D&D 5E Spell interaction conundrum

Ashrym

Legend
I think somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Two different people just said they hadn't seen technical language in the new edition. Sheesh! You must be a rules lawyer. Are you trying to be redundant, or is this how you talk regularly, Ashrym? Next time, how about replying to all of my post, though. Then we could have a conversation.

I stand by what I said.

I was simply repeating the terminology that clarifies the rule for emphasis because it is clear. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Sage Genesis

First Post
As a small aside, I don't think a 5e Wall of Force can stop a ghost from passing through either.

Ghosts can shift to the Ethereal plane, yes. But being incorporeal is a separate, unrelated effect. Being incorporeal is not the same as being ethereal - that's an assumption based on previous editions that 5e apparently hasn't carried over. So ghosts, not being physical objects, can pass through a Wall of Force because nothing in that spell's description implies it can stop them.

On top of that, the Etherealness spell describes what happens to those who are ethereal. And it lacks the 1d10 damage that all incorporeal creatures take when they end their turn inside the space of another creature. Further evidence that "ethereal" and "incorporeal" are not the same thing. Being ethereal is a matter of location, being incorporeal is a matter of... well, matter.

Remove ads