• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Speculation on the art in the new core books

Hussar

Legend
YEah, I was going to say. Until I scrolled down and saw no shoes - I honestly thought that was a gnome. Nothing, other than bare feet, says halfling about this image.

Which, really, has always been the problem with halflings. In the art, they are so indistinguishable from anything else. It's really hard to give them a distinct look.

This sassy boy is the exception to 5E halfling art. He can stay. The rest get banished!
image-asset.jpeg
He looks like a drunken Scottsman, so obviously a Dwarf.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Here are paleontological uses of AI imaging to reconstruct skeletal remains of the reallife "hobbit", Homo floresiensis. They are about a meter tall. Note the large hands and feet. There is still debate about how humanlike or bonobo-chimpanzee-like the face should be, and I am skeptical about the accuracy of AI at this point in time. But for fantasy purposes, something like these seem realistic for a Halfling species.

0_Image.jpg

2_Image.jpg
What’s up with the late eighties glam metal look?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
What’s up with the late eighties glam metal look?
AI.

The first "hobbit" floresiensis, has hints of Gandalf?

Also, there seems disagreement whether there should be facial hair or fur. Sometimes a compromise is to have a beard of fur with long head hair, but this seems surprising.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I honestly don't get the (non-lawyerly) resistance to hobbit-style halflings. Are there a lot of people who want to play halflings who are opposed to them looking hobbity? (Your PC doesn't have to behave like a Bracegirdle or any other fuddy-duddy.)

It makes me wonder if this is another situation like the intense proponents of beards on dwarf women ... who never play any sort of dwarf, male or female, and never bring them up in their games.

At a certain point, who are you trying to please?

Stormonu

Legend
I honestly don't get the (non-lawyerly) resistance to hobbit-style halflings. Are there a lot of people who want to play halflings who are opposed to them looking hobbity? (Your PC doesn't have to behave like a Bracegirdle or any other fuddy-duddy.)

It makes me wonder if this is another situation like the intense proponents of beards on dwarf women ... who never play any sort of dwarf, male or female, and never bring them up in their games.

At a certain point, who are you trying to please?
WotC's IP Lawyers.

Remove ads