Spelljammer [Spelljammer] Illithid to Remain "100% bad guys" -- Neogi maybe not?

I really like the classic book covers. They looked like actual magic books.
Maybe I'm just too much of an art student, but the 3E covers looked to me just like someone's first-year-at-art school attempt to make an objet trouvé-based quasi-collage to rather cheaply and obviously evoke magic-book tropes. I mean, I get what they were going for, but I give them a C- at best.

Christ I thought that was Mirt as in Mirt the Moneylender for a minute there, and they were just straight up situating Spelljammer in the Forgotten Realms, but it turns out it's another Mirt.
Was that sarcasm? In case not, it is the same Mirt, and Spelljammer Academy (like all Adventurers League material) starts in the the Forgotten Realms. "Realmspace" has always been a thing in Spelljammer. One of the reasons for the setting was to link the existing campaign settings.

Assuming they're wanting to excise the slavery aspect, I might be inclined to make Neogi ruthless gourmands who love to feast on humanoid flesh - that way they still have motivation to hunt people down, they'll still be almost universally hated, but they probably won't be quite as much of a hot button issue.

I'm actually a little disappointed at the answer re:Illithids. One of the more interesting aspects of the original Spelljammer was the ambiguity surrounding that race - it wasn't quite as obvious as before that they were monolithically evil. They're very much the Vorlons of the setting.
Glad we live in a world where cannibalsm of sentient beings is not a hot button issue.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Christ I thought that was Mirt as in Mirt the Moneylender for a minute there, and they were just straight up situating Spelljammer in the Forgotten Realms, but it turns out it's another Mirt.
No it's Mirt the Moneylender. Mirt the Merciless is another title of his. Also the Spelljammer Academy Adventure is outright stated to start in the Forgotten Realms, which has always been connected to the Spelljammer (Realmspace was a book for a reason)

delericho

Legend
Glad we live in a world where cannibalsm of sentient beings is not a hot button issue.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago
It may be weird, but cannibalism just isn't a hot button issue in gaming in the same way as slavery.

As a consequence of Black Lives Matter, WotC have decided that racial tensions, and especially slavery, aren't suitable fodder for their entertainment products. They've been strongly de-emphasising, if not outright removing, them ever since. (The same has been happening with sexual traumas, due to MeToo.)

There's no equivalent mass movement decrying centuries of cannibalistic oppression. Which, when you think about it, is a good thing.

Remove ads