WotC So, when do the announce the July book? Guesses on what it'll be? 🤔

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The wanton slaughter of sentient creatures... in what is usually a fair fight, often after finding out those sentient creatures are engaged in evil.
More often than not it's no more deep than "oh, they're [evil race], cool, let's slaughter them all and loot their bodies."
Can't say the same about sex slavery.
So sentient creatures engaged in evil. Who you'd want to engage in a completely unfair fight (lopsided to your advantage, of course) because of just how obviously evil they are.

Faolyn

(she/her)
More often than not it's no more deep than "oh, they're [evil race], cool, let's slaughter them all and loot their bodies."
Which is one reason to move away from alignments. Strangely, some people prefer having Always Evil races. I wonder how the Venn diagram of "Wants Always Evil Races" and "Is OK With Including Sex Slavery" would look.

So sentient creatures engaged in evil. Who you'd want to engage in a completely unfair fight (lopsided to your advantage, of course) because of just how obviously evil they are.
Only if you have a DM who prefers throwing easy encounters at the players, or you have DMs and players who prefer violence over diplomacy.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Which is one reason to move away from alignments. Strangely, some people prefer having Always Evil races. I wonder how the Venn diagram of "Wants Always Evil Races" and "Is OK With Including Sex Slavery" would look.
I do not want evil races but I'm okay with slavery as a thing that exists in a setting. I'm not okay with sex slavery as a thing that exists in a setting.
Only if you have a DM who prefers throwing easy encounters at the players, or you have DMs and players who prefer violence over diplomacy.
Or you play combat as war. And who wants to negotiate with slavers? We can all basically agree they're the absolute worst. If ever there was a villain to just take out with extreme prejudice its slavers.

Based on my experience I think there will be some but limited crossover. I've certainly met players who liked both things a great deal and clearly correlated them to some extent in their minds (there's also some "SO EDGY" gaming material that correlates the two), but equally I've met players who wanted always-evil races to sort of simply represent devilish opponents (in a more fightable form) and would have grimaced at any hint of that kind of sexualized grimness in the game.
Or you play combat as war. And who wants to negotiate with slavers? We can all basically agree they're the absolute worst. If ever there was a villain to just take out with extreme prejudice its slavers.
That doesn't work in any setting where slavery is overwhelmingly legal and state-backed, that's the problem.

Because if you go to any of the states, you're going to be interacting with slaver and slave-owners, and you can't just fight them, because you'll die.

Hence my suggestion that slavery needs to be seriously toned-down to make Dark Sun playable/acceptable for the modern era where virtually everyone wants to kill slavers on sight.

Remove ads