• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC So, when do the announce the July book? Guesses on what it'll be? 🤔

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They released a setting book for that movie. It was a 2e book.
They released a making of the movie book, they put a bunch of gaming material on their website and there was an introductory adventure included with the DVD of the movie, but the actual planned game book was pulled from the schedule.

teitan

Legend
The panel at Gen Con Online about racism and diversity pretty much stated outright that slavery tourism - where people pretend to be freed slaves for a weekend is a no go. I just can’t see Athas type slavery and therefore the sorcerer-king-city-state-built-on-the-back-of-slaves passing muster for d&d. The attention would be too great.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m gutted that race relations, and system racism today means that these things can’t be condemned to history and therefore mined for ideas. But the reality is, it’s too raw and too real for far too many people and reminds them of racism they experience today.

I just can’t see WOC trying to sell that. That makes me sad, but I think it’s a fact of life.
And that’s the first time I’ve seen someone address “why” without it being pre-active as opposed to proactive. Thank you.

teitan

Legend
They released a making of the movie book, they put a bunch of gaming material on their website and there was an introductory adventure included with the DVD of the movie, but the actual planned game book was pulled from the schedule.
Ah thank you. I could swear I saw it on a shelf with Sinbad’s Shazam movie 😉

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The DM materials make up 109 out of 192 pages (guess that depends on how you view Group Patrons and Spells, but I consider thosr DM options & tools).
1619119674846.png

Group patrons were great when they were published in Rising, & even before when eberron GMs were doing similar with the various eberron powers that be but in a book of new options & rules providing me a version with the serial numbers filed off was less than useful. With the rest of the book being too unwilling to actually change anything mechanically or add crunch that I as a GM can use it's hard to call too much of what was left over a big thing. The supernatural regions were interesting but again it was largely serial numbers filed off manifest zones from eberron stuff. That doesn't really make a memorable impression that hangs around months later

Parmandur

Book-Friend
View attachment 135924
Group patrons were great when they were published in Rising, & even before when eberron GMs were doing similar with the various eberron powers that be but in a book of new options & rules providing me a version with the serial numbers filed off was less than useful. With the rest of the book being too unwilling to actually change anything mechanically or add crunch that I as a GM can use it's hard to call too much of what was left over a big thing. The supernatural regions were interesting but again it was largely serial numbers filed off manifest zones from eberron stuff. That doesn't really make a memorable impression that hangs around months later
Might not be the most useful at any given table, but for folks who didn't buy Eberron, because they want something more generic, that's helpful. And it is what would have gone in a DMG 2 properly speaking.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Might not be the most useful at any given table, but for folks who didn't buy Eberron, because they want something more generic, that's helpful. And it is what would have gone in a DMG 2 properly speaking.
It's useful for those folks sure, but it shows how far from the mark itcoe fell when it came to providing 5e GMs new mechanics they didn't pretty much already have even if a given gm did not personally have them.

teitan

Legend
It's useful for those folks sure, but it shows how far from the mark itcoe fell when it came to providing 5e GMs new mechanics they didn't pretty much already have even if a given gm did not personally have them.
See I love Tasha’s stuff because I don’t really buy settings and I get annoyed that useful rules are going to adventures and setting books. The only reason I have vehicle rules is I bought Avernus, not because it was published in a rules supplement. So my disappointment with Tasha’s was it was an opportunity to represent those vehicle rules without the Avernus fluff attached to them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not every DM bought Eberron or should be expected to.

hopeless

Adventurer
Depends if all they want is the Patrons bit doesn't it?
Do they need to buy the whole book when its only a small portion they want to read?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads