• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sorcerers and Versatility

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Twinned, quickened, or maximized...

Twinned: two tagets for that 1d10, which is 2d10 at level 5, 3d10 at level 11, and 4d10 at level 17.

Quickened: becomes bonus action, and a standard action can still be used to cast a cantrip... so, do it again.

maximized: reroll Cha Mod (min 1) damage dice... Essentially, advantage for damage.
Wait! So you're saying that when the sorcerer spends resources that LITERALLY cost them spell slots for a single rounds' attack, they can deal more damage than baseline weapon/cantrip attacks? AMAZING! I don't believe there's actually a full caster for which this doesn't hold true.

And not all Warlocks go the Agonizing Blast route.
As not all sorcerers take damaging cantrips or Twin/Quicken/Empower metamagic. Presumably you had -some- point in mind here.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
As not all sorcerers take damaging cantrips or Twin/Quicken/Empower metamagic. Presumably you had -some- point in mind here.
I've seen Warlocks without the agonizing - I've NOT seen a sorcerer without one of the three that up the output. But that's partially because of the way Sorcerers play.

Essentially, you've been spouting that they're the top damage and using a specific built that's fairly narrow - and ignoring that the comparison target has similar builds.

Sorcerers have the same base damage for their peak cantrips, and have very similar ability to use class abilities to actually do slightly more damage that the specialized damage producer warlocks... for a few rounds.

It would be like for Chevrolets using only the Camaro, and then comparing it to the Ford Crown Vic... rather than to the Mustang. When both Ford and Chevy have a variety of builds.

The shortness of many combats makes it also much less the long term cantrip race (which warlocks can beat out sorcerers at); in the short run, the typical 2-4 round fights I've been having happen (with Hard or Deadly difficulty, even)...

EG: my sunday game 6 PC's Levels 4/4/4/4/4/3 vs Spectator and 10 skeletons, with two of the skels upped by chainmail and longbows, one being a +1. And resistance to normal missiles on the magic items. (700+(10x50))*2.5 (due to large party) =1200x2.5= 3000 Difficulty value... 2400 is the floor of deadly. The whole thing took 7 rounds. (3 hours to play it out, but only 7 rounds...)

slightlyprime

First Post
wild magic sorcerer greater than any wizard as you can turn into a sheep meaning noone wil want to attack you and if they do you turn back to you, you can become blue which is epic, beard full of feathers could be just the solutionto the problem, you can become the shortest or tallest player just imagine that you have a halfling that kept growing taller due to wild magic and was taller than the goliath, reincarnation if you diein thenext minute or healing self no wizard can do that, then you have fun things like fireblling yourself and actually hurting enemies. ohthey also have advantage through tides of chaos whichis useful i guess. though my point is a sorcerer is more fun thana wizard in my opinion due to wild magic option which is mostly beneficial.
I feel 15 spells are fine, especially if you are clever with how you use spells, enlarge reduce is the best spell reduce door size makes it knock, be light enough race so whenyou reduce yourself you can use mage hand to fly, sure a wizard can do this though a sorcer can alsoburn the wizards spellbook.
wizards are more powerful in general, though sorcereris more fun.
oh also how do you stop a wizard, destroy spell book, blindfold them, cut out tongue, cut off hands. sorcer can haveno hands and no tongue and just use subtle spell from metamagic.
sorceror is awesomer due to thematic fluff and they are not reliant on spellbook.

there are only two things that anoy me about sorcerer, they don't automatically jut use the spell point variant from the dmg instead of spell slots and they are reliant on an arcane focus or component pouch even though they have magic in their blood.
other than that sorceror is sweet. sorry for poor editing

Remove ads