D&D 5E Speculation - Potential Future Releases

Cadriel

First Post
As neither Pathfinder nor D&D has done a Feywild adventure, I'd love that so much. But won't happen as it‘s not possible to do as a revamp of a classic adventure.
The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga (both an artifact in the 1e DMG, a classic Dragon adventure, and a 2e adventure module) has a pretty good provenance, it relates to hags which got featured in Volo's Guide, and in 4e it was related directly to the Feywild. I think that's the "in" if they choose to do a Feywild adventure.

My specific guess is that the spring releases will continue to be the "non-Forgotten Realms" adventures, and this spring another setting will be visited. This is also how they release settings for the DM's Guild, so there is a good chance it will be something different from Greyhawk.

True. But then, it's just a guess.
It's a given they're going to do something with the Tomb of Horrors eventually.

The tricky thing is that's not much of a clue. The Tomb is 20-pages of adventure. Even if they expand the pages given by 50% that's still a tenth of the pages they need to fill a book. And it's at the end. What's going on before? What takes the characters from level 1 to Acererak killing levels (not that you'll *ever* be able to hit a level where you reasonably face a demilich in a fair fight in these modules).

The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga (both an artifact in the 1e DMG, a classic Dragon adventure, and a 2e adventure module) has a pretty good provenance, it relates to hags which got featured in Volo's Guide, and in 4e it was related directly to the Feywild. I think that's the "in" if they choose to do a Feywild adventure.
That would be a way to go full feywild while still updating a classic. Not quite what I'd like, as it seems more forced to be feywild than being a story you can only tell in the feywild, like something with fomarians or the Fey Courts

My specific guess is that the spring releases will continue to be the "non-Forgotten Realms" adventures, and this spring another setting will be visited. This is also how they release settings for the DM's Guild, so there is a good chance it will be something different from Greyhawk.
I think it's too early to early to look for patterns in their release schedule. So far there haven't been any.

The 2016 D&D Open featured the 'resurrection' of Hallaster. I get the feeling he's only just beginning..
Maybe.
I'm uncertain if the D&D team would leave a huge story point to a convention. Especially when they had to have been planning the major beats and story before said con.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I really want a Waterdeep + Undermountain sandbox.

But, not like they've done the past few editions. I want a true, almost obsessively detailed sandbox, with multitudinous sidequests, and an overarching "plot" that the players can interact with as much as they wish.

CapnZapp

Legend
There's references to pretty much all the settings dotted around the core rulebooks.

There's some nice stuff about the Wind Dukes and the Rod of Seven Parts in the MM, and also in the DMG. I wonder if we might get a Rod of 7 Parts adventure at some point.

The problem with the "clues in the Core Rulebooks" is that there's a reference to every adventure or setting somewhere. There's bits of lore teased every other monster entry. There's too many clues to narrow things down.
Do note that the OP did attempt to narrow things down - he specifically talks about "green boxes" only :)

delericho

Legend
It's a given they're going to do something with the Tomb of Horrors eventually.

The tricky thing is that's not much of a clue. The Tomb is 20-pages of adventure. Even if they expand the pages given by 50% that's still a tenth of the pages they need to fill a book. And it's at the end. What's going on before? What takes the characters from level 1 to Acererak killing levels (not that you'll *ever* be able to hit a level where you reasonably face a demilich in a fair fight in these modules).

Bear in mind that they've done a version of the Tomb in every edition of the game, mostly considerably expanded from the original. The 4e version, in particular, wasn't far from the length of a 4e storyline book.

Bear in mind that they've done a version of the Tomb in every edition of the game, mostly considerably expanded from the original. The 4e version, in particular, wasn't far from the length of a 4e storyline book.
At 160 pages, it's 60% of a 5e book.
But IIRC it was really four dungeons loosely connected together with level gaps in-between. The Drivethru page gives them as 10, 14, 17, and 22.

Even the 3e version was levels 13-16 (and also 160 pages).

Dunno what they'd do for a Tomb of Horrors that starts at level 5 and goes to level 10-14. Let alone fighting a CR 18 demilich in its lair at level 14.

I'm wondering if they do do a VGtM-type book for dragons that they will do a quick overview of the Dragonlance setting in it as well. It would thematically fit and kill two birds with one stone (and make the book useful on multiple fronts, which looks to be the way they are doing things for 5e)...

Remove ads