D&D 5E Some recent tweets.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Nope. The storm sorcerer is the one in the SCAG. Favored Soul is still just a playtest idea. Personally, I don't like the "divine concept on an arcane chassis" and hope they rethink their approach to the favored soul.

I don't either. I hope they make it a separate class, especially now that they've taken the bonus spells away.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't either. I hope they make it a separate class, especially now that they've taken the bonus spells away.

They have committed to not doing new classes all that often: so far, we have the Mystic, the alter-Ranger and the Artificer even in the pipeline per Mearls. Subclasses are meant to bear the brunt, and the recent prestige class experiment is pretty clearly a subclass taken out and made a multiclass option.

Doubt we will see much in the way of new classes at all.

the Jester

Legend

I hope you're right. The favored soul is perfect as a sorcerer type, especially since it was originally basically a "clerical sorcerer".

That said, I am SO GLAD they removed the bonus spells from the storm sorcerer and really, really hope that they do the same for the FS when/if it ever releases as a full option.

They have committed to not doing new classes all that often: so far, we have the Mystic, the alter-Ranger and the Artificer even in the pipeline per Mearls. Subclasses are meant to bear the brunt, and the recent prestige class experiment is pretty clearly a subclass taken out and made a multiclass option.

Favored Soul makes more sense as being its own class, based on its history as being either melee, blaster, or support. Build a subclass geared towards each role, instead of trying to Frankenstein a spontaneous divine caster on an arcane chassis. Or at the very least, change the spell list to Cleric.

But I digress...

Any chance we could get confirmation of GFB/BB working with Battlemaster maneuvers? Essentially, do those cantrips count as melee weapon attacks?

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Any chance we could get confirmation of GFB/BB working with Battlemaster maneuvers? Essentially, do those cantrips count as melee weapon attacks?

Most of the battlemaster maneuvers reference "hit a creature with a (melee) weapon attack", and Greenflame Blade/Booming Blade tell you to make a melee weapon attack as part of your spellcasting action, so it seems those would work just fine.

Two caveats:

- You're not using the Attack action when you cast a cantrip, so you can't use Commander's Strike with GFB/BB ("When you take the Attack action...")

- A maneuver that replaces a melee attack weapon with another effect causes the cantrip to fail; it'd be up to the DM to determine the effect, but I'd rule the replacement effect still occurs, just without the spell effect. (There isn't currently a maneuver that does this, as far as I can tell, but if Commander's Strike didn't have the 'when you take the Attack action' text, it would qualify, since it turns your GFB attack into an attack for an ally, and GFB/BB both state that if you can't take the attack, the spell fails.)

My question would be w/r/t Greenflame Blade and Sweeping Attack -- if you use Sweeping Attack on the GFB attack, would you be prevented from applying the secondary damage from GFB to the second creature you damage with the Sweeping Attack? Based on the description of both effects, I'd say yes.

--
Pauper

Most of the battlemaster maneuvers reference "hit a creature with a (melee) weapon attack", and Greenflame Blade/Booming Blade tell you to make a melee weapon attack as part of your spellcasting action, so it seems those would work just fine.

Two caveats:

- You're not using the Attack action when you cast a cantrip, so you can't use Commander's Strike with GFB/BB ("When you take the Attack action...")

- A maneuver that replaces a melee attack weapon with another effect causes the cantrip to fail; it'd be up to the DM to determine the effect, but I'd rule the replacement effect still occurs, just without the spell effect. (There isn't currently a maneuver that does this, as far as I can tell, but if Commander's Strike didn't have the 'when you take the Attack action' text, it would qualify, since it turns your GFB attack into an attack for an ally, and GFB/BB both state that if you can't take the attack, the spell fails.)

My question would be w/r/t Greenflame Blade and Sweeping Attack -- if you use Sweeping Attack on the GFB attack, would you be prevented from applying the secondary damage from GFB to the second creature you damage with the Sweeping Attack? Based on the description of both effects, I'd say yes.

--
Pauper
My gut pretty much told me the same thing about maneuvers in general, but I wanted confirmation from the devs for the sake of my AL tables. Gotta prepare for when the materials are AL legal.

As for combining GFB with Sweeping Attack, it should work together. Sweeping Attack would fall under "the attack's normal effects," and then GFB's secondary target effect would proc. Being in range to use Sweeping Attack against two enemies means that they're also in GFB range. The damage dealt to the second target would be coming from two different sources and be of different types. This combo works even better with Spell Sniper, as that allows you to use GFB with reach weapons.

Edit: The reason they work together is the "different creature" means someone other than the primary target of the attack. The second target of Sweeping Attack is irrelevant to GFB, as GFB tells you to make an attack on one creature. The second target of Sweeping Attack is more of a victim of circumstance than a primary target.

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Can someone ask if a bard can retrain his magical secrets when he levels up?

Nothing in the PH suggests that the bard can retrain the cantrips from Magical Secrets (as he can retrain his actual bard spells known). However, the bard gains additional cantrips at 14th and 18th level, and could choose a cantrip unavailable at 10th level if the DM (or campaign rule) allows.

Remove ads