Something I have noticed about Storyhours...

tleilaxu

First Post
The storyhours with the most views tend to feature high level characters.

Coincidence? I think not.

Anyone else notice this? Care to share your theories why?

Darklone

Old Ones is a bad example for this... but putting all his 8 threads together ... his characters are still around 4th level.

For the other stories... some of the characters started at low levels but reached higher ones now.

High level characters have more options. More options make for more interesting stories.

All, high level characters tend to face threats that are more interesting than the usual low-level threats. E.g., at low level you might be defending against yet another cliched "orcs attack the town" threat; at high level you might be negotiating treaties with other nations, leading armies in a religious war, or hopping across the planes.

Morte

Explorer
I do find the higher level story hours more interesting. Perhaps it's because I haven't gotten to play/DM much at higher levels myself, so I'm experiencing it vicariously. There's also a sort of "ooh ahh" Star Wars effect to watching those high level magics fly. ;)

The high level story hours have generally been going longer. They'll pick up more readers by sheer accumulation. And when people discover say Wulf's SH and go back to catch up from the beginning, it's likely to take them 20 views to do so instead of one. Perhaps forums mechanics dictate that the view count for a story hour depends on the square of its length, or something like that...

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Well, there's one simple explanation for this: Lots of views means lots of posts, lots of posts means lots of sessions run, lots of sessions run means lots of XP, lots of XP means lots of levels.

The #2 Story Hour (in terms of views) is Wulf's, I think, and although it just ended with the PC's around 18th level or so, don't forget that it started at 1st level.

My own story hour was in the top 15 in views for a long time, and the PC's started in that at 7th level, and are 12th level now (although I've been lax in posting for the past few months). That's not all that high level.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Kid Charlemagne said:
The #2 Story Hour (in terms of views) is Wulf's, I think, and although it just ended with the PC's around 18th level or so, don't forget that it started at 1st level.

On top of which, in my opinion, the best parts are the low-level ones. Or maybe the low-mid range, say 4th to 7th.

Basically anything pre-teleport, pre-commune, pre-raise dead-- but that's my biased opinion of D&D in general. =)

Wulf

Lazybones

Adventurer
I agree with Morte; most of the high-level threads started in more humble beginnings and accumulated view count through many, many posts/page views. After all, both Wulf and PCat both prune their threads regularly of extraneous posts; they've both had many, many more posts than they currently have (and more posts generally = more readers, and more views).

Sepulchrave, of course, started with high level characters, but his story hour would be popular if it focused on 1st level commoners, I think, given the quality of his writing.

Also, threads with high-level characters often involve characters that have been played for a long time (not always, but often), making them more developed and more interesting to read about.

My own characters are ECL 12 right now, but they started as ECL 3. My view count is mostly just accrual from about two dozen readers who have stuck with me throughout the whole saga.

Sammael99

First Post
tleilaxu said:
The storyhours with the most views tend to feature high level characters.

Coincidence? I think not.

Anyone else notice this? Care to share your theories why?

The statistician in me says that the campaigns that are the most popular are the ones that started at low levels and are now at high levels (Sep's being the exception) hence more views.

That being said, I think there is more draw towards high-level because it's a novel experience for most readers.

I myself enjoy Sep's very much but like Nemm's about as much, and that's not a high-level campaign.

Tortoise

First Post
A slight correction about Old One's campaign ...

The character levels range from 4th at the low end (maybe 5th), to 6th for the highest couple of characters.

If I recall correctly here's where everyone lines up:

Rowan Brightwood - Ranger3/Rogue3 = 6th
Quintus Scipio - Sorcerer6
Rose - Barbarian 5th
Sextus Scipio - Bard4/Ranger1 = 5th
Craigan - Cleric3/Fighter1??? = 4th

We're on hiatus and I don't remember the exact levels, but I know at least 2 of our characters have hit 6th.

Remove ads