• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Spelljammer Shows Up In The Wild - Check Out The Tables of Contents

Copies of Spelljammer are starting to show up. Mike Long of Tribality is in receipt of the books and has tweeted some photos!

Copies of Spelljammer are starting to show up. Mike Long of Tribality is in receipt of the books and has tweeted some photos!

2.jpeg

052C4CBE-625B-4E6A-8005-D549BB9BC634.jpeg

31C64296-9C83-406C-B915-BA6C3305CE25.jpeg

1.jpeg

Remathilis

Legend
From Reddit, it's been confirmed that the book says nothing about giving Feats at 1st to other Backgrounds.
Sigh...

I get that tough and magic initiate (cleric) aren't exactly top picks for feats, but the fact they are free and have far more impact than free lodging or meeting a noble in most D&D campaigns.

I guess I'll get working on a list of bonus feats for level one so as not to have all the PCs picking two backgrounds...

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I suspect it's because WotC still doesn't think it's worth supporting high level play since so few groups get past level 10 or so.
Yeah. I just thought that they learned that people like high-level monsters after they published Mordenkainen's. Van Richten's and Fizban's had quite a few high CR monsters, too.

It's not a huge deal, just a bit disappointing, IMO. This would have been an amazing time to show off how awesome and terrifying high CR cosmic monsters could be in 5e.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Sorry. I don't see the huge difference. Destroy Dark Sun is still destroy Dark Sun. Yes, release Dark Sun and set it in the past of the current D&D game "timeline". Got it. You're still destroying Dark Sun in the "present". That's the problem. I'd rather they not do that. It makes things pointlessly complicated.
It would be like publishing a First World campaign setting book. Sure, you can play in the setting, fight in the Dawn War (which probably took place on the First World), and do whatever you want before the world ends. The fact that the world is ending and has ended in the metaplot's present doesn't mean your campaign is meaningless or the setting is any worse. It just means that the game you're playing takes place before the present day in 5e.

I really don't see how this would be an issue. Sure, it would "destroy Athas", but Athas being destroyed is kind of inevitable, anyway.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's kind of funny that a lot of people were speculating that Spelljammer would be the cameo setting, because it's gotten so many cameos in 5e so far, but it turns out to be the other way around.
I'm not surprised at all Dark Sun is the cameo. You can't release a Dark Sun conversion without psionics, and they haven't managed to make a version that fits the setting.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I'm sold. (To be honest, I was sold long before.) This looks like a really nice update to Spelljammer. I hope the adventure will be as engaging as it seems.
As for Doomspace vs Athasspace: I sense a bit of light trolling going on. Dark Sun will be a big undertaking. I don't know that they will be able to fit all the monsters from Athas in an updated setting book/box/bottle so we will get dribbles released, just like we did with Spelljammer monsters. I imagine Doomspace will function as a 'What if...' of Athas. What if you didn't defeat Kalak and he ascended to become a second Dragon? What if Borys failed to keep Rajaat imprisoned? You can set the stakes for Athas with the Black Sun of Doom.
We are a long way from Dark Sun being released. We are a bit closer with the Ssusuran defiler possibly showing our first look at defiling. Maybe next year or maybe 2024.

Exactly. I’m all for there being an Athas-like planet that you can fly your spelljammer to and have Barsoom adventures on. It would be much more difficult to get me onboard with that planet actually being Athas. This seems like a great solution to get some of that Dark Sun flavor in your Spelljammer adventure without harming the isolation element of Dark Sun itself.
Glad I'm not the only one who sees the importance of a Barsoom type planet! I am building my own home system but there will be a "fantasy Mars" and it sounds like a lot of the Dark Sun monsters will go nicely there, as well as a "fantasy Venus" of sultry jungles and swamps and lush forests. Home to the nice elves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads