D&D 5E Speculation - Potential Future Releases

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, it seems to me that they may also have seeded future plot possibilities in Volos Guide: Hag stuff could toe into a fey adventure, Goblinoinda into some sort of horde war, Beholder section goes into the Xanathar Guild in some detail, Mindflayers seem ripe for a Gates of Firestorm peak re-do...

Specific general plots I can see, based on hints:

- Gates of Firestorm Peak revisit, focused on Mindflayers and such, maybe a write up of Cthulu and friends. The Gates of Firestorm Peak is mentioned at several points in the core books.

- March of the Modrons, hinted at pretty heavily and offers a chance to develop planar travel for use in game.

- Something with Genies, possibly in Al-Quadim.

- The Xanathar working to dominate Waterdeep, gives urban adventure and a megadungeon, call back to classic Eye of the Beholder games.

- Something Feyeild, probably Baba Yaga, that draws in the Fey Courts and such.

- War of the Host & Horde: Orcs and Hoblins throwdown, Gruimsh and Mabilguyot battle for the fate of the cosmos, or something like that.

- Ackerack doing...something.

- Isle of Despair, gets a lot of mention in the books.

- A big sandbox in the Serpant Hills Najara, mixing up old things lime Tomb of the Lizard King and the Dwellers in the Forbidden City.

- Saughin shenanigans, under the sea.

An underwater adventure seems like a really fun idea, but one imagines that you'd want to go for an island hopping vibe to vary it up. Slathrekel is meant to survive the events of STK, and we got some Kraken-themed goodness in Volo's, so perhaps that is a hint.

We must also surely be due a Moonshaes adventure, right? Weren't there loads of those in 2e? And the Moonshaes seems like a grand place to dance between Material and Feywild, possibly adding some Druidic and Ranger subclasses in the process.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Next book I reckon will be a campaign plus sourcebook for Undermountain that leads into a SCAG-style book for Sigil and the planes that opens up travel to other worlds where we'll see probably a Greyhawk campaign/sourcebook, Dark Sun campaign/sourcebook and Eberron campaign/sourcebook.

If I'm right, then everyone owes me $50. If I'm wrong, then forget I ever existed.

gyor

Legend
The next Adventure will likely be Tomb of Horrors in Chult. So the first part will be a Sandbox exploration of Chult and maybe some surrounding places and then the second part with be the Tomb of Horrors, FR style.

If its multiple Tombs then I could see the Eminence of Araunt being invovled as well.

Since Chult is invovled Yuan Ti will be as well, along with Artus and the Ring of Winter.

After that Undermountain timed to be released with the D&D movie also set in Undermountain expect movie tie ins.

If its not lame we might finally get a proper FRCG, I pray.

Then later The Book of Mechanics That Shall Not Be Named

Then an Update of Deserts of Desolation (this is just pure speculation on my part).

I really want a Waterdeep + Undermountain sandbox.

But, not like they've done the past few editions. I want a true, almost obsessively detailed sandbox, with multitudinous sidequests, and an overarching "plot" that the players can interact with as much as they wish.

Keep an eye on the DMsGuild and the announcements sub-forum on EnWorld. I'll be publishing an Undermountain sandbox much like you are talking about late next year. It's not like any UM product you've seen before that just details out a small part of the dungeon or only has a single quest line. Every room, every level, hundreds and hundred of room descriptions, encounters, NPC's, items.

You'll be able to use it for multiple campaigns, for just individual quests aimed for your party level, or able to start and end a PC's career (level 1 to 20) several times over.

It's the Undermountain I've always wanted, and I think it will be the one you are looking for too.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Keep an eye on the DMsGuild and the announcements sub-forum on EnWorld. I'll be publishing an Undermountain sandbox much like you are talking about late next year. It's not like any UM product you've seen before that just details out a small part of the dungeon or only has a single quest line. Every room, every level, hundreds and hundred of room descriptions, encounters, NPC's, items.

You'll be able to use it for multiple campaigns, for just individual quests aimed for your party level, or able to start and end a PC's career (level 1 to 20) several times over.

It's the Undermountain I've always wanted, and I think it will be the one you are looking for too.

Well, sign me the :):):):) up! Are you going to put the same amount of work into Waterdeep itself? I've been beginning to wonder if they're going to instead to Tomb of Horrors or one of the other older huge ones.

Waterdeep doesn't really need the same amount of work, between City of Splendours, Skullport, Waterdeep and the North, and Waterdeep: City of Splendours (different book from the first!). Taken together, those are already an almost overwhelming body of plots, NPCs, locations and suchlike. I would be very interested in that Undermountain document though, when you release it. :)

Well, sign me the :):):):) up! Are you going to put the same amount of work into Waterdeep itself? I've been beginning to wonder if they're going to instead to Tomb of Horrors or one of the other older huge ones.

I would love to detail Waterdeep like that. But as @Entsuropi mentions, it already has a bunch of info available for it. And UM is in the thousands hours to detail to my satisfaction.

For instance, even though many of the levels have had maps released in the past, none are useable today for two reasons; 1) None are done at a level of quality we would find acceptable today, 2) I've not been able to get anyone at WotC interested in discussing licensing. So, I do have permission to redo them using the same layout (so if you are familiar with the old poster maps or FRIA), but I have to do them anew. Plus, the mentioned but un-detailed changes that have happened here and there (like the destruction of Skullport and other places).

Then, I have to think out the various power groups, their goals and territories etc. Create plots, detail interactions that the DM can use to make the UM a living place rather than a static one.

Finally, don't forget the thousands of room descriptions, that I don't use a random generator to create. And, of course, all the monsters, traps and encounters :)

It's fun, but I'm not taking on anymore than the UM *G*

Thanks for the encouragement :)

designbot

Explorer
It's a given they're going to do something with the Tomb of Horrors eventually.

The tricky thing is that's not much of a clue. The Tomb is 20-pages of adventure. Even if they expand the pages given by 50% that's still a tenth of the pages they need to fill a book. And it's at the end. What's going on before? What takes the characters from level 1 to Acererak killing levels (not that you'll *ever* be able to hit a level where you reasonably face a demilich in a fair fight in these modules).

FWIW, Chris Perkins has already done a faithful 5e (well, "D&D Next") adaptation of Tomb of Horrors. It's on pages 68-112 of Dungeon Magazine, Issue 213 (including illustrations). It's for level 10-14.

Remove ads