D&D 5E (+) So, what have you done to make martials feel better?

Stormonu

Legend
I’d also like to see some more expansions on Fighting Styles and ways to improve them (say at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th - not just choosing new styles). Along with possibly two additional paths - Fearsome Striker (improves weapon attacks in a way similar to the monk’s ability to improve unarmed attacks) and Horde Breaker (allows the fighter to use a single attack to make area effect attacks, similar to whirlwind attacks). The latter might need some sort of limitation - requires a special action that replaces multiple attacks?

Vaalingrade

Legend
I’d also like to see some more expansions on Fighting Styles and ways to improve them (say at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th - not just choosing new styles). Along with possibly two additional paths - Fearsome Striker (improves weapon attacks in a way similar to the monk’s ability to improve unarmed attacks) and Horde Breaker (allows the fighter to use a single attack to make area effect attacks, similar to whirlwind attacks). The latter might need some sort of limitation - requires a special action that replaces multiple attacks?
When I first heard talk of subclasses, this is what I thought they were going to be, TBH.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Most folks will talk about combat stuff, but I want more in the other pillars. I know they are beefing backgrounds and that will help, but still the fighter could use some out of combat utility and social buffs.
Yeah I’m considering giving them an ability starting at level 3, to turn one ability check or saving throw failure into a success, PB/LR.

At level 9, instead of indomitable, they can spend a use of the ability to allow all allies making the same check (so group checks and multi target saves) to gain advantage on the check.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The good warlocks are good above average classes, the poor ones are below average. As a multiclass option though Undead and Genie are top flight on a 1 or 2 level dip. I would add hexblade to that list as well on a Paladin multiclass.

I don't know if it is really because they are warlocks or because they are whiners. I have played Warlocks, including weak Warlocks. and have had fun.

One hypothesis is that new players do not fully consider the limited spell slots or the mechanic of only having higher level spell slots. When playing a Warlock you need something other than your spells, it does not work well as a pseudo wizard or sorcerer. Having 2 high level spells per short rest means they have more "crowd pleasers" than any class assuming multiple short rests, however if they throw a leveled spell they either have to go nova or they are wasting power. While a 10th level wizard might throw a 1st level burning hands to finish off a Troll near the end of a fight, the Warlock does not have that option, he has to go with a 5th level spell or downselect to a cantrip or weapon attack. This also means low level out of combat spells like comprehend languages have a very high cost to cast.

That is just a hypothesis, I can't say that is the reason why and if you understand the mechanics going in you can work around them.
I really think the warlock needs more invocations and the ability to regain 1 spell slot as an action PB/LR.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I said it before.

Analyse the various high power archetypes of martials.
Make them subclasses in full power.
Let DMs ban the ones that don't match the setting.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
in theory how hard would it be for paliden and ranger to fold into fighter?
If the Eldritch Knight is acceptable model it would be easy but I get the impression the Paladin is a better designed class. Lower amounts of magic is how they started out (you didnt get any till higher els) has been done before but I think the perception of paladins has changed over time and rangers have waffled around and in original form you didnt get spells right away just a few other abilities but you were also fighter plus plus and class balance was a nyeh. The current fighter does not allow a ton of subclass power in my opinion. I think it would depend on how much the subclass is allowed to do? The Paladin is sort of a half caster now the eldritch knight is a 1/3... hmmmm. It might be worth considering.

In 4e I built a Paladin that was a fighter with the Boon 'Pelor's Sun Blessing' and it fits my concept of Paladin. Though I think there are a few Paladin powers in 4e that I would have liked on a fighter.

Last edited:

Remove ads