Spoilers: Some guy in Friends & Family playtest apparently violates his NDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Autoexreginated
for some reason that sounded a lot like a 4e game.

How so? We have a thief with variable backstab, wizards and clerics with daily spells, and saving throws that people roll defensively against, as opposed to being static target DCs by attackers. You have some 4E elements mixed in, but reading that report in terms of what people could do, as opposed to terms being thrown around, it looked a heck of a lot like many D&D games prior to 4E that I've played.

Even the Invisibility, which works like 4E, would still easily fit in an AD&D game -- you can move or do whatever you want, and the invisibility stays up - but as soon as you attack, you drop the invisibility.

Are there feats and trade-offs mentioned that give you more 4E-ish stuff? Yes, but the core is looking more like 1E D&D to me. As mentioned, this just sounds like a mixed playtest to test a lot of options at once to see what sticks.

Astrosicebear

First Post
It's fake.

More like...
its_a_trick_get_an_axe_postcard-p239495997790727810z8iat_400.jpg

Paraxis

Explorer
This is the first bit of news in a while that gives me hope for D&Dnext. It does sound like they are testing stuff grounded in 4E. I was begining to be concerned it was going to look something like Dragon Age or a retro clone, wich can be fun is not what I want out of a "new" edition of D&D.

The opposed rolls for both setting the DC and making the save just sound like redundant.

I understand players like to roll dice on their turn, thats cool and I understand making a save in 4e is a boring coin toss but the opposed roll is not a good solution.

I love gish characters when I get a chance to play and the fact they seem to be thinking of them from the get go is promising too.

Mercurius

Legend
That's it, I'm done. Not only with 5E, but D&D altogether. And Wizards of the Coast. And, while I'm at it, RPGs altogether. Might as well throw hobbies in the pyre, too, or any activities of fun. I hate life.

[/satire]

Astrosicebear

First Post
The opposed rolls for both setting the DC and making the save just sound like redundant.

I understand players like to roll dice on their turn, thats cool and I understand making a save in 4e is a boring coin toss but the opposed roll is not a good solution.

In the post's defense, there were two wizards with different mechanics. One had set DC's, the non vancian. The Vancian, however, appeared to have to roll to set DCs.

All of this could be feats, as the "flame javelin" is. Or testing mechanics.

But more than likely, and from comments of some DM's who ran games at D&DXP, its a buncha hoopla designed to troll up the interwebs.

Jack99

Adventurer
Wasn't the playtest based on B2 or something? Doesn't sound like the adventures outlined..

EDIT: Ninja'ed by P-Kitty and Shroomy.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Listen to Piratecat; its a complete fake. Well, not complete, since the guy took snippets of stuff from the seminars and weaved them into his account. Bravo good sir! I had to check my calendar to see if it was April 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads