Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The ratwere is fine, please post the stats!

Bestiary of the Realms is a fan conversion, true, but the "fans" in question (Eric Boyd and Thomas Costa) have both written FR books for WotC. I don't feel a pressing need to convert things they've done and will happily save those for later until after we've done the truly unconverted beasties. OTOH, [MENTION=9849]Echohawk[/MENTION] probably wants to know about the critters he's missed.

Cleon

Legend
The ratwere is fine, please post the stats!

Bestiary of the Realms is a fan conversion, true, but the "fans" in question (Eric Boyd and Thomas Costa) have both written FR books for WotC. I don't feel a pressing need to convert things they've done and will happily save those for later until after we've done the truly unconverted beasties. OTOH, @Echohawk probably wants to know about the critters he's missed.

Yeah, I'd happily leave the Bestiary of the Realms ones for last. The main reason I'd fancy eventually doing our own conversion of them is that the Bestiary doesn't include any sample creatures, so it's not that "DM ready". Plus, it's D&D 3.0 of course, which uses a substantially different Lycanthrope template to 3.5.

The Bestiary doesn't have the FR7 "Weredragon", so we could consider that on the assumption that it's different from the Song Dragon. If we add the Catwere, Werecobra and Weregorilla from Children of the Night that's still only four monsters, not a "full batch". I suppose there are a few more Mystaran/BECMI "lycanthropes", like the Devil Swine.

Speaking of Children of the Night, there are some unique Golems in Children of the Night: The Created which would make interesting conversions. The "Coin Golem" is my favorite.

Hmm, now I'm thinking that once we finish the current Shapechangers batch we could aim to do a batch of Ravenloft creatures, combining the Shapechangers and Golems with a few odds-and-ends.

That's a long ways off, though, we'd better concentrate on finishing what we've got first.

Cleon

Legend
Anyhow, on with the "Ratwere". There are multiple versions of the BECMI Wererat, including a "Greater Wererat" we'll be converting next.

Here's the Rules Cyclopedia stats for a standard Wererat, also known as the "Normal Wererat" or "Lesser Wererat":

Rules Cyclopedia (1991) said:
Lycanthrope - Wererat*
Armor Class: 7 (9) †
Hit Dice: 3*(M)
Move: 120’ (40’)
Attacks: 1 bite or weapon
Damage: 1d4 or by weapon
No. Appearing: 1d8 (2d8)
Save As: F3
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: C
Intelligence: 10
Alignment: Chaotic
XP Value: 50
† The number in parentheses is the creature’s armor class when in human form.

Wererat: Wererats are different from most lycanthropes because the were-animal form is their natural form, and human form is the shape they assume. They are intelligent, can speak Common in either form, and can use any weapon. A wererat usually prefers to use a man-sized rat form, but can become a full-sized human. Wererats are sneaky and often set ambushes, surprising on a roll of 1-4 (on 1d6). They summon giant rats to help them in battle. Only a wererat’s bite causes lycanthropy.

In addition, the Rules Cyclopedia has the following general rules for Lycanthropes:

Rules Cyclopedia (1991) said:
Monster Type: Monster, Enchanted (Common).

Lycanthropes are humans who can change into beasts (or in the case of wererats, beasts who can change into humans). They normally wear no armor, since it would interfere with their shapechanging. Any lycanthrope can summon 1d2 normal animals of its type: werebears can summon normal bears, werewolves can summon normal wolves, and so forth. Summoned animals will arrive in 1d4 rounds.

Some animals (such as horses) do not like the smell of lycanthropes and will react with fear. If a lycanthrope is hit by wolfsbane, it must make a saving throw vs. poison or run away in fear. The sprig of wolfsbane must be swung or thrown as a weapon, using normal combat procedures. A lycanthrope returns to its “normal” form when killed.

Animal Form: In animal form, a lycanthrope can be harmed only by magical weapons, silvered weapons, or spells. The lycanthrope cannot speak normal languages, though it can speak with normal animals of its weretype.

Human Form: In human form, a lycanthrope often looks somewhat like its wereform. Wererats have longer noses, werebears are hairy, werebats have long arms, werefoxes are sly and nimble, and so forth. In this form, they can be attacked with normal weapons, and they may speak any known languages.

Lycanthropy: Lycanthropy is a disease. Any human character who loses more than half of his hit points in battle with a lycanthrope becomes a lycanthrope of the same type in 2d12 days. The disease kills demihumans. The victim begins to show signs of the disease in half that time. The condition can be cured only by a cleric of 11th level or greater, who will do so for a suitable price or service. Any character who becomes a full lycanthrope will become an NPC, to be run by the DM only.

The above indicates Lesser Wererats only have two forms, but according to PC4 - Night Howlers they also have a Hybrid "Man-Rat" Form, although this is more animal-like than a normal wererat's "Rat-Man" form.

Night Howlers (1991) said:
The Man-Rat
In addition to their human and giant rat forms, newly-infected lesser wererats gain an intermediate form much like the beast-man forms of other lycanthropes. This “man-rat” form has the head and body of a man-sized rat, with the ability to stand upright and use its front paws like hands (with Dexterity penalized by –2 for tasks involving manual dexterity). Its ability scores are based on the wererat’s normal (rat) form.

A man-rat can use any weapon a human fighter can use, but attacks as a monster of his current HD (not as a human). Man-rats are unable to cast spells, but can use any general skills they know in rat or human form. Lesser wererats never master the true beast-man form.

PC4 also makes clear that a human who is bitten by one of these Wererats becomes a "Greater Wererat", not a regular one, who eventually gains the ability to become immune to normal weapons while in human form for short periods (e.g. silver or magic required to hit when untransformed).

Finally, the BECMI adventure "The Wererats of Relfren" from Dungeon #14 says Wererats can only turn Giant Rats into Lesser Wererats. Their bite simply kills normal-sized rats. In 3E that's Dire Rats, of course.

Note that this form of Lycanthropy only turns humans into a lycanthropes and kills other humanoid species. I fancy keeping that bit just to increase its distinctiveness from standard lycanthropy. I'm not quite decided how it should affect half-elves and half-orcs. The RAW "For all effects related to race, a half-X is considered an X" that both races have suggests they should die to, but I quite like the idea of a Greater Wererat Half-Orc.

freyar

Yes, let's finish these, then consider if the weredragon is different than the song dragon (I have a vague feeling they are supposed to be the same), and then look at the others.

Anyway, on to the ratwere. I guess we should give them a hybrid form. I'm not entirely sure what to do about the lycanthropy; since these transferred standard lycanthropy in 1e, I think they probably ought to now also. But I'm intrigued by the "man-sized" rat form, which is larger than a dire rat. I think we should do something with that.

Cleon

Legend
Yes, let's finish these, then consider if the weredragon is different than the song dragon (I have a vague feeling they are supposed to be the same), and then look at the others.

Let's leave fussing about that for later, we've got plenty of Lycos for the time being.

Anyway, on to the ratwere. I guess we should give them a hybrid form. I'm not entirely sure what to do about the lycanthropy; since these transferred standard lycanthropy in 1e, I think they probably ought to now also. But I'm intrigued by the "man-sized" rat form, which is larger than a dire rat. I think we should do something with that.

The original monster has a hybrid form, the "Man-Rat", it's just looks more ratlike than manlike.

As for it being Man-Sized, remember that Dire Rats advance to being Medium size. I was thinking we just base our Ratwere's stats on a Dire Rat that's advanced to Medium sized.

Comparing the two:

Normal Dire Rat: Small, Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Medium Dire Rat: Medium, Str 14, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
SRD Wererat (Rat/Hybrid Form): Str 13, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8

What I'd do is make it a 3 HD Magical Beast with Dex 17 and Con 16, that way its BAB (+3), average hit points (25), Fort (+6) and Ref (+6) saves are a close match to a Dire Rat that's advanced to 4 HD and become Medium-sized (BAB +3, 26 hp, Fort +6, Ref +6).

I've already whipped up a rough draft based on that assumption, which also gives it Iron Will as a bonus feat like standard Lycanthropes get, mainly so it has a +6 in its Will save too. Just 'cause having saves of +6, +6, +6 seems appropriate for a Chaotic Evil nasty. :devil:

I also fancied giving them a standard Rat's racial bonuses to skills rather than a Dire Rats, since they're better.

There's also the question of what weapons they're proficient in - even the "Lesser Wererats" that used to be dumb giant rats can use swords and daggers for some reason, so I guess they'll need to be proficient in those at least.

Anyhow, I'll post my Homebrew rough draft to see what you think.

Cleon

Legend
Ratwere Working Draft

Ratwere
Medium Magical Beast (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 3d10+9 (25 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3 plus ratwere plague);
Hybrid-form: Shortsword +6 melee (1d6+2/19-20), or bite +6 melee (1d6+2 plus ratwere plague), or dagger +6 melee/ranged (1d4+2/19-20)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3 plus ratwere plague);
Hybrid-form: Shortsword +6 melee (1d6+2/19-20) and bite +1 melee (1d6+1 plus ratwere plague), or dagger +6 melee (1d4+2/19-20) and bite +1 melee (1d6+1 plus ratwere plague)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ratwere plague, summon rats
Special Qualities: Alternate form, dire, damage reduction 10/magic or silver, low-light vision, scent, speak with rats
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +11, Hide +9, Listen +5, Move Silently +5, Spot +5, Swim +11
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Iron Will (B), Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Urban and underground
Organization: Solitary, family (2-5), pack (6-24) or troupe (2-24 plus 2-40 dire rats and rat swarms)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 4-9 HD (Medium) or by character class
Level Adjustment: +3

Ratwere, Human Form
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+3 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: Shortsword +6 melee (1d6+2/19-20), or dagger +6 melee/ranged (1d4+2/19-20)
Full Attack: Shortsword +6 melee (1d6+2/19-20), or dagger +6 melee/ranged (1d4+2/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Summon rats
Special Qualities: Alternate form, dire, low-light vision, scent, speak with rats
Skills: Balance +3, Climb +11, Hide +9, Listen +5, Move Silently +5, Spot +5, Swim +11

A giant rat nearly as big as a man. Its form flows and the "rat" develops disturbingly human-shaped limbs, allowing it to stand on two legs and wield weapons in its furry hands.

Ratweres are dire rats infected with a form of lycanthropy that enables them to assume a human or half-human form. This disease, the "ratwere plague", is fatal to all living creatures except for dire rats and humans.

Ratweres live in places were both rats and humans can be found – sewers, rubbish heaps and the like. Their lives are a constant struggle for survival with frequent fights over resources and authority. A ratwere's lair normally contains ordinary rats and dire rats, for ratweres have the power to summon and control such vermin. Ratweres view normal rats as disposable cannon fodder and emergency rations. They show little more consideration to their own kind, backstabbing rivals and cannibalizing the sick or elderly. Humanoid flesh is a prized delicacy, but ratweres are cautious enough to mostly prey on people unlikely to be missed.

A typical ratwere weighs about 120 pounds and is 5 or 5 feet long in its natural giant rat form, or a little over 5 feet tall in human or hybrid form.

Ratweres speak the language of whatever humans they live nearest to, usually Common.

Combat
Ratweres prefer ambushes. They usually summon rats to soften up or distract their enemies. Most ratweres value their own lives far more highly than their allies, so rarely risk themselves to aid each other. A ratwere will often flee if injured.

Alternate Form (Ex): Natural form is a medium sized dire rat. Can take on form of a unique human or a rat-man hybrid.

Summon Rats (Su): Once per day, as a standard action, a ratwere can call forth 1 rat swarm or a pack of 1d6+1 dire rats. These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the ratwere for up to 1 hour.

Dire: A ratwere is considered to be a dire animal and has all good saves.

Ratwere Plague (Su): Supernatural disease—slam, Fortitude DC 15, incubation period 1 minute; damage 1d6 Wis plus being sickened. The sickened condition last as long as the victim suffers Wisdom damage from this disease.

Unlike normal diseases, ratwere plague continues until the victim reaches Wisdom 0 (and is transformed into a lycanthrope or dies) or is cured by remove disease or similar magic.

Ratwere plague is a powerful curse, not a natural disease. A character attempting to cast any conjuration (healing) spell to remove the ratwere plague, or heal the Wisdom damage it causes, must succeed on a DC 20 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the afflicted character.

Afflicted humans reduced to 0 Wisdom transform into greater wererats, afflicted dire rats reduced to 0 Wis transform into ratweres, and other creatures reduced to 0 Wisdom die.

Speak With Rats (Su): A ratwere can communicate with rats and dire rats as if it had a permanent speak with animals spell. It can also use this ability to speak with wererats and other ratweres using this ability, which sounds like rodent squeaks and chirps.

Skills: Ratweres have a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Swim checks. Ratweres can use their Dexterity modifier or their Strength modifier for Climb and Swim checks, whichever is better.

In rat or hybrid-form, a ratwere gains a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb and Swim checks, even if rushed or threatened. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Originally appeared in Dungeon Magazine #14 (1988).

Skill Ranks: Hide 6, Listen 2, Move Silently 2, and Spot 2.

Last edited:

freyar

I like that well enough, but it would be nice if there were omissions or additions to the special abilities to distinguish them from wererats a bit more. I'm not seeing much to work with in the original monster, though. We could mess around with the plague/curse of lycanthropy, I guess, but I'm not sure I like killing non-human humanoids necessarily.

Cleon

Legend
I like that well enough, but it would be nice if there were omissions or additions to the special abilities to distinguish them from wererats a bit more. I'm not seeing much to work with in the original monster, though.

Well they have one additional power - the ability to summon rats - which includes both Dire Rats and Rat Swarms in 3E terms.

I'd also think it's reasonable to add the ability to control rats (charm or dominate) to that list.

Further, at least in some BECMI versions, their damage reduction works in humanoid form as well as animal/hybrid form.

We could mess around with the plague/curse of lycanthropy, I guess, but I'm not sure I like killing non-human humanoids necessarily.

Actually, that's rule applies to all standard lycanthropes in BECMI D&D - the were-disease is nasty is that ruleset. If a demi-human gets bitten and fails their save they will invariably die in 2d12 days unless they get it cured by a cleric of at least 11th level.

I'd rather keep the lethality, to be honest, although I was thinking we should probably soften it slightly. Maybe allow a level check for a cure disease or remove curse to treat it, and allow a break enchantment or heal spell to automatically cure it?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Incidentally, I've discovered there are a few Lycanthropes from the Ravenloft supplement Children of the Night: Werebeasts that aren't in Echohawk's list, together with some other lycanthropes that don't appear to have official conversions, namely:

Catwere, Weredog, Werecobra, Weredolphin, Weredragon, Weregorilla, Weremole, Wereowl, Werepanther, Werespider.

[MENTION=9849]Echohawk[/MENTION] probably wants to know about the critters he's missed.

Thanks for the nudge. I originally excluded the creatures in CotN: Werebeasts from the index because they are all unique creatures rather than generic lycanthropes, but I've make a note to add them in the next index update.

Remove ads