• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Tasked Genies

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm tempted to give 'em doglike heads and scent, along with the usual dog racial bonus when tracking by scent. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Some of the other genies have non-humanoid appearances (winemaker immediately springs to mind).

That said, I can live without it.

Yes, but Winemaker Genie are just plain goofy looking.

That said, I wouldn't mind giving them minor canine features, but not the whole dog-men deal.

How's this for an idea. In some folklore, Ghula had asses' feet when disguised as humans. How about the Huntsmen Genie have feet (and maybe legs) like a greyhound? Maybe they have the pointed ears of a hound to, so they look kind of like "greyhound satyrs".

Also, we could give them the "Infallible Tracking" vision I suggested for the Janni Greyhound - which raises the disturbing implication of a blood relationship between the two monsters...

Shade

Monster Junkie
How's this for an idea. In some folklore, Ghula had asses' feet when disguised as humans. How about the Huntsmen Genie have feet (and maybe legs) like a greyhound? Maybe they have the pointed ears of a hound to, so they look kind of like "greyhound satyrs".

Also, we could give them the "Infallible Tracking" vision I suggested for the Janni Greyhound - which raises the disturbing implication of a blood relationship between the two monsters...

Fun ideas! Let's use 'em.

Cleon

Legend
Fun ideas! Let's use 'em.

Fine!

What else for their special abilities. We'll need some appropriate SLAs and we've got Tireless Pursuit to work out.

How's this:

Tireless Pursuit (Su): Once a week, a hunter genie can move at a hustle for up to 8 hours without taking nonlethal damage or suffering fatigue. Furthermore, a hunter genie using tireless pursuit has no penalty on Survival checks to follow tracks when moving at up to twice its normal speed (See Track).

Cleon

Legend
This all looks good to me.

Okay, shall we talk Spell-Like Abilities then?

I'm thinking their SLAs should be somewhere around a Jann's as far as power goes, but the spells themselves may resemble a Herdsman Tasked Genie:

Herdsman Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—flame blade, phantom steed, remove fear, unseen servant. Caster level 9th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Jann Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day—invisibility (self only), speak with animals. Caster level 12th. Once per day a janni can create food and water (caster level 7th) and can use ethereal jaunt (caster level 12th) for 1 hour. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

The Herdsman's flame blade and the Jann's invisibility (self only) and speak with animals seem good fits. We can add a couple more "Hunter specific" ones. A locate creature would be an obvious pick. How about snare and hide from animal?

Hmm, that's too many - the Jann and Herdsman only have 4 SLAs. I'll cut the flame blade, which gives us something like this:

Hunter Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day—hide from animals, snare, speak with animals (caster level 9th). Once per day a shikari genie can turn invisible (caster level 12th) and use locate creature (caster level 12th) for 4 hours. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Remove ads