Some stuff about units of measurement and spelling

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Fahrenheit = 9/5 * (Celsius) + 32. It's not the most pleasing conversion.
For a very rough approximation Fahrenheit -> Celsius I just minus 30 then divide by 2. It's close enough for me to understand Americans in everyday conversation, though it takes a quick moment.

(Or in reverse, times 2 then plus 30).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
With the early American nativists were more radical with their spelling reforms. I would be nice to have a truly phonetical and consistent spelling system for English.
You can't really do a phonetic spelling without switching to a syllabary like japanese uses. Even though Japanese uses a syllabary & can be converted to roman/english letters using something called romanji here is nice little article nearly highlighting some problems in using it that doesn't require you to know any japanese or the associated charactersets to grasp. Put in different terms, english has 26 letters & 44 sounds, by contrast japanese has two sets of 46 characters plus around 2000 or so kanji and 84 sounds. How many people do you think are going to learn a whole new syllabary when most people don't really even know what it means when a letter has a hat line dot or whatever over it?

Ryujin

Legend
For TTRPG measurements just use abstract "squares" and don't bother with how many feet/metres it is. Using other abstracts like melee/short/medium/long doesn't take into account things like the different in effective ranges between thrown and mechanically assisted ranged weapons, let alone variations on those assisted ranged weapons. A dagger should not have as good an effective range as a heavy crossbow.

And it's not nucUlar, it's nuclEar. When even the people who have their finger on the button can't say it right, you've got a problem.

shawnhcorey

wizard
You can't really do a phonetic spelling without switching to a syllabary like japanese uses. Even though Japanese uses a syllabary & can be converted to roman/english letters using something called romanji here is nice little article nearly highlighting some problems in using it that doesn't require you to know any japanese or the associated charactersets to grasp. Put in different terms, english has 26 letters & 44 sounds, by contrast japanese has two sets of 46 characters plus around 2000 or so kanji and 84 sounds. How many people do you think are going to learn a whole new syllabary when most people don't really even know what it means when a letter has a hat line dot or whatever over it?

Well, you can learn IPA.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
but converting is easy, just divide feets by 3 for meters and multiply miles by 1,5 for kilometers. even if it is not 100% correct.

A quick and more precise way to get km from miles is to duplicate four times then divide by ten. Then add a km for every hundred miles.

Orius

Legend
For a game like D&D, metric units feel anachronistic. But in a sci-fi game, well any sci-fi media really, hearing non-metric is like nails on the chalkboard of my mind. I'm not worried about battle maps, for dungeon scale maps, I'd just use 1.5/3m for 5/10ft., the difference is only off by millimeters/fractions of inches (and I've done the math to check it), so it's not really going to make a difference in game scale.

Remove ads