So, Wandavision?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
A bit behind in my watching (just got Disney+ last week). Liked everything but the first 10 minutes of episode 1 and the reveal of the name Scarlet Witch.

One of my favorite parts was the Walnut episode of the Dick Van Dyke show being spotlighted. I first saw the episode around 1980 on my hometown's first re-run station, and picked up a DVD copy years later. Definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it :)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Wanda wasn't the villain of this series. If you watched it and came to that conclusion, you watched it incorrectly. Hayward was a villain. He wanted to kill a grieving woman who was unconsciously acting out in her highly traumatic past, and her innocent family, because he wanted a super-bot that could give him whatever he wanted. Agatha Harkness was a villain. She was exploiting and gaslighting a grieving woman for her own selfish desire to have Wanda's power, and was willing to kill Wanda and her family in order to get what she wanted.

In this show, the real villains are the ones that want to harm/exploit Wanda. Wanda did mess up and caused a lot of trauma in her own grief, however, she did not try to or mean to do what she did. She doesn't need anyone else to try and force more punishments onto her for her actions, she has already received them. She lost her family. She gave up everything she ever wanted in exchange for the wellbeing of everyone she was imprisoning in the Hex. It doesn't matter that her family was created by her, they were real. They were conscious, independent entities that could feel all the emotions that any normal person could. They were real, and chose to give up their lives in exchange for the freedom of the people of Westview. That was heroic. What Wanda chose to do was heroic.

Furthermore, there really isn't anyone with the power to punish her, and trying to punish her for her actions would likely result in dire consequences for the rest of the world. That is not to say what she did was okay. It wasn't. She knows that, and doesn't need to have a "lesson" forced upon her. She knows what she did was wrong, forced herself into isolation in order to discover herself (in a way) and protect others from her powers, and based on what we saw in the show, she is not going to repeat the same mistake again.

As @Umbran said upthread, the justice system is intended to stop bad behavior from being repeated. Wanda won't repeat her bad behavior. She stopped the person that was trying to take control of her power and intentionally use it to do even more harm than Wanda did. As far as we know, no one else in the current MCU has the power to do what she did, so trying to "set an example" by punishing her would do no good (and as I mentioned above, it would likely do much more harm).

I'm certain some other superheroes are going to try and seek out Wanda. The most likely one (and probably the most qualified one) seems to be Doctor Strange, as we know that Wanda will appear in some capacity in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. He could become a sort of mentor to her, helping her control her powers and make sure she doesn't do something drastic with her powers, like, you know, destroy the world.
Wow. I normally don't quote myself, but this post really did not age well. I stand by my statement that Wanda wasn't a villain in WandaVision . . . but practically everything else about this post is wrong in hindsight.

Arilyn

Hero
Wow. I normally don't quote myself, but this post really did not age well. I stand by my statement that Wanda wasn't a villain in WandaVision . . . but practically everything else about this post is wrong in hindsight.
Yes, but I like your ideas better!
I mostly enjoyed the new Dr. Strange movie but Wanda has never had a chance to stand on her own two feet. She has been manipulated, used and undergone serious loss. They could have done more with the character. And after seeing her mini series, I'm not fond of her ultimate fate.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yes, but I like your ideas better!
I mostly enjoyed the new Dr. Strange movie but Wanda has never had a chance to stand on her own two feet. She has been manipulated, used and undergone serious loss. They could have done more with the character. And after seeing her mini series, I'm not fond of her ultimate fate.
I kind of like that the MCU was willing to take a character with a traumatic past, show how it affected her mental health, show how she was not coping and then give her a tragic/traumatic fate. Sometimes bad things happen to good people and even superheroes might not be able to fix it

Arilyn

Hero
I kind of like that the MCU was willing to take a character with a traumatic past, show how it affected her mental health, show how she was not coping and then give her a tragic/traumatic fate. Sometimes bad things happen to good people and even superheroes might not be able to fix it
Yes, this can be done to good effect. I just feel that in the movie she was conveniently cast into "evil witch" role, almost like the MCU wanted to get her out of the way? I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well. I just feel the Scarlet Witch was cheated a bit.

Dire Bare

Legend
Within the context of WandaVision, your post was spot on. Unfortunately, while the writers had Wanda overcome her grief enough to do the right thing in Westview, they then have her almost immediately turn to the Darkhold and go even darker in Multiverse of Madness, only to repeat her "coming to her senses" and ending her abuse of power and of others.

I loved Multiverse of Madness on its own, but did not like how Wanda was characterized after the finale of WandaVision.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Within the context of WandaVision, your post was spot on. Unfortunately, while the writers had Wanda overcome her grief enough to do the right thing in Westview, they then have her almost immediately turn to the Darkhold and go even darker in Multiverse of Madness, only to repeat her "coming to her senses" and ending her abuse of power and of others.

I loved Multiverse of Madness on its own, but did not like how Wanda was characterized after the finale of WandaVision.
Fully agreed. I was just remarking on how different my interpretation of the events in WandaVision was from the writers (and maybe directors) of Multiverse of Madness.

pukunui

Legend
Fully agreed. I was just remarking on how different my interpretation of the events in WandaVision was from the writers (and maybe directors) of Multiverse of Madness.
Well, Sam Raimi has admitted to not having watched all of WandaVision, so it's not surprising really.

I would love to know what Elizabeth Olsen thinks about her character's development between the show and the movie (like what she actually thinks, not just what she's allowed to say).

Remove ads