• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spell focus requires 13 Cha?

evilbob

Explorer
Really? It's not supposed to have "or Wis 13" written in right after the 13 Cha part? At no point is "13 Wis" written in there?

I mean, clerics and warlocks are thinking, "What's the big deal?" - but wizards need to spend 2 points out of their point buy to pick up this one feat, and Cha does basically nothing for them otherwise? Is that right?

Sorry if this has been asked/debated before, but I honestly thought it was a typo when I read it.

Does everyone's book say that? :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's correct.

It's why wizards tend to start with a Chr. 12, and use the +1 to all abilities to bump it to 13 so you can take spell focus.

It's probably also why they have diplomacy as a skill, and a few charisma secondary powers I believe.

Wizards suffer a bit from MAD. The Arcane Reach feat is another case.

mattdm

First Post
evilbob said:
Really? It's not supposed to have "or Wis 13" written in right after the 13 Cha part? At no point is "13 Wis" written in there?

Yeah, see, on the one hand we have this complaint, and then on the other hand scads of threads complaining that the game encourages dump stats and requires only that your single primary stat be high. Turns out, not when you look at the whole picture.

evilbob

Explorer
Spell focus applies to "spells." I would assume this means anyone who uses spells, although I think cleric powers are called prayers, so yes, this wouldn't count. Can't remember what warlock powers are called. I'm sure other classes will come along.

Wizards are indeed very multi-attribute dependent. Either that, or you miss out on a couple of feats that seem to be very powerful no-brainer wizard abilities. I have to say, though, that the Cha 13 requirement really seems a bit... silly. I mean, what in the world does charisma have to do with negating someone's save chance, especially when all of your spells are based on Int? It's like they just threw that one out there specifically to make wizards blow 2 points. I honestly can't see any other reason for that requirement.

Spell focus is supposed to make spells better, not make wizards worse.

TimeOut

First Post
evilbob said:
Spell focus applies to "spells."
Yes, the wizard-specific feat Spell Focus applies to "spells". ;)
No seriously, the requirements are Cha 13 and Wizard class.

Edit: And it even says "wizard powers" in the feat description.

It's like they just threw that one out there specifically to make wizards blow 2 points. I honestly can't see any other reason for that requirement.
As I said: It is called balance.

Last edited:

Palladion

Adventurer
evilbob said:
Spell focus applies to "spells." I would assume this means anyone who uses spells, although I think cleric powers are called prayers, so yes, this wouldn't count. Can't remember what warlock powers are called. I'm sure other classes will come along.
Spell Focus feat specifically says "wizard powers" in the description (PH 206) and "wizard spells" in the short description (PH 206). Not really much consolation, I admit. If it was done as a game balance issue, I do not have an explanation.

There are always house rules.

ryryguy

First Post
evilbob said:
Wizards are indeed very multi-attribute dependent. Either that, or you miss out on a couple of feats that seem to be very powerful no-brainer wizard abilities. I have to say, though, that the Cha 13 requirement really seems a bit... silly. I mean, what in the world does charisma have to do with negating someone's save chance, especially when all of your spells are based on Int? It's like they just threw that one out there specifically to make wizards blow 2 points. I honestly can't see any other reason for that requirement.

You answer your own question. If these feats are indeed "powerful no-brainer wizard abilities", then every wizard will take them... unless they have prerequisites that not all wizards will meet. I think that is the goal - not to make wizards blow 2 points, but to make it so not every wizard has spell focus. (At least, not every low level one - with those +1 to all abilities levels, most wizards will qualify eventually.)

Yes, the wizard-specific feat Spell Focus applies to "spells".
No seriously, the requirements are Cha 13 and Wizard class.

So then, a warlock with the wizard multiclassing feat could take the feat and it would apply to his warlock spells, correct?
(edit)Ok, "wizard powers"... never mind then.

evilbob

Explorer
Palladion said:
Spell Focus feat specifically says "wizard powers" in the description (PH 206) and "wizard spells" in the short description (PH 206). Not really much consolation, I admit. If it was done as a game balance issue, I do not have an explanation.

There are always house rules.
Ok - I didn't have my book in front of me and didn't realize it specifically said wizard powers. That actually makes it much worse, since they are going even further down the "only one class needs this and it is outside their core functions entirely" path. I'm pretty sure the wizard description doesn't mention anything about Cha being important. In fact, unless you were carefully pondering all of your feat choices when you were creating the character, you would probably never stat yourself to be able to take this feat - and since you can't change your stats, you're pretty much boned, unless you spend your incredibly precious attribute bonuses on a stat that does nothing but give you this feat. (Even the example wizards I've seen aren't stated to take this feat!)

And I'm just not buying the "for balance" argument. The feat is balanced by making it a higher tier - that makes sense. Forcing a wizard to blow precious stat points on something completely outside their forte - that makes no sense.

And yes: there are always house rules. I think "Wis 15" or even "Int 19" - or even 21 - is a much better requirement than Cha 13.

Remove ads