Spring Ceramic DM™: WINNER POSTED!

carpedavid

First Post
I've really enjoyed reading all of the stories in the competition thus far. Across the board, the quality has been better than what I'd been expecting, with some really great standouts.

In particular, the Orchid Blossom/Mythago match was fantastic. When I read Orchid Blossom's entry, I thought, "holy *bleep*, that was good." Then I read Mythago's and thought, "holy *bleep*-ing *bleep*, that was good."

I thought AlSiH2O's story was another standout - the wood witch caught my interest, and makes me want to run a d20 Modern game.

The other entry that played fetch with my imagination was the story by RangerWickett. It's far too easy to make the "modern setting where mythology is real" dark and foreboding (it's certianly the tendency I have, as a GM), so the humor in this story provided a refreshing counterpoint to the drama and tension. All I could think of, when I finished reading, was, "Man, I *really* want to play in that world."

Kudos to all so far. When I saw the initial sign-up thread, I contemplated entering. After reading all of these entries, I think that next time I must.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Another one written up and sent off to the great overlord Piratecat.
Now my tired brain demands sleep :)

My appologies to those still waiting for the judges comments on their rounds - I've ended up moving house over the next two weeks, so my weekend suddenly shifted from "Reading Ceramic DM and watching Sinbad movies" to "Pack up the horde of bookshelves and drive them two hours north to my new home." I'm hoping to have the last of the first round judging done by the end of the weekend, but it may end up being pushed back to Monday afternoon.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Match 2-3 will be Zhaneel vs. RangerWickett. Eel vs. Ewok death cage challenge! When do you folks want your photos?

Last edited:

Piratecat said:
Match 2-3 will be Zhaneel vs. RangerWickett. Eel vs. Ewok death cage challenge! When do you folks want your photos?

What are our options? (i.e., I'm busy until Tuesday, so can we get the photos Saturday or Sunday, pretty please?)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Sunday night's fine with me. Saturday's not; one of my gaming buddies from high school just got back safely from a year in Iraq, so I'm headed down to CT to go be joyous. Other than that, we're fairly flexible.

Last edited:

Zhaneel

First Post
Piratecat said:
[Arwink]I did like the picture use in this story, although the conversion of the first image into a throwaway metaphor rather than a story element is either brilliant or a quick escape, depending on the point of view the reader chooses to take.

I like to think it is brilliant. :)

Thanks for the note on passive sentences.
Piratecat said:
When I first read Zhaneel's story, I went through a couple of stages: delight at the girl who was effectively invisible, disappointment when I thought it was going to turn into a traditional "girl enters new world to come of age and find herself," and glee when the end turned tricky. This was good writing; it played with the reader's expectations quite nicely, using literary jujitsu to take a cliche' and make it transcend expectations.

Whoo. Literary jujitsu. And that is more or less the process I went through while writing. Hey! Neat story idea pounds brain. Ugh, but it is cliche as all hell. Well, maybe if I do this...

Thanks everyone. A couple of people have convinced me that there is something worth polishing in this story, so I'll let y'all know if this goes on.

Zhaneel

Zhaneel

First Post
Piratecat said:

Actually, Gryphon (Mercades Lackey) but sure whatever.

Ugh, next week sucks. Umm... the hard one for me is that my weeknights are rather full & I work. Would it be too much to ask for a Friday morning posting (due Monday morning)?

Zhaneel

Speaker

First Post
RangerWickett, congrats on the utterly well deserved win. I would have voted for you myself, in an instant - I had the luxury of not being in too much suspense over the last few days.

Judges, you made a number of excellent comments, and I thank you for your consideration. I only wish I had spent more effort and time on this rounds showing - but having not, I am glad that the right man won!

I bow out - but will continue to observe these wonderful tales.

Cheers,
Speaker

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Gryphon! Of course. no eels involved at all. Although that just gave me a really good idea for a monster....

Zhaneel said:
Ugh, next week sucks. Umm... the hard one for me is that my weeknights are rather full & I work. Would it be too much to ask for a Friday morning posting (due Monday morning)?

I would really rather not push it that far back if I can possibly avoid it. I'll accede if there's no other choice, but making the competition larger means that we need to avoid as much "dead time" as we can. I'd rather give out the photos today! You folks know your responsibilities better than I do, though. RW, is this weekend really impossible for you?

Take a look at your schedules, guys, and let me know if you have any flexibility.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases