• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what do/did you study in college? Did you bother with college?

DaveStebbins

First Post
Mr. Kaze said:
...decided that PR didn't pay enough to deal with people all the time...
My favorite moment in college was a spring senior year (cruising time) course where the professor, a retired industry vice president, told the class, a bunch of Engineering students, that "all these things you're studying are fine, but for God's sake learn to deal with people because almost any job you get will only be about 15% what you know and have learned and the other 85% will be dealing with people." I never heard a classroom get so quiet so quickly. :D

-Dave

pogre

Legend
BA Political Philosophy
JD - law degree
practiced law a few years
BA Secondary History Ed.
teaching and coaching and loving it!
Slowly accumulating credits for a phd in ed.

My folks paid for nearly all of it. The last of my school loans were paid off when I was practicing law.

It's a long tradition in my family for parents to pay for university as long as the student does well. My wife and I set aside an inheritance with the help of my parents so that my kids will have the same luxury of getting their education wherever they choose.

Wayside

Explorer
Farganger said:
AB, Anthropology (UC Berkeley)
MPhil, Cuneiform Studies (Oxford)
JD at Yale
Cool. I did my BA at Cal as well, English with a minor in Latin and one class short of a minor in Philosophy (sleeping through midterms for the win, bad undergraduate). Doing my M.A. now and hope to head back there for the Ph.D. I actually say cool, though, for the cuneiform, which I'm beginning in the fall and am rather excited about.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I got a B.A. in English (with a concentration in Imaginative Writing) in '96, and my J.D. and California bar license in '99. I worked full time while pursuing both degrees (and for several years before, and of course since).

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I double majored in History and English then went on to get a Master's in History. Once I realized that all of that would make for a pretty low income, I went to law school.

Since you asked ... I am a rocket scientist (BS in Aerospace Engineering). Got my MS in Industrial & Systems Engineering, though.

On to the PhD (someday).

All free. Uncle Sam paid for both ... and even paid my full salary while I went to grad school full time. My many thanks to those who pay their taxes and made my education possible. :)

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Wayside said:
Hm, and I thought it didn't take a rocket scientist to play D&D. Maybe it was neurosurgeon?

It takes at least two rocket scientists to play D&D. Or two of anything else. ;)

Boojum

First Post
Barring any random catastrophe, I'll be graduating in just under a month with a BA in English and a minor in philosophy. Currently teaching an SAT prep class, but hoping to find something full-time for a year or two, maybe go teach English abroad or something, and then come back and either go for a PhD. or a JD. I was lucky in that my parents paid for my education, although anything from here on out is my own responsibility.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I am a high school instrumental music teacher (also Music Theory and History). In college, I double-majored in Music Education and Music Theory and minored in English. Took me nine-semesters, but I knew people who were there far longer for just the Music Ed.

DM

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads