Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

Cleon

Legend
Like the choker? That'll work for me, too.

Yes, I was thinking:

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a greater seawolf deals 2d3+6 damage if in human form or 2d6+9 damage if in seawolf form. Greater seawolves always seize their victims by the throat, so a creature in the seawolf's grasp cannot breathe, speak or cast spells with verbal components on any round the seawolf uses its constrict attack. The victim may suffocate if they are constricted for long enough.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a greater seawolf must hit an opponent with either it's seawolf form's bite attack or its humanoid form's slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

I'm wondering whether to give the human form a nonlethal unarmed strike instead of a slam attack, then make the human-form constriction nonlethal as well. It seems more appropriate.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, it automatically already has a nonlethal unarmed strike. But we could mention that under constrict. Sure, sounds interesting.

Cleon

Legend
Well, it automatically already has a nonlethal unarmed strike. But we could mention that under constrict. Sure, sounds interesting.

How about:

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a greater seawolf deals 2d3+6 nonlethal damage if in human form or 2d6+9 damage if in seawolf form. Greater seawolves always seize their victims by the throat, so a creature in the seawolf's grasp cannot breathe, speak or cast spells with verbal components on any round the seawolf uses its constrict attack.

The victim will suffocate to death if the greater seawolf constricts them for long enough. Any breathing creature rendered unconscious by this attack must make Constitution checks every round for as long as the constriction continues (DC 10, +1 for each previous success). A victim who fails one of these Constitution checks drops to -1 hit points and is dying, if the victim fails a second check they die from suffocation.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a greater seawolf must hit an opponent with either it's seawolf form's bite attack or its humanoid form's unarmed strike attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Cleon

Legend
Looks good! Do they need more special attacks?

Updating the Greater Seawolf Working Draft.

I'm OK with the current selection, so if you're OK with the special abilities as they are we can move on to deciding on the DR, skills, and feats.

I suppose we could give it some ability to boss around regular seawolves, but their isn't any mention of such an ability in the original monster.

Cleon

Legend
No, let's move on. DR 10 would seem about right given the HD.

Yes, I was thinking of DR 10, since there's pretty similar to True Lycanthropes.

Okay, it's got 2 extra feats and 10 more skill points than a Stormwrack seawolf.

I'm thinking Bluff 1, Disguise 1, Hide 2, Listen 2, Move Silently 2, Spot 2 for the Skills.

Perhaps Improved Critical (bite) and Combat Reflexes for the feats?

Come to think of it, can they make AoO with their Unarmed Strikes? Unarmed characters usually can't unless they're monks or have Improved Unarmed Strike.

Do we want to give them Improved Unarmed Strike to circumvent that limit? Maybe allow make it a bonus feat since it seems to be their normal modus operandi?

Remove ads