Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, I like the acid damage on the slam attack, but I think maybe the acid damage to equipment is a little much for 1HD. What do you think?

Bioluminescence (Ex): A giant wriggly gives off light equal to a torch.

I dropped the suppression bit because it's mindless.

Big Mac

Explorer
Shade said:
By request, this special conversion thread will attempt to finish off the remaining oozes.

Here are the remaining creatures Echohawk has identified as being possible oozes:

• Silatic, Gold; Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix II
  • Silatic, Iron; Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix II
  • Silatic, Platinum; Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendix II

I've let the SJML know about your conversion project, so hopefully you will get some help with these three monsters. And hopefully BtM can get a full set of SJ monsters! My SJ Appendix II is up in the loft at the moment, but I'll go hunt for a ladder and check out the three Silatics.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Hmm, I like the acid damage on the slam attack, but I think maybe the acid damage to equipment is a little much for 1HD. What do you think?

It is high, but it fits the acid format of the other oozes. Basically, the acid damage to objects equals the save DC of the acid ability. We could limit it to organic material, thus preventing metal weapons and armor from being damaged. Alternatively, we could just have it deal acid damage to living creatures, and be harmless to objects. Thoughts?

freyar

Hmmm, let's limit it to organic material. That will still be some threat to equipment of low-level characters but not overwhelming.

freyar

Looks good.

Organization: Solitary or Clump (2-10)
CR: 1
Advancement: 2-3 HD (Medium), 4-5 HD (Large)

How's that?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Since these things are usually found in pipes and sewers amid magical runoff, and since oozes need to breathe, should we make them amphibious and give them a slow swim speed?

Big Mac

Explorer
Shade said:
It is high, but it fits the acid format of the other oozes. Basically, the acid damage to objects equals the save DC of the acid ability. We could limit it to organic material, thus preventing metal weapons and armor from being damaged. Alternatively, we could just have it deal acid damage to living creatures, and be harmless to objects. Thoughts?

I actually just read up on the three types of Silatics and they work in the opposite way to what you are suggesting for this creature. They excrete a liquid that is harmless to organic beings but disolves metal. (Each Silactic is a metal eating creature, so couldn't get the same changes you are proposing for this creature.)

Shade said:
Since these things are usually found in pipes and sewers amid magical runoff, and since oozes need to breathe, should we make them amphibious and give them a slow swim speed?

Do all oozes need to breath? Because Silactics seem to like to hang around in "uninhabitable places".

Does it matter if some of these creatures don't follow the pattern of the others?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Big Mac said:
Do all oozes need to breath? Because Silactics seem to like to hang around in "uninhabitable places".

By the base creature type, yes, but...

Big Mac said:
Does it matter if some of these creatures don't follow the pattern of the others?

...it's easy enough to make exceptions with a short special ability or even flavor text. ;)

Remove ads