D&D 5E Spiritual Guardians question

The relevant AoE rule says "Typically, a point of origin is a point in space, but some spells have an area whose origin is a creature or an object." It also says that "Each creature takes up a different amount of space" and that Small and Medium creatures take up a five foot square. This means that the radius of the spell is emanating from a PCs five foot square, which makes the sphere's diameter 5' longer than it would be if the point of origin was a point in space.

In addition, remember that the PC's five foot square is also a part of the sphere's area of effect: "A sphere’s point of origin is included in the sphere’s area of effect."
Cough cough. "Point of origin". Not "region of origin."

Spirit Guardians has a 30' diameter. It never has a 35' diameter.

Someone who is one or two grid squares away from you is definitely affected. Someone three grid squares away is right on the edge and may or may not be affected, based on how you rule being partially within an AoE (for all spells, not just Spirit Guardians). IMO it is best to rule that being partially within an AoE generally subjects you to the effect, but also be flexible about things like "can I suck in my gut and hug the wall and avoid it?" Reply: "Sure, but you're at half speed and disadvantage while you do so, as if squeezing into a smaller space."

IOW, take advantage of the fact that you're playing an RPG with infinite resolution and a realtime DM, and not just a preprogrammed CRPG.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using EN World mobile app

Ganymede81

First Post
Cough cough. "Point of origin". Not "region of origin."

As I quoted above, while a "point of origin" is typically a "point in space," a "point of origin" is sometimes a creature. Creatures are not zero-dimensional dots; creatures take up space.

The wording is certainly muddy and alternative interpretations could be drawn, but why even make a distinction between points in space and objects/creatures if it doesn't matter?

Your suggestion is an alternative way to handle it, but the DMG does have this to say about applying circular AoEs to a grid: "Choose an intersection of squares or hexes as the point of origin of an area of effect, then follow its rules as normal."

practicalm

Explorer
Yes, but you probably need to make up your mind about allies/enemies when you cast the spell.
That is, do new people entering the battlefield half way through the combat count as enemies or allies?

As per spell description you have to be able to see your allies at the start of the spell casting to exclude them from the effects. Too bad people coming around the corner later and invisible or hidden party members.

Remove ads