Special Conversion Thread: Aboleths

Shade

Monster Junkie
Back to enslave for a moment: despite being weaker psionically, the saltwater aboleth has better enslavement. It shouldn't be broken until the victim moves 5 miles away, and it should be 6/day instead of 3/day. That's the difference in the older versions.

Will fix.

The regular aboleth doesn't have telepathy, so I don't think the psionically weaker saltwater one should have it either.

Yeah, but they added ESP for the saltwater, which translates to telepathy and/or detect thoughts in 3e. Also, the psionic aboleth has mindlike, which confers telepathy as part of its powers.

Let's give them also Swim (seems logical, right?). Other than that, maybe Spellcraft or Psicraft (for the underbar). Autohypnosis or an additional Knowledge also seem like good choices.

Those are good sugggestions.

Perhaps Improved Initiative for the last feat?

That'll work.

I guess any aquatic if we can't specify saltwater. ;)

If the name doesn't hammer that point home, the flavor text should! :lol:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Umm, I think it's ok without autohypnosis ranks (though it does have a synergy bonus from Concentration).

CR 8 sounds ok to me.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I think pilfering them all from Swim is our best bet. It can take 10. It has a +8 racial bonus. It has a Str modifier of +8. I don't think there's going to be much in the deep ocean a swim check of 26 won't be able to handle (except maybe a whirlpool or something like that).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's fine. I suggested Swim above, but I'm almost thinking that we should take those
ranks for a second Knowledge skill in the non-psionic version. After all, they are supposed to be repositories of ancient knowledge and all that.

Remove ads