D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Take a level 5 new cleric, and face him off against a level 5 old cleric.

See if that extra feat makes up for spiritual weapon being a concentration spell.

See if a ranger with the new sharpshooter can beat the old one with the old sharpshooter.
That's yet more work. I can't have two feats of the same name with different abilities. I'd have to reconcile the feats one way or the other. If I'm playing two different games, they aren't compatible.

Realize that X+1 is greater than X+0. The power levels are irrelevant. The 2024 backgrounds are objectively superior.
Compatible does not mean balanced.

Also you can just let the 2014 players pick a feat.

If a player is using a 2014 Wizard just let him have a 1st level feat from the new book it’s that simple.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Compatible does not mean balanced.
Sure it does. If they aren't balanced, then I'm gimping players who use the weaker stuff. The PCs from both editions have to be roughly equivalent.
Also you can just let the 2014 players pick a feat.
Blanket picking a feat is then superior. 2024 people have a very small selection to pick from, so I have to create the selection for the old characters.
If a player is using a 2014 Wizard just let him have a 1st level feat from the new book it’s that simple.
I didn't say it was hard work. I said it was work, and if I have to work to make their editions compatible, then they aren't compatible to begin with.

Hussar

Legend
I think part of the problem is that there's no actual definition of "backwards compatible". 1e and 2e are very much not backwards compatible in the sense that you could mix 2e characters with 1e characters. The 2e characters are far more powerful than their 1e counterparts. The game is balanced significantly differently. Now, if you said, 1e+Unearthed Arcana and 2e, then, well, that's far closer. Although, again, that group is far more powerful than a vanilla 1e group, meaning that the 1e modules are going to be less challenging. At least, that was my experience. 1e modules were cakewalks if you played them with 2e characters at the suggested level.

Or, take Level Up and 5e. Are they compatible? Can I play a 5e Barbarian in a Level Up game? Would it be a large power disparity? I don't think so, but, I'm not all that familiar with Level Up. Those that are more familiar are better equipped to answer that question.

So, in the end, you need to define what you mean by backward compatible before any real conversation can be had.

Sure it does. If they aren't balanced, then I'm gimping players who use the weaker stuff. The PCs from both editions have to be roughly equivalent.

Blanket picking a feat is then superior. 2024 people have a very small selection to pick from, so I have to create the selection for the old characters.

I didn't say it was hard work. I said it was work, and if I have to work to make their editions compatible, then they aren't compatible to begin with.
Basically we completely disagree on what compatibility means. From your definition the game has to be exactly the same. So I guess there is no more point in debating it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Basically we completely disagree on what compatibility means. From your definition the game has to be exactly the same. So I guess there is no more point in debating it.
Not exactly the same. Just compatible. I need to be able to use it without it being unbalanced and without having to put in effort to make it work. If I have to put in effort to make it work, I'M making it compatible, not them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I could fuse two games (or two editions), sure. But I think what would make 1D&D "backwards compatible" TO ME, would be if I can trust that my players can do it, too. I have some pretty casual IRL players. If I have to step in and "fix" their characters for them so that we can play, then no, it's not properly backwards compatible. But if they can do it themselves, then it is.

It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that they'll be able to handle it. Time will tell.
Based on what we have so far, all existing Bard Subclases can be used by adjusting the Subclass drop Levels and giving a free Feat 9th. I think a PHB sidebar can make that clear.

Remove ads