• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

sons first adventure, plus dungeon mapper tool

BlindGeekUK

First Post
my 9 year old son plays a warlock in my campaign. when we started the campaign he said that one day he'd like to gm...

well, this weekend, he wrote up his first adventure, a short delve like game with undead and other monsters.

his initial attempts at drawing a map were terrible, and I remembered that when i started learning to program in my teens I built a dungeon mapper. so I went thru my backup discs and found it. attached is a screenshot of the vb3 original version, and also attached is the vb6 compiled version (vb3 doesn't compile on vista)

it's rough and limited, but I think i'm going to redo in vb.net, and apply some of my industry skills to add in a 3d render mode

Attachments

• dungeonmapper preview.png
    dungeonmapper preview.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 309
  • The keep of dreams.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 150
  • mapbuilder.zip
    9.8 KB · Views: 140

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
Though I much prefer hand-drawing things out, I do like the app! The simplicity of it is nice.

I took a look at the adventure, it reminds me of the game idea stuff I came up with when I was around that age. As far as helping him with map drawing, did you give him a blank sheet of paper or graph paper? Having a grid might help, though I prefer having rough sketches versus carefully-gridded maps to work with in most situations, but there's only so much winging it you can handle at 9 years old.

Maybe something like dungeon tiles might help? Though there's certainly a limiting element to it, the limiting aspect also makes things a lot easier as you get to pick from options rather than from whatever pops up in your head.

BlindGeekUK

First Post
Though I much prefer hand-drawing things out, I do like the app! The simplicity of it is nice.
Cheers. I wrote that when I was learning vb2, so about 1993? I took a look at the code last night and was shocked at how clever some of my coding was and was also shocked to see how little some of my style has changed.

For the updated version, i'm thinking of keeping the same basic premise of selecting a room/corridor type, and clicking on the map to add it, with curved lines, and customs room/corridor sizing.

I was going to expand it so rather than the rooms always being added from the top left point, a right mouse click would add from top right, and holding ctrl when clicking will draw from bottom left/right.

I was going to add in selections for all the usual legend items i.e. pit traps, one way secrets.

The last major things I want to change is to add a zoomed in drawing window, so you can see the whole level and just a small area at the same time, I want to add hyperlinks, so you can add a number to a room and clicking on it will take you to a screen where you can name the room, add a description, mosnters, traps etc and export this to Word. And possibly the biggest idea I want to add is levels.

So that basically you can design as dungeon as it is at the moment, but you could define rooms as belonging to a specific floor level so that when rendered in 3d they can sit on top or below other rooms.

I took a look at the adventure, it reminds me of the game idea stuff I came up with when I was around that age. As far as helping him with map drawing, did you give him a blank sheet of paper or graph paper? Having a grid might help, though I prefer having rough sketches versus carefully-gridded maps to work with in most situations, but there's only so much winging it you can handle at 9 years old.
I must admit that it looked better than I was expecting, given I was writing the same style of stuff when I was 11/12. I've not checked the monsters to see if they are appropriate to the party level (6 level 4 characters).

Maybe something like dungeon tiles might help? Though there's certainly a limiting element to it, the limiting aspect also makes things a lot easier as you get to pick from options rather than from whatever pops up in your head.
We've got some cheap versions of dungeon tiles (WorldWorks ones printed on paper and mounted on cereal box card), but i'm finding it hard to find the official ones at a reasonable price. After he drew his map (on blank paper), I let him lose with these and he refined it down to a pretty good design. I'll scan in his original map and the revised version later.

BlindGeekUK

First Post
As an interim measure i've updated the vb6 version with:
Stairs
Custom Room size
Corners
Obstacle/feature
Adding rooms can no be done top left (left click), top right (right click), bottom left (ctrl+left clieck), bottom right (ctrl+right click)

I'm going to aim to update it again before the end of the day with an undo feature, load/save working, and clear line working

Attachments

• mapbuilderv2.zip
    11.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

BlindGeekUK

First Post
Attached are some screenshots from a pipework program I work on. My eventual intention is to render the floors as a flat texture, stairs as a set of steps and doors/pillars in 3d

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 09 11.24.png
    ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 09 11.24.png
    29 KB · Views: 75
  • ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 09 11.23.png
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 09 11.23.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 78

BlindGeekUK

First Post
Version 3, vb6 version

This has load/save (uses basic bitmaps)
Undo (tools menu, or ctrl+z)
Larger grid size
Adding stairs with right mouse click draws them the opposite way (up/left rather than down/right)
A kind of working clear line functionality

Attachments

• mapbuilderv3.zip
    16.6 KB · Views: 108

BlindGeekUK

First Post
has anyone got any comments/suggestions?

I've got a working prototype in vb.net, but it needs improving.

The things i'm considering adding next:
Curved walls (1x1,2x2 to begin with)
Diagonal corridors
Custom corridors (width, length)
Custom stairs (width, length)
Raised areas
Double doors
Illusional walls
'Templates' - ability to lay out a set of objects, select them, and store them for use later
More features - specifically pillars, statues, pits, thrones, tables, curtains, coffins

Take a look at maptool. Not especially suggesting you use it, just might give you some ideas in terms of UI. A LOT of people use it and the feature set and UI has certainly been polished down pretty well over the last several years. It might give you some ideas. Layers in general are pretty handy and mt handles them both reasonably simply and still gives you what you need (though some of the UI in that whole piece of it IMHO could be better).

There are several commercial and non-commercial VTT applications out there besides mt as well. Probably be interesting to check out some and see how they did various things.

BlindGeekUK

First Post
Take a look at maptool. Not especially suggesting you use it, just might give you some ideas in terms of UI. A LOT of people use it and the feature set and UI has certainly been polished down pretty well over the last several years. It might give you some ideas. Layers in general are pretty handy and mt handles them both reasonably simply and still gives you what you need (though some of the UI in that whole piece of it IMHO could be better).

There are several commercial and non-commercial VTT applications out there besides mt as well. Probably be interesting to check out some and see how they did various things.
i've tried maptools and autorealm in the past and couldn't get on with them, and they are certainly better than this could be. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes with this, this was an ancient prototype, that I could quickly update and throw up here for free.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads