So what are you going to play with 4e?

Serensius

Explorer
mjukglass said:
1. A low key and mellow Scandinavian fairytale with deep pine forests, mystical lakes, prophecy's and true heroics. All narrated in the classical dark and melancholic Scandinavian mythology and fairytale tradition. Visually much inspired by Paul Bonners work for Riotminds as seen in his awesome art book 'Out of the Forests'.

2. All out fantasy metal/pulp/noir. I envision a mix of Pratchets Diskworld without the hilarity blended with Shadowruns premise; group, mission and screw over and Millers Sin City. Visual inspiration coming from the great Simon Bisley and his work on Lobo/Slain.

3. A back to basic old school campaign in the PoL genre. Played and framed as a episodic TV-series with; theme song, one adventure per session (or maximum 2), 'whats on next week'. Pretty much Old school dnd produced and framed with PTA.

Going to play, like, a mix of these three, in a homebrewed world we've played in for years but only recently canonized. I'm going with a heavy 'magic is mysterious'-vibe, involving strange fey spirits, trolls and creatures from Norwegian fairy-tales (go tusser og vetter!), while at the same having human(oid)s and their ambitions/goals playing a big role. Hoping to inject an atmosphere of the strange and wonderful but avoiding DM arbitration and having a game where PCs set a goal and accomplish it through struggle and guile. Places will be far between, so travel and discovery will play a big part. Also, setting the stage for inter-party interaction (possibly conflict, I have to trust my players here) by giving some of the PCs individual goals.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
The game my group kick started last night with me at the DM features a world where the further away from the crazed evil sun god's capital city the shorter the days are. Combine this with the fact that something is causing the god's earthly empire to fall into chaos give the heroes, who live out around the more night than day rim of the empire, a chance to try and bring their corner of the world some stability, and maybe eventually a new sun god if it lasts through 30

If I ever get to play I am intending to make a heavy blade fighter who uses a Scythe =)

Tigerbunny

First Post
I'm a bit too burned-out on DM-ing to run anything for a while yet, but I'm hoping to scare up a DM willing to do something with a neat idea I have been seized by. I whacked the whole "points of light" thing up against my love for urban adventures and came up with the idea of something along the lines of New Crobuzon meets Gotham City - a half-ruined fantasy megacity from the last age, overrun by crime, villainy and corruption and full of lost vaults and ruined chapels. I think it'd be neat to play some would-be heroes who want to clean up their neighborhood and maybe eventually restore some of the city's faded glories. Lots of neat tactical environments, scope for a nice mix of skill/rp challenges and straightforward fighty stuff.

Think I'm likely to play a tiefling warlock with a hell-fueled vendetta against a corrupt official.

Henry said:
"Wristbands of Dragon Power" or some such?
Or Headband of Ki? Kimono of Martial Arts? Sandals of Tiger Leap? My primary concern at the moment is the item slot. Just because you're a Kung Fu master shouldn't mean you can't wear regular arm- or headgear. I suppose the only solution is to consider "unarmed" weapon as requiring no slot.

DonAdam

Explorer
If I get to play over the next year, it'll either be as a player or running the basic modules.

Next year, though, when I'm done with my dissertation and the setting is out, I really want to start an Eberron game. I'll insist that most of the party be Lawful Good, so that I can try the following experiment:

Heroic Tier: The party is a private detective/troubleshooting service in Sharn. The major arc would involve a terrorist cell connected to another nation (what nation? I have no idea, I stopped playing right after Eberron came out and haven't looked at the campaign setting since then). This will make the party into heroes and lead to...

Paragon Tier: An arc stopping some major threat from another nation. Basically, the PC's would be running a guerilla operation/strike team type thing. Maybe against the Lord of Blades? In the end, they don't just triumph, they seize power. Leading to...

Epic Tier: The PC's now wield massive influence both where they got it and in [whatever country Sharn is in... why can't I remember these things?]. The whole point of this tier is to see if I can trick the players into building a lawful good empire. Rather than "save the world from getting blowed up" it will be a cycle of action-reaction, where every major social ill they solve leads to another and thus more tightening of their grip.
They could go on solo mission to take care of particular problems ("you go straighten out the Silver Flame, I'm going to get the backing of this Dragonmarked house"). They'll be constantly nipping at the tail of that most impossible political task: making everyone happy and peaceful. I'll see if I can trick them into taking "necessary" steps, and hopefully there will be some dissent and bickering among the PC's.

Then I run a second campaign, set a hundred or so years later in a dystopic Eberron, and a new group of heroes tries to overturn the stifling state set up in the last game. Dystopia seems like a good outgrowth for Eberron, since it's basically interwar earth. Government wizards asking to see your (magical) identification before you get on the (magical) train and all that.

At least, that's how I see it all in my head. Can I turn an unsuspecting group of PC's into "benevolent" dictators?

Festivus

First Post
For my online game, I am using the setting of Ptolus and writing my own stories.

My Age of Worms campaign will continue for a while yet in 3.5

I am starting a new 4E game on opposing weekends from the Age of Worms campaign. I'll likely run Keep on the Shadowfell, followed by exclusively Living Forgotten Realms home games.

Some variation of the PoL setting, but with avian storytelling influences. The wife is GMing and she is tired of all the classic tropes in Euro fantasy (reading fantasy for 40 years, and a degree in English lit can do that do you.) She enjoys Manga and some Anime, and is likely to work in some of that flavor (Futa for Ritual Scrolls, Shinigami for planar death beings that sort of thing), plus different approaches to storytelling from general Asian stuff- She's tried to explain the differences but I'm just "Whatever you want to GM dear, I'll enjoy it). I'm sure I will. :)

Some of the view on the afterlife should work pretty well with the set up WotC has.

Remove ads