D&D 5E Sorcerer Spells what should I get?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Hey all -

I'm looking for spells that can do great damage. I would also if possible like to be able to do more magical attack spells at range, due to the Tides of Chaos.

Metamagic: Careful, Empowered, Twin
Tiefling, Levistus: Darkness and Armor of Agathys
Current spells (can know 11)
  1. Magic Missile, Chaos Bolt, Gift of Alacrity (GM allowed)
  2. Enhance Ability
  3. Fireball, Haste, Counterspell
  4. Banishment
  5. Synaptic Static, Telekinesis
  6. Sunbeam
(The Sunbeam is not set yet, as I am just now getting it.)
I also just got the Staff of Defense which gives me Mage Armor and Shield basically for free-ish.

Other party members:
An 11th level Cleric
A 11th level Bladedancer wizard with some levels of fighter
A 7th level Cleric with some levels of something else
An 11th Gloomstalker Ranger
A 6th Oath Paladin / 1st Hexblade Warlock
I include them to show that we have a lot of coverage of "utility" type spells like Detect Magic, Identify, etc.

GM is allowing us to use spells from any source except Eberron and M:tG settings (I could probably persuade him to let me use Theros spells if there are any).

So, suggestions on spells that do solid damage and also allow me to use my Tides of Chaos for advantage on my attack rolls? Also, I have chosen a lot of AOE (Area of Effect) spells; and not a lot of direct damage to one target spells. I'm looking to upgrade in that area too.
Thanks.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Hey all -

I'm looking for spells that can do great damage. I would also if possible like to be able to do more magical attack spells at range, due to the Tides of Chaos.

Metamagic: Careful, Empowered, Twin
Tiefling, Levistus: Darkness and Armor of Agathys
Current spells (can know 11)
  1. Magic Missile, Chaos Bolt, Gift of Alacrity (GM allowed)
  2. Enhance Ability
  3. Fireball, Haste, Counterspell
  4. Banishment
  5. Synaptic Static, Telekinesis
  6. Sunbeam
(The Sunbeam is not set yet, as I am just now getting it.)
I also just got the Staff of Defense which gives me Mage Armor and Shield basically for free-ish.

Other party members:
An 11th level Cleric
A 11th level Bladedancer wizard with some levels of fighter
A 7th level Cleric with some levels of something else
An 11th Gloomstalker Ranger
A 6th Oath Paladin / 1st Hexblade Warlock
I include them to show that we have a lot of coverage of "utility" type spells like Detect Magic, Identify, etc.

GM is allowing us to use spells from any source except Eberron and M:tG settings (I could probably persuade him to let me use Theros spells if there are any).

So, suggestions on spells that do solid damage and also allow me to use my Tides of Chaos for advantage on my attack rolls? Also, I have chosen a lot of AOE (Area of Effect) spells; and not a lot of direct damage to one target spells. I'm looking to upgrade in that area too.
Thanks.
Wall of Fire is a powerful 4th-level spell that does 10d8 damage if they fail the save of being in the wall and the save to go through it. Even if they succeed both saves, it's still 5d8 damage which is really close to a fireball's failed dex save.

I wouldn't bother to ever use Tides of Chaos for attack rolls. Advantage on saving throws are much more valuable since all you need for attack advantage is being hidden, invisible, helped, etc.

pnewman

Adventurer
Have you considered picking up "Shield"?
After you do a big damage spell you will be the number one target for any sensible bad guys, and Shield may help you stay conscious and alive long enough to do more damaging spells.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yes but not an infinite number of times. Knowing the spell would provide even more protection.
No, only 5 times per day (10 charges per day, 2 charges per use.) So obviously it will depend on how often and for how long @Eyes of Nine will be in combat each day... but if you already have access to up to 5 uses of Shield via a magic item, spending one of your very limited known sorcerer spells on the same exact spell to me seems needlessly redundant and not a great use of resources. The OP's mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
No, only 5 times per day (10 charges per day, 2 charges per use.) So obviously it will depend on how often and for how long @Eyes of Nine will be in combat each day... but if you already have access to up to 5 used of Shield via a magic item, spending one of your very limited known sorcerer spells on the same exact spell to me seems needlessly redundant and not a great use of resources. The OP's mileage may vary.

I get attacked less than 5 times per day, on average.
DEFCON 1 is right. I need spells that do damage, not protect myself from damage.
Tides of Chaos for saves - good call, I will start doing that.

Maybe I'll switch out Telekinesis for Blight (which I can twin).

I was hoping for a 2nd level spell though that could do ~4d6 damage to one target. thoughts?

Vaslov

Explorer
As said up thread Wall of Fire would be the go to. As you have the Twin Spell metamagic spells disintegrate or enervation would be strong picks for single target damage. Storm Sphere might be worth it as the lighting as bonus action damage can add up over a long fight.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
I don't know if they are on the sorcerer's list, but my wizard Always takes Animate Objects and Wall of Force as 5th Lvl, and Mass Suggestion at 6th

Remove ads