D&D 5E Some recent tweets.

@Amos_Fawkes Contradiction in latest Rules answer? Do surprised combatants get a turn in the first round? If so, when in initiative?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford If you're surprised, your turn happens on your initiative as normal, but you can't do anything during it. #DnD
@Amos_Fawkes Specifically, "Then, the first round of combat starts, and the unsurprised combatants act in initiative order."
@Amos_Fawkes Oh Turn/=Act? Surprised creature still get their turn in initiative order as normal? The clarifications just aren't clear.
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford There are many circumstances in which you can have a turn but not be able to act, such as when you're incapacitated.
[MENTION=47144]Dimitris[/MENTION]Gkelis Is there a specific reason why there is no official race granting +2 to WIS, or it simply hasn't occured yet?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford It simply hasn't happened. Story drives our race design, not filling in an ability score spreadsheet. #DnD
[MENTION=96034]and[/MENTION]riecycle Can the Lucky feat be used to counter a monster's natural 20 critical hit?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Even a 20 isn't immune to the Lucky feat. #DnD

@Amos_Fawkes Contradiction in latest Rules answer? Do surprised combatants get a turn in the first round? If so, when in initiative?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford If you're surprised, your turn happens on your initiative as normal, but you can't do anything during it. #DnD
@Amos_Fawkes Specifically, "Then, the first round of combat starts, and the unsurprised combatants act in initiative order."
@Amos_Fawkes Oh Turn/=Act? Surprised creature still get their turn in initiative order as normal? The clarifications just aren't clear.
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford There are many circumstances in which you can have a turn but not be able to act, such as when you're incapacitated.
[MENTION=47144]Dimitris[/MENTION]Gkelis Is there a specific reason why there is no official race granting +2 to WIS, or it simply hasn't occured yet?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford It simply hasn't happened. Story drives our race design, not filling in an ability score spreadsheet. #DnD
[MENTION=96034]and[/MENTION]riecycle Can the Lucky feat be used to counter a monster's natural 20 critical hit?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Even a 20 isn't immune to the Lucky feat. #DnD

[MENTION=47144]Dimitris[/MENTION]Gkelis With Brutal Critical and a Greatsword do you get to reroll only 1d6 or both 2d6?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The barbarian's Brutal Critical gives the number of dice the feature specifies (greatsword gets 1 die to start).
[MENTION=47144]Dimitris[/MENTION]Gkelis Does Great Wepon Fighting fighting style let you reroll all of the attack's damage dice or just the weapon damage dice?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The intent is that Great Weapon Fighting lets you reroll just the weapon's dice, not Smite dice and the like. #DnD
[MENTION=47144]Dimitris[/MENTION]Gkelis Do you get a turn after rolling critical 20 on death saving throw or does your turn end there?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford You make a death save when your turn starts. If you roll a 20, the 1 hp you gain lets you then act. #DnD

Lord Twig

Adventurer
[MENTION=47144]Dimitris[/MENTION]Gkelis Does Great Wepon Fighting fighting style let you reroll all of the attack's damage dice or just the weapon damage dice?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The intent is that Great Weapon Fighting lets you reroll just the weapon's dice, not Smite dice and the like. #DnD

Am I the only one that thought the intent of Great Weapon Fighting was that you could re-roll ALL damage dice, including Smite or Hunter's Mark or whatever?

This is a bit of a NERF, but may not be uncalled for.

Leugren

First Post
Am I the only one that thought the intent of Great Weapon Fighting was that you could re-roll ALL damage dice, including Smite or Hunter's Mark or whatever?

I'm glad to get this clarification from Crawford. This was one of my own burning questions.

Thanks, Edwin!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter

It's a huge nerf. If you're only rerolling the weapon damage dice, then this ability is worth less than a +1 on a d12 weapon and less that +2 on a 2d6 weapon. It's worth slightly more if you crit, assuming crit dice get rerolled (at least, the ones that are weapon damage dice). It's worth more on a crit if you are a half-orc barbarian who rolls additional weapon damage dice (assuming those also count as weapon damage dice and get the reroll, which is unclear). It's also unclear whether something like the bonus damage on a flame tongue would be subject to the reroll.

Personally, I've always hated this ability because the reroll seems like an unnecessary slowdown and it's not clear to the casual player just how much the reroll is worth. I wish it had been a flat +2 since the beginning. (That's mechanically boring because of its similarity to the Dueling style, but I don't care about that.)

Coredump

Explorer

No... I would have bet money it worked with all dice. I still think the wording supports that.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
No... I would have bet money it worked with all dice. I still think the wording supports that.

The wording may support that, but as stated the intent was that only the weapon dice be rolled. That's that way we've always played it and will continue to play it. We much prefer to go with the intent of a rule than try to exploit to the maximum level possible.

You're not the only one who thought that, but there are plenty of people (including myself) who thought it was obviously not intended to apply to smites, both from the wording of the feature and because how would being good with swords boost your magical effects anyway? Good to have designer's intent here but I can't say I find his statement surprising.

Arial Black

Adventurer
The wording may support that, but as stated the intent was that only the weapon dice be rolled. That's that way we've always played it and will continue to play it. We much prefer to go with the intent of a rule than try to exploit to the maximum level possible.

The re-roll applying to every damage die of that 'attack' is not only what is written, it's the only thing that redeems the Great Weapon Fighting style; limiting the re-roll to the weapon dice only, despite the intent, makes the style not worth taking compared to any other style you could pick up.

Imagine you are armed with a longsword and have both GWF and Dueling styles. You are equally adept at both 1H and 2H usage. Without any style training, using it 2H (1d10) does more damage than using it 1H (1d8). Yet, with both styles, suddenly using it 1H (d8+2) does more damage than using it 2H (d10+0.8)!

Although applying the re-roll to all of the damage dice from the attack may not have been intended, it is actually a better rule as written than it was as intended, so I will continue to use it as written.

Remove ads