D&D 5E Spell Point Warlocks?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
This has been part of my thinking. Changing them to spell points may require changing how invocations work, giving less at-will stuff and instead expanding on what they can do with their points.
Takign away their uniqueness to make them more like everyone else seems why have a separate class. I would go in the opposite direction.

Xeviat

Hero
Takign away their uniqueness to make them more like everyone else seems why have a separate class. I would go in the opposite direction.

I'd rather see the warlock as a nearly fully at-will class as it is. What I'm wondering is would a spell point warlock be too powerful with it's invocations. Getting a feel for that would help me get a feel for how short rest spell points would affect the other casters, if they'd need invocation-like toys or if the perceived cheapness of low level spells would make them feel practically at-will.

kae

First Post
those of you who tried converting the Warlock to spell points, how did you tackle the invocations that say " do X by expending a spell slot"?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Agreed. Getting rid of their spell slots and giving them roughly double the number of invocations instead would make them way more interesting.
Yep. Give them 12 Invocations, change the ones boosting Eldritch Blast to affect all attack cantrips and change Hex to a class ability.

Make warlock new invocations for the warlock specific spells to be used without spell slots.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
One idea I just had:

Spell Points: Sorcerer
Short Rest Known: Bard
Short Rest + Prepared: Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Paladin
At-will: Warlock
Long rest + Prepared: Wizard, AT, EK

NotAYakk

Legend
I wrote up a Gadgeteer Arificier based on short-rest pseudo-"spell point" budget here:

I based it off of aiming for "half a warlock"'s spellcasting per short rest (as an Artificer is a half caster, rounded up).

It uses 1 point per spell level instead of the RAW 2/3/5/6/7/9/10/11/13. Partly to keep it simple, and partly because the gadgeteer is a Vancian spellpoint caster (they have to spend the points to build the spell casting item during the rest), so permitting a higher variety of low level gadgets they can build "just in case" seemed like a reasonable buff.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Cross-post from the other Spell Points thread:
I disagree. You just need to give them a different spell point progression.

LevelPoints

That gets you the same output as the default warlock if you always cast at the highest level you can, and gives warlocks the ability to cast at lower levels if they want to, which might help them out especially in games where you can’t reliably get the expected number of short rests.
This is of course assuming warlocks recover their spell points on a short rest, rather than a long rest.

Also, re: 2 points per level, it works out more smoothly if you do 2 points per level up to 10th and 1 point per level thereafter.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
those of you who tried converting the Warlock to spell points, how did you tackle the invocations that say " do X by expending a spell slot"?
Have them cost a flat number of spell points to activate - same cost as a slot of the invocation’s base spell level.

Remove ads