• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Software for maps

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, posted on this thread last night, but the post seems to have disappeared, odd.

Dungeon Crafter( www.Dungeoncrafter.com )is very easy to use for interior maps, and has a village set included. It also has a very large number of user submitted tiles to add to the pleasure of using it. Dungeon Crafter 2 is also available as an alpha test version, I have used DC2 and found it very handy even in its unfinished state. These are probably the mappers that I use most. There is a how to manual at http://www.geocities.com/blood_tyger/guide/guide.html
Both versions are free.

Fractal Mapper has a fairly handy tutorial included, this can get you started very quickly, but it is neither the fastest nor easiest program to use. (Mind you I like it very much, just not as easy to use as DC.)

A final program worth mentioning is Izandwo,( http://www.realmcreator.com/ ) which I use for mapping cities and towns. Available for free.

The Auld Grump

Flynn

First Post
I prefer Fractal Mapper 6.0

I personally prefer Fractal Mapper 6.0. All the maps I use for my game I easily created in it, and one of my players designed his character's stronghold map using the software as well. I'm not big on mapmaking, so it really saves me a lot of effort that other apps tend to take.

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Chaz

First Post
Mark said:
The Fractal Mapper 6.0 is currenty on sale and perhaps the most powerful mapping software for its price anywhere. CADD-like results with a very simple-to-use windows-type interface. best.mapper.evar :)

You can try their demo for free but be warned, once you see what it can do you will not be satisfied with other mappers. ;)

I agree 100% with Mark & Flynn... Fractal Mapper is by far and away the easiest/best map maker for the $$. It has so many features built in for campaign map making that its almost frightning. Add to that the scripting capabilitys it has and you have one powerfull package. But try it for your self and see. try the tutorials and you will be amazed at how simple it is to do caverns / overland / buildings / citys / whole continents.

Good luck.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
wighair said:

Arrgh! they seem to have been usurped by a web-hosting site. Anyone know whats going on?

The good folks at Dungeon Crafter have just switched web hosts. I don't know if the site you saw was their new host or the tag end of the old one, but they are busily getting things running over there. The forums have also been returned at their new digs.

The Auld Grump, who has some fairly mediocre tiles over on their site....

Last edited:

Remove ads