Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

Cleon

Legend
Weapon Focus (bite) and Stealthy work for me.

I like those org lines.

Updating Greater Wererat Working Draft.

Tactics: Greater wererats prefer to fight in hybrid form, biting opportunistically.

Let's see...

How's this?

Greater wererats use their animal or human forms to spy on enemies and set up ambushes, but favor their hybrid form for fighting. Given time, they use summon rodents to call rat allies to send into combat. Most greater wererats treat their rodent and ratwere underlings as disposable chattels, and are unlikely to risk their own skin to protect them.

I have to admit I don't have much for these. They're pretty simple.

Yes, we don't need much for the background text.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's a bit better for tactics!

Background: Greater wererats are close cousins of the common wererat and the ratwere but with greater strength and power. While they shun the common wererat, greater wererats often rise to leadership among colonies of ratweres, whom they look down upon as little better than slaves.

???

Cleon

Legend
That's a bit better for tactics!

Background: Greater wererats are close cousins of the common wererat and the ratwere but with greater strength and power. While they shun the common wererat, greater wererats often rise to leadership among colonies of ratweres, whom they look down upon as little better than slaves.

???

Hmm, I think it makes sense to mention their strain of lycanthropy (the ratwere one) only transforms dire rats and humans and is lethal to other creatures.

Let me think about it for a bit...

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Background: Greater wererats are close cousins of the common wererat and the ratwere but with greater strength and power. While they shun the common wererat, greater wererats often rise to leadership among colonies of ratweres, whom they look down upon as little better than slaves. They are infected with a potent form of lycanthropy, the ratwere plague, which kills most creatures and transforms humans and dire rats into lycanthropes.

Cleon

Legend
Background: Greater wererats are close cousins of the common wererat and the ratwere but with greater strength and power. While they shun the common wererat, greater wererats often rise to leadership among colonies of ratweres, whom they look down upon as little better than slaves. They are infected with a potent form of lycanthropy, the ratwere plague, which kills most creatures and transforms humans and dire rats into lycanthropes.

I think we can do without the "but with greater strength and power" in the first sentence.

The bit about the colonies could do with a touch of elaboration, and I think it belongs at the end instead of the sentence about the ratwere plague.

How's this?

Greater wererats are close kin to common wererats and ratweres. They are infected with a potent form of lycanthropy, the ratwere plague, which transforms humans and dire rats into lycanthropes and is fatal to most other creatures. While they shun the common wererat, greater wererats often rule colonies of ratweres, rats and dire rats. Greater wererats casually devour their rodent minions whenever food runs short, and even a gifted ratwere is looked down upon as little better than a slave.

Cleon

Legend
That looks good to me.

I think they're all done after an update!

I modified the standard "The were*** presented here" sentence to remove the reference to "natural lycanthrope".

It was also missing an accreditation, so I used Dungeon #88, since The Wererats of Relfen adventure in that issue was the earliest source I could find that used the name "Greater Wererats" for the human-type BECMI wererat.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Wererat Lord Original Stats

Wererat Lord
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ORGANIZATION: Pack
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Nocturnal
DIET: Scavenger
INTELLIGENCE: High to genius (13–18)
TREASURE: C, I
ALIGNMENT: CE
NO. APPEARING: 4-24
ARMOR CLASS: 6 or better
MOVEMENT: 12
HIT DICE: 3+1 or better
THAC0: Varies
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: By weapon
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Surprise
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Hit only by silver or +1 or better weapons
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: S-M (3’–6’)
MORALE: Elite (13–14)
XP VALUE: varies

Wererat lords are the aristocracy of their genotype and as such are capable of much more than ordinary lycanthropes. They generally live longer than others of their genotype who regard them as something near divine. Some wererat lords live as long as 200 years. Other lycanthrope lords are certain to exist, but their discovery has yet to be recorded.

In appearance, the wererat lord is pretty indistinguishable from ordinary wererats.

Combat: Wererats lords differ from normal wererats in one major respect: they have no upper limit to class or Hit Dice level (except that normally dictated by rare and/or class). Most wererat lords are thieves (75%) and on occasion mages (mage 10%. Thief/mage 5%). Their Hit Dice and class level advance at the same rate, thus a 16th-level human wererat lord thief would attack as a 16th-level rogue in human form and as a 16 HD monster in man-rat form.

As with their mundane cousins, wererat lords prefer cold steel in combat to tooth and claw. Even better, they prefer to use missile weapons from a safe place, or else set traps and ambushes.

Wererat lords infect their victims with the lycanthropic virus in the same way that ordinary wererats do. However infected victims of the lords are treated in the same way as ordinary lycanthropes; they cannot advance in level as the lords do. Wererat lords are born, not made, and must be sired by two wererat lords. The chance of being infected with the lycanthropic virus is much higher than normal, being 2% chance per hp damage inflicted by the lord.

Wererat lords are usually lead by a clan leader who as head of his clan is heir to several abilities. A clan leader can summon a pack of giant rats and can control all of the common wererats infected by him. This control is an ability to trigger the infected wererats transformation into their manrat form, but they must be able to see him to achieve this.

Habitat/Society: Wererats lords live in closely knit packs trusting no one but their own immediate clan. Clan family members may conspire against each other, but they are always united against any outside enemies.

Wererat lords are attracted to cities where they can thieve and murder in comfort. They generally try to surround themselves with devoted followers such as ordinary wererats or infected victims. These followers are rarely selected for their intelligence, as they are merely expendable pawns to do the lords’ dirty work. Once a city has yielded up its treasures, or becomes too hot to hold them, the wererat lords move on to the next town.

Ecology: Wererat lords are parasites on the parasites. Not only do they feed off humankind and steal their riches, they use their own common kind to do so. Like cuckoos, they will infest the lair of a clan of wererats or a thieves guild to provide themselves with a comfortable nest to live in. While initially beneficial, this usually spells doom for the hosts in question; the lords are only interested in themselves and think nothing of sacrificing their followers to protect their own miserable hides.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases