• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellcasting Prodigy - Whats the beef?

Oni

First Post
I've noticed a lot of people ripping on the feat Spellcasting Prodigy, often citing it as how a feat can go wrong, or as a sign of the general brokeness of the Forgotten Realms. I've read the feat over and over again, but honestly I must be missing something. Can someone explain what the big deal is?

dagger

Adventurer
Just one of those cases where knee jerk reaction happens because of how it looks to someone on paper. In actual play though, it is really not that big of a deal and is fine.

Take your primary spellcasting stat and give it a +2 bonus when you use it to determine anything spell related.

Basically you get a few more spells, can cast spells of a higher max level, and your DC goes up by 2.

Randolpho said:
I don't have the FRCS, care to post the wording of the feat so I can give an opinion? :D

Wolfen Priest

First Post
I have to admit to not knowing the exact wording of the feat either... but ever since the $40 FRCS came out (which I didn't buy), I kept hearing rants along the lines of "the feat is broken because there is no logical reason a player wouldn't choose it!"

Without even knowing the specifics of the feat, I tend to agree that, if true, that would make anything in a game broken. And, if you check the threads relating to "what feats should my spellcaster take?" there is almost invariably (IMO) a reference to that feat. In other words, If you don't take it, you're apparently not maximizing your character.

Doesn't it give you an effective +2 to your INT/CHA for casting purposes? I agree, it seems there wouldn't be many spellcasters who would not therefore be "prodigies;" and that's a little silly.

Of course, I don't have the FRCS, so I don't know that much about it.

mikebr99

Explorer
And it can only be taken during character creation, for a specific class... if the guys decides to go another way after that, he is SOL.

Apok

First Post
Basically, the Spellcasting Prodigy feat causes a Spellcaster's primary spellcasting stat (Int, Cha or Wis depending on class) to be considered 2 points higher for purposes of determining DC's and Bonus Spells. It can only be taken at first level.

The screaming and howling comes from those people who feel that there is no reason for any spellcaster to not take this feat at first level. I think this is a load of bollocks. As a spellcaster, there are plenty of feats that are great to have (Spell Focus & Greater Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Improved & Reactive Counterspell, Armored Spellcasting, Quicken Spell, Empower Spell, the Craft Magic Item feats, etc.) but since most spellcasters don't get many feats, they have to really choose them carefully. While this feat may help out low to mid level spellcasters, it's value tends to drop off dramatically at higher levels when you wish you had taken Spell Penetration instead.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I wouldn't waste a feat slot on it. I'd just cheat and bump my INT (or whatever) up by 2 points. I mean, really, I never ever actually roll my stats. I just pick numbers I like. :D

Randolpho

First Post
Hmm....

I'm afraid I have to agree. No feat should grant additional spells.

However, as DM, I would allow it without granting additional spells.

Apok

First Post
EricNoah said:
I wouldn't waste a feat slot on it. I'd just cheat and bump my INT (or whatever) up by 2 points. I mean, really, I never ever actually roll my stats. I just pick numbers I like. :D

Dirty pool, old man! I like it! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads