D&D 5E Sorcerers and Versatility

Ashrym

Legend
To whom it might be relevant (I might have lost track, doh!), I think it's you missing the point and not me. I agree that more spells known is an advantage over less spells known. The other argument was based on the fact that wizards aren't necessarily going to keep the same spells as the sorcerer and if they choose not to then they can make a mistake. A constant list just means taking less advantage of the preparation mechanic. My argument is based on the same basis as yours where the lists remain similar and the few more carry less potential impact for successful or unsuccessful choices.

More spells readily available is an advantage.

The problem with your argument is that it's not that much advantage with careful spell selection to offset other advantages.

When you responded to me you pointed out that a feat can give AC too. All that did was keep them on equal footing at one feat cost for the same AC and rituals. That doesn't demonstrate superiority for wizards. It demonstrates equality in those 2 areas while still having removed rituals as am advantage.

When you went further on, you mentioned the additional spells were just for illustrative purposes beyond enhance ability having been listed. That doesn't eliminate enhance ability as a good choice and not available to the wizard. Instead, you would go with a different good choice. Between different good choices all we have is different and not superior.

What I find interesting is those other good options. Flaming sphere certainly isn't a bad spell but the damage is easy enough to avoid outside of the bonus action attack and that does 7 damage while elemental affinity already does up to 5 (likely 4 at 6th level) without using up the bonus action, concentration, or a spell slot. Pyrotechnics is a one-trick-pony style of use that eats up spell slots even faster. At that point you have pyrotechnics, flaming sphere, likely levitate since it was used in your example, and only one more spell in your spellbook for 2nd-level from level up choices.

That lets you do a bit more damage for 3 encounters, maybe 4, and less the rest of the time while running out of slots first. It's also a damage plus utility plus levitate vs damage plus utility plus levitate. This gets back to simply being different over better because enhance ability will cover more diversity than your one other 2nd-level spell.

I am not underestimating rituals because using them always costs your concentration and the bad guys just aren't going to stand and wait while you cast leomunds. The fight's over before it's cast. They also aren't necessarily available in the spellbook because of limited choices adding spells to the book and the need to find more. We've also already agreed that the sorcerer can duplicate the feature anyway.

I think flaming sphere is a good spell, btw, but having taken that good spell doesn't preclude a sorcerer from simply having different good spells available.

You just aren't convincing me of this gap between the classes. What I see is the expectation that sorcerers should be wizards instead of similar but different because of a focus on the wizard differences while the sorcerer benefits are good too.

Last edited:

Delandel

First Post
At the end of the day, when the rare and very specific situations where the wizard convenient has the right spell due to being able to prep 20% extra spells or something then, yes, the wizard would outshine the sorcerer.

Goodness. You downplay the versatility power of the wizard so much that if I valued your posts as gospel I would think that the wizard seriously needs buffs! Very rare and specific situations where the poor wizard can do greatness, unlike those sorcerers with their super powerful metamagic.

I mean, really. There's no point debating with you.

When you responded to me you pointed out that a feat can give AC too. All that did was keep them on equal footing at one feat cost for the same AC and rituals. That doesn't demonstrate superiority for wizards. It demonstrates equality in those 2 areas while still having removed rituals as am advantage.

Alright, the sorcerer goes and takes Ritual Caster. It gives him 2 ritual 1st lvl ritual spells. That can boost out 6th level sorcerer from 7 spells known to 9, versus the wizard's 16 spells. This doesn't magically close the gap.

Meanwhile, the abjuration wizard picks up Lightly Armored. It gives him access to padded leather armor, 12+DEX AC, plus a +1 to his DEX. This is either 1 less AC if the DEX is bumped to an odd number, or equal AC plus extra DEX-related bonuses (saves mostly, both vs. attacks and adventuring) if the DEX is bumped to an even number. This either is close to closing the gap, or equals (and exceeds) it.

And you conveniently ignored the "extra 6 HP" argument: that the abjuration wizard is getting at least 16 extra HP from his ability, that he can lend to his allies, and that he can recharge to further its potency.

So no, it's not equal.

That doesn't eliminate enhance ability as a good choice and not available to the wizard. Instead, you would go with a different good choice. Between different good choices all we have is different and not superior.

The sorcerer gets, hm, one good spell that the wizard doesn't have access to? How many spells does the wizard get that the sorcerer doesn't? How many good ones? You REALLY think it's equal? You're going to fight this too? We can. Go look up all the wizard-exclusive spells vs. the sorcerer ones.

What I find interesting is those other good options. Flaming sphere certainly isn't a bad spell but the damage is easy enough to avoid outside of the bonus action attack and that does 7 damage while elemental affinity already does up to 5 (likely 4 at 6th level) without using up the bonus action, concentration, or a spell slot. Pyrotechnics is a one-trick-pony style of use that eats up spell slots even faster. At that point you have pyrotechnics, flaming sphere, likely levitate since it was used in your example, and only one more spell in your spellbook for 2nd-level from level up choices.

You're still nitpicking an illustrative example that was made in a response to a different subject. I have no idea why, but I'll entertain it.

First of all, flaming sphere hits multiple foes. You do not use this against one creature. You use something else against one creature (wizard spell versatility, remember?).

Pyrotechnics is good, and wizards can afford to have "one trick ponies," as you underplay it.

Finally, if we're rearranging the wizard spell list optimally, I may not even take levitate. No, I'm not going to cobble together a list just for you. I'll entertain this conversation but not waste that much time on it. You can. Feel free to.

I am not underestimating rituals because using them always costs your concentration and the bad guys just aren't going to stand and wait while you cast leomunds. The fight's over before it's cast. They also aren't necessarily available in the spellbook because of limited choices adding spells to the book and the need to find more. We've also already agreed that the sorcerer can duplicate the feature anyway.

Anyone with basic knowledge of rituals in 5e knows they're meant for out of combat utility. To start downplaying their effectiveness because of difficulty casting in combat is downright absurd.

You're not even correct about concentration, only 2 out of 18 rituals available require concentration. EDIT: Sorry, you meant while casting, not maintaining. You're right but it's an irrelevant point to make due to it being out of combat utility.

As for the leomund's hut example, two ways it shines:

1) There's not always "safe rest areas" as you describe. Say you're making camp in a dangerous environment, like a dungeon (as adventurers generally find themselves in), and your party is low on resources to handle a fight in the night. You set it up so wandering monsters don't ruin your night.

2) you're in a position where you have to defend a location from enemies you know will arrive later on. Maybe you're defending a town. Maybe you've set up a defense in a narrow tunnel. Whatever the situation, you cast it, and now you have an impenetrable defense in that spot. It's tactical. The opponents can't assault your spot, and if they try, they eat arrows while you have no fear of reprisal.

So yes, you are underestimating rituals.

I think flaming sphere is a good spell, btw, but having taken that good spell doesn't preclude a sorcerer from simply having different good spells available.

Wizards get more, many more spells available, and many more good spells. That's my point. (For what reason, I don't know.)

You just aren't convincing me of this gap between the classes. What I see is the expectation that sorcerers should be wizards instead of similar but different because of a focus on the wizard differences while the sorcerer benefits are good too.

You see what you want to see and you never were going to be convinced anyway.

I never said sorcerer should be wizards. OP never said they should. DaveDash never said they should.

If you need a refresher and can't find the OP main point, it's here:

THEORETICALLY, the sorcerer's metamagic abilities make up for this. But their metamagic picks are quite limited....so when one of them turns out to be ineffective or circumstantial...it hurts significantly.

We are saying that the sorcerer's metamagic was intended to balance out their lack of spell versatility, by giving them ways to modify the limited spells they know to cover their bases. But in practice, the limited metamagics and plain bad metamagics leave something to be desired.

THAT is what we're arguing in this thread before Jester and yourself derail things in "oh but the wizard's good things aren't that good."

Last edited:

Delandel

First Post
Check the "Longer Casting Times" section on PHB 202. Casting a spell which requires more than 1 action eats your concentration for the whole casting time. That includes all rituals.

Casting the spell, yes. Not maintaining it. You concentrate on a Leomund's Hut for 1 minute, then it lasts 8 hours without concentration.

Ah, he meant concentrating for casting. Sorry Ashrym, I misunderstood.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The whole point is wizard have the possibility of picking bad spells on a daily basis whereas sorcerers can only pick bad spells on during creation and level up. Been that way since both classes were created. The spellbook is better than spells known, yes. It does require more system mastery. And a sorcerer can do more with spells ass they alone have metamagic and a second resource.

The wizard's method of spellcasting is stronger but the sorcerer has some advantages over them. And if the adventure or DM plays them up heavily, it can be stark.

One class uses prefers greataxes to greatswords.

Ashrym

Legend
Goodness. You downplay the versatility power of the wizard so much that if I valued your posts as gospel I would think that the wizard seriously needs buffs! Very rare and specific situations where the poor wizard can do greatness, unlike those sorcerers with their super powerful metamagic.

I mean, really. There's no point debating with you.

Ridiculing his responses instead of being capable of refuting them doesn't give much credence to debating with you.

Alright, the sorcerer goes and takes Ritual Caster. It gives him 2 ritual 1st lvl ritual spells. That can boost out 6th level sorcerer from 7 spells known to 9, versus the wizard's 16 spells. This doesn't magically close the gap.

It provides the opportunity to perform rituals, and also to pick up more rituals. You are still basing your argument on the assumption the number of spells known is a significantly superior option compared to other benefits not available and then arguing as if it were true. That's just begging the question and a common fallacy.

The point is that ritual casting is available in similar format to wizards and it's more available than the bard version of the same ability.

Meanwhile, the abjuration wizard picks up Lightly Armored. It gives him access to padded leather armor, 12+DEX AC, plus a +1 to his DEX. This is either 1 less AC if the DEX is bumped to an odd number, or equal AC plus extra DEX-related bonuses (saves mostly, both vs. attacks and adventuring) if the DEX is bumped to an even number. This either is close to closing the gap, or equals (and exceeds) it.

Incorrect. They end up with the same DEX bonus in the end depending on when they top up that last point of it. Neither will leave it odd. The armor you are taking from the feat is still a lower AC than mage armor or draconic resilience provides so you are actually still at an AC deficit in your example in comparison for the wizard.

You aren't even correct on the AC from the armor type. Padded and leather are AC 11 plus DEX mod. Studded leather is AC 12 plus DEX mod. Just continuing to run mage armor or draconic resilience is AC 13 plus DEX mod and your feat plus +1 DEX isn't catching the same AC without additional DEX invested beyond the sorcerer by at least 1 more DEX point than the feat also added.

And you conveniently ignored the "extra 6 HP" argument: that the abjuration wizard is getting at least 16 extra HP from his ability, that he can lend to his allies, and that he can recharge to further its potency.

The protection granted by casting ABJURATION spells? ;-)

If you look back at the spell list under discussion, that was the mage armor spell that is no longer there in lieu of a feat and counterspell, which requires a very situational moment for that 3rd level spell slot that also loses a casting of either fireball or haste in having done so.

In order to make use of the ability, the wizard needs to restrict his spells more to the appropriate school (like Jester stated earlier in the thread) and that impacts the spells the wizard is applying. In an argument about versatility you are bringing up a restriction on that versatility. If you suggest going back to not spending the feat for armor then the wizard still ends up down that 1st-level slot compared to the sorcerer but also has an easy method of adding a 16 hp ward. The ward is decent but it doesn't stop the character from being the lowest hit points for a sleep spell and doesn't respond to things like the healer feat or spells.

The sorcerer gets, hm, one good spell that the wizard doesn't have access to? How many spells does the wizard get that the sorcerer doesn't? How many good ones? You REALLY think it's equal? You're going to fight this too? We can. Go look up all the wizard-exclusive spells vs. the sorcerer ones.

I do think it's equal because the sorcerer still gets good spells to which the wizard also has access. The lack of a lot of differences in spells doesn't make the available options any weaker. That's another standard fallacy.

To be quite clear, none of options a, b, or c become any better than options a or d just because the first list of options is longer. Spells are ranked based on relative power in a given spell level with the general situation of all spells of the same level being roughly equal. What's better is often in the eye of the beholder.

The sorcerer doesn't need as many options as long as the options the sorcerer has include good options. Exclusive != superior.

You're still nitpicking an illustrative example that was made in a response to a different subject. I have no idea why, but I'll entertain it.

If you have no idea why then perhaps you might not understand things quite as well as you think. (jk) ;-)

First of all, flaming sphere hits multiple foes. You do not use this against one creature. You use something else against one creature (wizard spell versatility, remember?).

Flaming sphere doesn't hit multiple opponents. They are required to end their turn within range of it for that to happen on just need to move to avoid it. What makes this spell good is it promotes movement and soft terrain control so it can open up opportunity attacks. The spell damage is easy to avoid. What it doesn't do is offer the single target spike that the sorcerer had with a quickened 2nd level spell and followup cantrip.

The wizard uses flaming sphere as a bonus action to attack one of the creatures or one creature on top of a cantrip attack for bonus damage. That's part of the versatility in having the spell. Using a different spell doesn't remove the option for a sorcerer to use a spell.

Flaming sphere is a good spell and has it's advantages. Flaming sphere being a good spell doesn't mean the sorcerer doesn't also have a good different spell to use. You can't win an argument based on the options that are not available while ignoring the options that are.

Pyrotechnics is good, and wizards can afford to have "one trick ponies," as you underplay it.

One trick ponies that are never or rarely used make little difference and in using it runs the spell slots out so they become no-trick ponies while the sorcerer just casts more spells. That's a wizard shooting himself in the foot more than an advantage.

Finally, if we're rearranging the wizard spell list optimally, I may not even take levitate. No, I'm not going to cobble together a list just for you. I'll entertain this conversation but not waste that much time on it. You can. Feel free to.

That's too bad. Every time someone cobbles the list it demonstrates how little advantage that list really has. We're back to simply having about 1 more option per spell level that doesn't necessarily come in to play and when it does loses another option that would have been useful later because of spell slot costs.

Anyone with basic knowledge of rituals in 5e knows they're meant for out of combat utility. To start downplaying their effectiveness because of difficulty casting in combat is downright absurd.

An example given to which I responded was for a combat use so, duh, I never expected it to be useful, but out of combat uses still carry little impact because they're usually covered by skills, other useful spells (like alter self), or replaced by a feat.

You're not even correct about concentration, only 2 out of 18 rituals available require concentration.

Of course I'm right and you don't know the rules. ;-)

"L o n g e r C a s t i n g T im e s
Certain spells (including spells cast as rituals) require more time to cast: minutes or even hours. When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than a single action or reaction, you must spend your action each turn casting the spell, and you must maintain your concentration while you do so (see “Concentration” below). If your concentration is broken, the spell fails, but you don’t expend a spell slot. If you want to try casting the spell again, you must start over."

As for the leomund's hut example, two ways it shines:

1) There's not always "safe rest areas" as you describe. Say you're making camp in a dangerous environment, like a dungeon (as adventurers generally find themselves in), and your party is low on resources to handle a fight in the night. You set it up so wandering monsters don't ruin your night.

2) you're in a position where you have to defend a location from enemies you know will arrive later on. Maybe you're defending a town. Maybe you've set up a defense in a narrow tunnel. Whatever the situation, you cast it, and now you have an impenetrable defense in that spot. It's tactical. The opponents can't assault your spot, and if they try, they eat arrows while you have no fear of reprisal.

So yes, you are underestimating rituals.

Now you are using the combat application of the ritual for which you stated it has out of combat applications. It's situational, 1 ritual and not indicative of all rituals, not big enough to defend a town, and allows the enemies to simply move somewhere else.

I can just find a place to hide for an hour, with advantage on the roll using enhance ability, and rest for an hour on a sorcerer. This also gets back to things like barricading doors, other spells, wilderness vs city vs dungeon, etc. It's not common enough or impacting enough to outweigh other benefits that happen more often (like bonus damage during combat) just because the option might present itself once in a while. The frequency of your example doesn't lend it credibility.

Wizards get more, many more spells available, and many more good spells. That's my point. (For what reason, I don't know.)

2 at 1st level isn't many, it progresses over time (several levels), and still works out to about 1 single choice per spell level. That's 1 spell option that is still traded off for another in it's casting due to spell slots. A moment of usefulness due to the extra spell in one round is a moment lacking usefulness in another because the spell slot has already been used.

More spells doesn't equal to better options. It equals to different options at different times. This might present an opportunity or it might not but it doesn't prevent the sorcerer from having a useful option. It provided different strengths at different times due to different advantages.

We are saying that the sorcerer's metamagic was intended to balance out their lack of spell versatility, by giving them ways to modify the limited spells they know to cover their bases. But in practice, the limited metamagics and plain bad metamagics leave something to be desired.

THAT is what we're arguing in this thread before Jester and yourself derail things in "oh but the wizard's good things aren't that good."

Reread the OP. It was "no rituals, less spells, no preparation, expanded list blah blah wizards have nice stuffs". It's based on the idea that the versatility isn't there when there is versatility, just less than a wizard, when versatility is one of the points of playing a wizard. If those are the qualities a player wants then play the wizard; that's what they do. Or play a druid; that's also what they do.

Complaining that a sorcerer lacks the abilities of a wizard does appear that the player just wants a wizard with the sorcerer tag attached to it. Metamagic is that good and it is exclusive. As it is there is very little benefit to playing any other spell caster over a sorcerer and the only reason not to play a sorcerer is the more restricted spell selection that isn't much more restricting at all when a person looks at how many more spells that really means for other arcane spell casters.

What's worse, the arguments you use ignore other benefits. In your case you missed at least 2 rules that you didn't have correct in what I quoted above alone.

The bottom line is that sorcerers are not hard done by. They have good spell options. They have opportunities for other options. They have strong class mechanics. If you think someone disagreeing with you on an internet forum when it's information directly listed in the OP is a derailment I don't think you understand what that means. There's nothing off topic because we're discussion items off a bullet list in the OP.

You might need to smile more. ;-)

aramis erak

Legend
As Warlocks do, you mean? No, no they don't. The agonizing blast invocation applies bonus damage to EACH hit, as per both text and dev response. Eldritch Blast invokes multiple attacks. This is on top of Hex and the like. Elemental Affinity applies ONCE per spell.

Eldritch blast, Warlock: 1d10+3/4 => 2d10 + 8/10 => 3d10 + 15 => 4d10 + 20
Firebolt, draconic Sorcerer: 1d10 => 2d10+4/5 => 3d10 + 5 => 4d10 + 5

Twinned, quickened, or maximized...

Twinned: two tagets for that 1d10, which is 2d10 at level 5, 3d10 at level 11, and 4d10 at level 17.

Quickened: becomes bonus action, and a standard action can still be used to cast a cantrip... so, do it again.

maximized: reroll Cha Mod (min 1) damage dice... Essentially, advantage for damage.

A 5th level Sorcerer with Fire Bolt can twin and quicken one (3 SP), and twin the second (1 SP) and put out 4x 2d10 each fire bolts in round 1. He is required to target no less than two beings to do that. That said, he can do 4d10 to two targets, scrap a 3rd slot for +3 SP, and repeat. If he is willing to forgo all his leveled slots, he can get 16 SP... and spam lots of relatively low HP targets away.

At 11th, he's got 11SP base, each fire bolt is 3d10, and for 1 SP, turns to 2... that's 6d10 across two targets - directly comparable to the warlock's (average is actually 1.5 points higher), and for 2 extra, can cast it a second time in a round. And scrapping leveled slots can get up to 47 more SP.

Sorcerers nova. Warlocks actually do about the same, but sustained longer, with fewer options and fewer leveled spell options and slots.

My players have made excellent use of the sorcerers, and the damage is right on comparable across an adventuring day - and few combats from published last even 3 rounds.

Mind you, I've only run for players with characters up to 8th - but the Sorcerer is comparable in damage output, plus has flexibility of damage type.

And not all Warlocks go the Agonizing Blast route.

Remove ads