Sorcerer with Elemental bloodline

Odysseus

Explorer
I'm going to be playing a Sorcerer with the Elemental bloodline in our next PF campaign. And i'm trying to avoid him using rays, and focus on area abilities, or things that don't require an to hit roll. However I get Elemental ray automatically. Are there any alternatives to this? Or variations that arn't rays?

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
Well, you could have it NOT be a ray. Instead of a "ray" of stone, you could throw a handful of rocks. Instead of a ray of water, you could throw water balloons. Fire could be a clump of hot ash and air could be a gust of dust-containing wind.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Well, you could have it NOT be a ray. Instead of a "ray" of stone, you could throw a handful of rocks. Instead of a ray of water, you could throw water balloons. Fire could be a clump of hot ash and air could be a gust of dust-containing wind.
Play nice now.

In response to the actual question, no, I am pretty sure that you are stuck with the ray, though our GM might be willing to trade it for something of identical level, though low level AoE spells tend to be a trifle underwhelming. (If you are in range to use Burning Hands then the foe is within a range that he finds convenient for inflicting stabbity death on you. And you just caught his attention by setting his hair on fire.)

The Auld Grump

Walking Dad

First Post
I think he was- I think he was just suggesting ways to reskin the power, which may be cool for the OP. Or not.

... focus on area abilities, or things that don't require an to hit roll...

I don't think this is about flavor.

To answer the OP:

There are some new bloodlines in the APG that 'feel' elemental, but are their own thing (in brackets are the powers they gain instead of a 'ray'):
Boreal (Ice & snow) - (frost quality on weapon)
Deep Earth - (tremor, ranged trip vs CMB)
Stormborn (Thinder & lightning) - (shock quality on weapon)

Perhaps your DM allows you to replace the 'rays' with the '3+ability mod / day' powers of the ‎Elemental Arcane Schools‎.

Is your concern that your attack roll is low? Well don't be, remember it is a touch attack so many enemies are quite easy to hit. In any case it is meant to be used when you don't have anything better left to cast, and the Sorc. in my game is quite happy spamming this power whenever he can.

Compared to the other 1st level powers it's not bad really. And you do get other stuff.

Odysseus

Explorer
Play nice now.

In response to the actual question, no, I am pretty sure that you are stuck with the ray, though our GM might be willing to trade it for something of identical level

The Auld Grump

I'd come to the same conclusion. Its only a replacement for a crossbow, so I'm not looking for anything powerful. Just something that fits the character better. So the Water balloon isn't that bad. The only other alternative I was thinking of asking my DM about, was taking an Elemental Familar instead of the Elemental Ray.

I don't think this is about flavor.

To answer the OP:

There are some new bloodlines in the APG that 'feel' elemental, but are their own thing (in brackets are the powers they gain instead of a 'ray'):
Boreal (Ice & snow) - (frost quality on weapon)
Deep Earth - (tremor, ranged trip vs CMB)
Stormborn (Thinder & lightning) - (shock quality on weapon)

Perhaps your DM allows you to replace the 'rays' with the '3+ability mod / day' powers of the ‎Elemental Arcane Schools‎.

I like the sound of these, I'll see what my DM says. Thxs

Last edited:

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
Sorry. My intention wasn't to come off as a jerk, it was to try to add emphasis to what I was trying to get across, which was the mechanics of the ability would stay the same, but the appearance would change, which upon further review, isn't what the OP wanted. M'bad.

Giving it more thought, if you went with something like I suggested (which you obviously don't have to), you could turn those options into area effect spells with maybe a 5-foot radius, thereby eliminating the attack roll and making the monsters/NPC use a Reflex save instead. Again, just a thought.

Remove ads