D&D 5E Specific overrides general: a general rule, or a specific rule?

Grammarsalad

Explorer
The rule that specific rules override general rules seems to have the form of a general rule; that is that it should be applied generally, in all relevant situations. However, if it is a general rule that specific rules should override general rules, then what of this general rule itself? It seems that if this rule should be generally applied, then it should be applied to itself. As such, there should be instances where the general overrides the specific.

Let us instead assume that this is a specific rule; that is, that it only applies in certain situations. Well, if it only applies in certain situations, then there are some situations where it doesn't apply. That is, again, that there should be some situations where general rules override specific rules.

Edit: clarity and smily

Edit2: if this is true, then the rule that the specific overrides the general means that the specific overrides the general, and that the general overrides the specific, and (eg) the general overrides the specific can be interpreted as 'it is not the case that the specific overrides the general' then the rule is meaningless, meaning (x and -x).

:)

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
If there is a specific rule that states that a particular general rule overrides a particular specific rule in a specific situation, then yes, I believe that that rule would take precedent over the general rule that specific rules generally trump general rules, specifically.

Astrosicebear

First Post
tumblr_lx8m1oBByW1r2506z.png

Astrosicebear

First Post
Please fill out the following PointlessGrievance forms in triplicate. Make sure to provide adequate identification, using at least three proper forms of identification. Proper forms of identification are listed in IdenityValidationForms section 3a. which can be sent once proper identification is provided. Be sure to mail a self-addressed stamped envelope with future postage accounted for, as turn around times are 6-8 months.

mips42

Adventurer
Be careful, you're dangerously close to black=white and we wouldn't want you getting trampled at a zebra crossing.

Grammarsalad

Explorer
Be careful, you're dangerously close to black=white and we wouldn't want you getting trampled at a zebra crossing.
You have me confused with the rule, my friend! My logic is impeccable; the rule is incoherent.

But it is interesting that it still "works", isn't it? And it is interesting that is 'seems' plausible when in fact it isn't.

Remove ads