the next Dr. Strange movie.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
You are assuming a level of rationality that is not only not in evidence, but is not reasonable to expect from a human. We are not especially rational animals.

She doesn’t know anything beyond the fact that she has some control over the hex. She specifically doesn’t believe she made it or is making all this happen.
She knows something more than that, but as the show makes clear, there are plenty of things she doesn't consciously know. She knows, ultimately, that she created this idyllic bubble based on her knowledge and experience with American sitcoms - places she could experience and enjoy while the world was falling apart outside her parents' family flat. She doesn't know that the experience is actually painful for the residents. She gave them better jobs, better homes and lives... as far as her grieving mind's ability to adapt the sitcoms into reality via magic she doesn't know she has. She doesn't know the residents are experiencing her nightmares. She doesn't know the kids are all sequestered away too or that she's actually controlling people in general and that they get trapped in a robotic existence the farther they are from her.
As far as she knows, she's created a fantasy world that's better for everyone involved. Hell, even the city public pools has gone from being brackish and unmaintained to clean and tidy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
She knows something more than that, but as the show makes clear, there are plenty of things she doesn't consciously know. She knows, ultimately, that she created this idyllic bubble based on her knowledge and experience with American sitcoms

She doesn't appear to start with this as conscious knowledge. Her original claim that she didn't do it does not seem to be a knowing, canny lie, but an honest belief that she didn't create it. She does seem to come around to this as time goes on, until Agatha frees up the minds of some of the townsfolk to confront her with the full reality.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The scene with Hayward doesn't support this.
Yes, it does. She gains more understanding over the course of the show, but episode 1 she is pretty clueless, and has little reason to question it.

By that scene she knows she is happy in the bubble, and that she can control it. She certainly doesn’t know she is controlling people, that people are in any distress, or any of that, until Agnes makes her see it in the last episode.

Eric V

Hero
Yes, it does. She gains more understanding over the course of the show, but episode 1 she is pretty clueless, and has little reason to question it.

By that scene she knows she is happy in the bubble, and that she can control it. She certainly doesn’t know she is controlling people, that people are in any distress, or any of that, until Agnes makes her see it in the last episode.
She doesn't know she's controlling people...

...so, what? She thinks the' citizens are naturally stuck in a 50s type world? And then quickly and of their own will a 60s world?

When you say "she is happy in the bubble, and that she can control it" what is the "it" that does not involve the people?

Remove ads