D&D 5E Some recent tweets.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Edit: The reason they work together is the "different creature" means someone other than the primary target of the attack. The second target of Sweeping Attack is irrelevant to GFB, as GFB tells you to make an attack on one creature. The second target of Sweeping Attack is more of a victim of circumstance than a primary target.

See, I don't see it that way -- I see the "different creature" as meaning "creature not damaged by the weapon attack", which would mean that you can do the primary GFB damage against either creature you damaged with the Sweeping Attack, and then deal the secondary GFB damage against a third creature within 5ft.

I don't have the book in front of me right now, so I'll have to confirm this when I do get back to it.

mellored

Legend
Nothing in the PH suggests that the bard can retrain the cantrips from Magical Secrets (as he can retrain his actual bard spells known). However, the bard gains additional cantrips at 14th and 18th level, and could choose a cantrip unavailable at 10th level if the DM (or campaign rule) allows.
Dunno about that...

Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the bard spells you know and replace it with another spell from the bard spell list,

Choose two spells from any class, including this one.... The chosen spells count as bard spells for you.

Some clarification would be good.

See, I don't see it that way -- I see the "different creature" as meaning "creature not damaged by the weapon attack", which would mean that you can do the primary GFB damage against either creature you damaged with the Sweeping Attack, and then deal the secondary GFB damage against a third creature within 5ft.

I don't have the book in front of me right now, so I'll have to confirm this when I do get back to it.
GFB says "...you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature...green fire leaps from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5' of it..."

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
That's answered already, and posted in this thread in post #98. The answer being "A spell learned via Magical Secrets counts as a bard spell, so it can be replaced upon gaining a level later."

Only to a certain, very limited extent. The spells count as Bard spells, so they can be replaced *with Bard spells.* The real intent of the question--can you replace a Magical Secrets spell with another "stolen" spell?--remains unanswered. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the question [MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION] *intended* to ask.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Only to a certain, very limited extent. The spells count as Bard spells, so they can be replaced *with Bard spells.* The real intent of the question--can you replace a Magical Secrets spell with another "stolen" spell?--remains unanswered. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the question [MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION] *intended* to ask.
I thought the question asked and answered by Crawford provided clear context, since he was asked "Was it ever officially said whether a Bard can retrain spells gained through Magical Secrets, or not?" and gave the answer he did, which to my reading says "no" to the idea of turning one non-bard spell gained from magical secrets into another (presumably higher level) non-bard spell, and "yes" to turning one non-bard spell gained from magical secrets into a (presumably higher level) bard spell.

Of course, there is a chance that Crawford didn't mean to provide that answer by way of context, but that doesn't change that the question you suggest mellored intended to ask has already been asked, and answered.

mellored

Legend
I thought the question asked and answered by Crawford provided clear context, since he was asked "Was it ever officially said whether a Bard can retrain spells gained through Magical Secrets, or not?" and gave the answer he did, which to my reading says "no" to the idea of turning one non-bard spell gained from magical secrets into another (presumably higher level) non-bard spell, and "yes" to turning one non-bard spell gained from magical secrets into a (presumably higher level) bard spell.

Of course, there is a chance that Crawford didn't mean to provide that answer by way of context, but that doesn't change that the question you suggest mellored intended to ask has already been asked, and answered.
Well... could someone tweet to clarify?

[MENTION=5661]ChaosD[/MENTION]ingus Does the Dueling fighting style apply to the Battlerager's spiked armor attacks?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The Dueling feature applies to a melee weapon wielded in one hand. Spiked armor is worn, not held. #DnD
[MENTION=6803822]NADRIGOL[/MENTION] Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade can't be used with whip at 10 feet reach... RAI?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The booming blade and green-flame blade cantrips intentionally have a range of 5 feet. #DnD
[MENTION=6803278]TheThirdFlash[/MENTION] Got a #SCAG question for the lead designer: Is bladesong compatible with two weapon fighting? Text seems to ban two handed weapons.
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Nothing in Bladesong is incompatible with wielding two weapons. #DnD
[MENTION=6722967]DaddyDM[/MENTION] #SageAdvice [MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Bard's Jack of All Trades & Champion Fighter's Remarkable Athlete features add to Concentration checks, right?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Maintaining concentration involves a Con. save. Jack of All Trades & Remarkable Athlete don't help saves. #DnD

Remove ads